Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shocking Stat About Orakpo

KingGibbs

Before I even post that "shocking stat" I am in no, way shape or form advocating, suggesting or want 'Rak on any other team other than the B&G. Loive the kid and he's only going to get better. Got it? Good.

Now to the stat I am referring to:

Out of Orakpo's 25 career sacks, his grand total against the NFC East opponents is.......................

You read that right. One half of a sack. I heard it on 980 and it stopped me from doing what I was doing.

yeah, i knew there was something like that out there ...

well, the kid has talent, we know that.

I am chalking this up to the other coaches finding ways to neutralize Brian and our coaches not doing anything about it. I mean, it is not like he gives up when an NFC east game is going down, right?

Before I even post that "shocking stat" I am in no, way shape or form advocating, suggesting or want 'Rak on any other team other than the B&G. Got it? Good.

Now to the stat I am referring to:

Out of Orakpo's 25 career sacks, his grand total against the NFC East opponents is.......................

.5. You read that right. One half of a sack. I heard it on 980 and it stopped me from doing what I was doing.

I ranted about this on the podcast last night man. The problem to me isn't that he only has .5 (though it is a problem) the guy said that sacks in the east are tougher to get so he will get his outside of the division. Pissed me off sooo bad, I mean REALLY. You are here to PLAY AGAINST THE EAST.... don't telll me that you will pad your numbers outside the division.

I ranted about this on the podcast last night man. The problem to me isn't that he only has .5 (though it is a problem) the guy said that sacks in the east are tougher to get so he will get his outside of the division. Pissed me off sooo bad, I mean REALLY. You are here to PLAY AGAINST THE EAST.... don't telll me that you will pad your numbers outside the division.

c'mon man ... you actually belive that brian meant that ... you have heard this guy talk, you have seen him play, and you are taking that to heart.

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

But he has an inordinate number of hold calls drawn against NFC East opponents

great point ... that is 10 yards right there, no loss of down, but almost as good as a sack.

c'mon man ... you actually belive that brian meant that ... you have heard this guy talk, you have seen him play, and you are taking that to heart.

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

I don't know how he could even say that man... I mean when someone asks you about only having half a sack in the east I want to hear...yeah i do but im going to change that this week ya know not oh well ill get mine elsewhere but thats just me.

great point ... that is 10 yards right there, no loss of down, but almost as good as a sack.

Yeah, I heard this also on the Kevin Sheehan show today.

I don't know what it is really. Take a look at the quarterbacks he played against in the East as compared to outside the division. Now where it really gets challenging is when Sheehan and Galdy started making assertions of Orakpo not being an elite talent...

I'm not sure how many would take it, but to me that notion is not too far off. Aside from the many holding calls that have been missed over these past years, has Orakpo really ever stood out to you as much as Kerrigan has this season. Many can argue that they're benefiting from each other, but it's Kerrigan who been taking advantage as opposed to Orakpo.

Before we start talking about an ankle injury that has been lingering Orakpo this season, ask yourself would you be at all upset if this team decided to draft another pure DE/ LB talent in next years class?

I don't know what it is really. Take a look at the quarterbacks he played against in the East as compared to outside the division. Now where it really gets challenging is when Sheehan and Galdy started making assertions of Orakpo not being an elite talent...

I'm not sure how many would take it, but to me that notion is not too far off. Aside from the many holding calls that have been missed over these past years, has Orakpo really ever stood out to you as much as Kerrigan has this season. Many can argue that they're benefiting from each other, but it's Kerrigan who been taking advantage as opposed to Orakpo.

Before we start talking about an ankle injury that has been lingering Orakpo this season, ask yourself would you be at all upset if this team decided to draft another pure DE/ LB talent in next years class?

Last night Phillip Daniels had said that Orakpo is better suited with his hand in the dirt because he has the raw power and explosion to kill o linemen with the leverage he gets in a 3pt stance. Phil also said Rak could benefit from talking to guys like D Ware and learning a few more moves.

