Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shutdown Corner (Yahoo! Sports Blog): Earl Bennett is very committed to bright orange footwear

ACW

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Earl-Bennett-is-very-committed-to-bright-orange-?urn=nfl-wp11947

earl_bennett_is_very_committed_to_bright_orange_footwear.jpg

Undeterred by the humorless and fashion-deaf uniform police at league headquarters, Bennett went ahead and wore them again in Week 10 against the Detroit Lions. That cost him $10,000, even as they looked so smooth paired with the Bears' alternate orange jerseys. What about Week 11, when the Bears play the San Diego Chargers? Bennett won't commit one way or the other. He does know, though, that if his feet are orange-clad again, the fines and punishments mount.

Bennett told ESPN 1000 on Tuesday that the fines will continue to increase for future infractions, beginning with $15,000 this Sunday against San Diego, then $20,000 the next week.

"After that I've heard that they are going to call (a) delay of game and maybe kick me out of the game," Bennett said.

Really Goodell and co? REALLY?

6vxiQ9JCKvE

NFL's a business. They have a dress code. There's nothing wrong with it.

If your company you works for has a dress code, and you break it, do you not expect to receive consequences?

But this dress code makes no damn sense (besides, the orange shoes actually mesh well).

If your company you works for has a dress code, and you break it, do you not expect to receive consequences?

There's nothing illegal about it, but there's arguably something wrong about it.

In a business, where everyone is an independent contractor, and the only way to get ahead is to find a way to stand out, the NFL is instituting rules that make that very difficult. No excessive celebrations, no "flare" allowed in your uniform, and the big one, you're never allowed to take your helmet off on the field, whether or not a play is happening (i.e. no one can ever see your face while you're playing). It severely limits the way these players can market themselves.

Now one can argue that, "well, the way a person should get ahead is through hard word, not through gimmicks." And if I were an idealist I'd agree with you. But we've all seen the guy who kisses the bosses ass, or the attractive lady move her way up in life faster than the guy or girls who shows up on time and works his or her ass off every day. That's just the way it is. And also, good luck, if you aren't a quarterback (How often do you see a commercial where a non QB NFL star has to be unnaturally introduced, so the audience knows who they are? The Geico caveman says, "you are Brian Orakpo, all-pro linebacker. Surely you can do better than this.")

Not to say I feel bad for these players. They all make way more money than I do. I'm only saying that some of the NFLs rules are designed to prevent players from standing out on the job, and that, by it's nature, is oppressive.

I find it petty, on both ends, but mostly on the player. It's not like this guy HAS to wear orange shoes, it's not like it improves his play, or it's something he's done all his life. He knows he's not supposed to. He's doing it to be stubborn and difficult.

If Tebow can deal with not putting bible verses on his face, this guy can put the right freakin shoes on.

The one problem I have is that each player may have a different shoe contract with a different shoe company. I'd be OK with some players on Chicago wearing black, white, navy blue or orange cleats as long as they are in the team colors. I noticed some Redskins wear black, gold or burgundy cleats. Players also wear different color gloves. I've always thought the NFL fashion police were too hard on the players.

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

I find it petty, on both ends, but mostly on the player. It's not like this guy HAS to wear orange shoes, it's not like it improves his play, or it's something he's done all his life. He knows he's not supposed to. He's doing it to be stubborn and difficult.

If Tebow can deal with not putting bible verses on his face, this guy can put the right freakin shoes on.

Players are really superstitous. If he had a great game in the Orange shoes, he'll probably want to keep wearing them. Bible verses are a little different then shoe colors.

NFL Rule: Teams must be a black or white shoe team which is declared prior to the season. You are allowed one accent color!

The common sense rule would be: Shoe color limited to black, white, or any of the teams official colors.

I like sneakers and new designs so personally I think those orange cleats are cool with that uniform. Reminds me of when OKC wore the orange KD2's

thunder-orange-shoes.jpg?w=510&h=411

Yeah, "If you were at your own job and you violated the dress code," yada yada yada. I tend to not use that "If you/your employer" lingo that much. The NFL is the NFL. I do however, smh at Bennet's willingness to give up 10k, being the poor **** a year and a half removed from college that I am.

I like the bright orange look with the alternate uni though. Sunkist cleats ftw

Archived