I don't think he is not elite talent at all, until he figures out the 3-4 OLB it looks like another case of neutralizing player talent for scheme.

Of course this means that all his other sacks are meaningless.

What a dumb stat, who cares? It doesn't mean anything. There are 3 things which it could mean. 1). the NFCE opponents have the best tackles (Bull****) 2). Orakpo doesn't play as well only in divisional games (Bull****)

Or 3). If you understand simple statistics it is a small sample size and will likely even itself out over the course of time, plus the penalties and non calls he gets in the game..

So stupid, yea lets just put aside all these sacks as a means to discredit him

I wish there was a stat out there for being held, because I'm 100% sure I've heard RAK is one of the most held rushers in the NFL.

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but of the top 15 teams in penalties against we have played against:

Carolina (3rd)

St. Louis (5th)

Arizona (5th)

San Fransisco (7th)

Dallas (12th)

Philadelphia (15th)

That is kind of interesting. I agree with others that Kerrigan has looked more impressive this year. Now maybe that's because teams are paying more attention to Orakpo, I don't really know. But I feel like Orakpo could do better. We've seen games where he looks unstoppable and then others where you barely notice him. Great pass rushers don't disappear during games.

I'm not disagreeing with you or could it be that Rak usually lines up against the Left tackle if not all the time but most time and is facing a much better lineman. I wonder how his stats would be this year if Haslett would rotate Rak and Karrigan around some. Maybe even rush them from the same side.

That is kind of interesting. I agree with others that Kerrigan has looked more impressive this year. Now maybe that's because teams are paying more attention to Orakpo, I don't really know. But I feel like Orakpo could do better. We've seen games where he looks unstoppable and then others where you barely notice him. Great pass rushers don't disappear during games.

If you have noticed, teams have tendancies to give TE help with the LT, leaving Kerrigan against the RT (who is not as talented as the LT anyway). Kerrigan is good, but I think that teams scheme for Orakpo.

Only if it wasn't a consensus value pick in the third round or later.

I am chalking this up to the other coaches finding ways to neutralize Brian and our coaches not doing anything about it. I mean, it is not like he gives up when an NFC east game is going down, right?

Most teams don't appear to do anything too special to neutralize Orakpo. His technique is just underdeveloped relative to what we need him to be.

Or 3). If you understand simple statistics it is a small sample size and will likely even itself out over the course of time, plus the penalties and non calls he gets in the game..

So stupid, yea lets just put aside all these sacks as a means to discredit him

It's not actually a small sample size by NFL standards, though. He's played 15 full games against NFC East opponents in his career. If he had four sacks in that span you could maybe say that the numbers would level out but half a sack is just plain worrisome.

Even if he's not elite, he is still a Pro Bowl caliber player. So yes, another 3-4 OLB would be a wasted pick in my opinion when we should be throwing darts to try and fill out the offensive line and NT position.

Don't understand the point of this thread.

Are you saying Orakpo has been a liability against the NFC East? Are you saying we should try somebody else? Pointing out a fact is fine, but there's no discussion to start. I kind of expected a B2A...

Oh geez. So many thin-skinned on this site. I would be having this same conversation with friends at dinner, the gym, etc because like I said I was shocked to hear that he only has .5 sack against the NFC East. I think it's discussion worthy. If you or others don't? Than ignore it. K?

The numbers say Orakpo's probably an elite pass rusher, he'll probably finish with double digit sacks for the 2nd time in 3 years. But when I think of elite pass rushers, I think of guys that wreak havoc game in and game out and can't really be blocked one on one. Demarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney used to be in that class. Just by the eye test, I know what Sheehan and Galdi were getting at, and I don't know if Rak is in that group. But he's still a very good pass rusher.

what i dont understand about rak is why he never tries to go inside. he gets held a lot on the outside and its obvious now that hes never gonna get that call. so go inside? do a spin move? switch it up. the guy is one of the most if not THE most athletic dudes on our team, im surprised he never tries the inside.

pretty weird if you ask me.

Archived