Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Fred Smoot speaking more Redskins truths

brandymac27

Got this from Hap in BRBN:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/fred-smoot-speaking-more-redskins-truths/2011/11/16/gIQAUqIZRN_blog.html#pagebreak

Fred Smoot wasn’t super shy about offering his advice to the Redskins while he was still a Redskin, perhaps most memorably to me in his “draft fat boys” speech.

But he’s gotten even more expansive in his thoughts on the franchise during his two years out of the NFL, and now he is like a non-ranting, non-swearing, non-spittle-spewing fan, delivering the comprehensive critique rationally and yet with passion.

I mean, I guess this stuff isn’t quantum physics, but Smoot is doing it well. These nuggets come from his appearance this week on 106.7 The Fan’s LaVar and Dukes Show.

Bottom Feeding

“I’m not saying the players we do have are bad or they’re not playing good; what I’m saying is we’re three or four great players away from being on the standard that [the other NFC East teams] have set. Right now...and since I’ve been playing, we’ve been the bottom feeders feelers of the NFC East, and the culture has to change. It’s not just the preparation; it’s a lot coming with turning a team around, and I don’t think they’re doing it right now.”

Coaching

“This is how I feel about the Redskins, this is what we do: we get the best leftovers in the NFL. Joe Gibbs is the only home-grown coach we’ve had in the last 15 years. We went and got Shanahan that I felt was over the hill. Is he capable? Yes, he’s capable. Is he a Super Bowl -inning coach? Yes, he is. But has football passed him in this present time? I don’t know.”

Player Development

“Everybody thinks going out and getting personnel is drafting the best guy in the first round. No, that’s not going out and getting personnel. When are we gonna start to see fourth-, fifth-rounders, free agents blossom into PLAYERS. The Giants are great at this, they’re great at finding players that they know can play and developing them. We never did that. The guys that we developed, the Antonio Pierces, we let ‘em go to the Giants. We’re not raising our own....

“You’ve got to raise your own. Look at the players we’ve let go over the years. Champ Bailey has no business being a Denver Bronco. Antonio Pierce had no business leaving and going to be a New York Giant. If we just keep the guys that we drafted, if we nurture them and say all right we’re gonna give you time to turn into the player that we thought you could be, I think the Redskins WOULD be on top. Because let’s not kid ourselves, in the last 10 years we’ve drafted some great NFL players. And like anybody, you’re gonna pick some wrong seeds every once in a while, but we’ve drafted some great players. They’ve just been great for other teams.”

Impatience

“The one thing we have seen, we’ve been very impatient. C’mon, look at a guy like me, I had eight different coordinators. We’ve been very impatient. Besides Coach Gibbs...we’ve let no one stick their feet in and say all right I’ve got four years, five years to create a championship culture, I’ve got time to draft my own players and make this thing work. Too much change. It’ll kill any football player.”

Jason Campbell

“The only difference between Tom Brady and Jason Campbell is Tom Brady had one coach the whole time he’s been in the league. He’s looking to one face, he’s played one scheme. Jason Campbell has had five, six offensive coordinators. He hasn’t had a chance to be a great pro. And that’s what I tell anybody. You think it takes just talent to be an All-Pro player? It takes talent, luck and falling on the right team. And right now we’re not handling our players right, we’re not handling the team right.”

Talking

“Remember, y’all can call me any time, guys. I talk in my sleep, I talk when I’m awake, y’all can call me any time.”

That part made me :ols:

One thing...

Why does everyone forget that Champ Bailey had pretty much said he wasn't going to be coming back and threatened to sit out of training camp if he got franchised tagged. It was actually a supremely smart move by the otherwise completely dimwitted Vinny Cerrato to move Champ and get draft picks and Clinton Portis in return. Champ didn't want to be here, he wasn't going to resign here, and he acted kind of like a douche, so he got traded.

Also, Jason Campbell would never be Tom Brady. Even as a guy who thinks JC got a raw deal, he would've never been Tom Brady. Successful? Yes. Tom Brady? No.

The thing about Fred is, even though he's being honest and he kind of has a point about stuff, he's been out of the lockerroom and out of Redskins Park for two years. So much of what he's saying just seems dated and doesn't seem to pertain a lot of what the Redskins are doing now.

He doesn't come off as bitter as a dude like LaVar, but he just seems a little bit out of touch with the things going on now.

One thing...

Why does everyone forget that Champ Bailey had pretty much said he wasn't going to be coming back and threatened to sit out of training camp if he got franchised tagged. It was actually a supremely smart move by the otherwise completely dimwitted Vinny Cerrato to move Champ and get draft picks and Clinton Portis in return. Champ didn't want to be here, he wasn't going to resign here, and he acted kind of like a douche, so he got traded.

I agree with you. I'm a firm believer that if a player doesn't want to play here, help them pack their bags and get them the heck out.

Coaching

“We went and got Shanahan that I felt was over the hill. Is he capable? Yes, he’s capable. Is he a Super Bowl -inning coach? Yes, he is. But has football passed him in this present time? I don’t know.”

Impatience

“...we’ve let no one stick their feet in and say all right I’ve got four years, five years to create a championship culture, I’ve got time to draft my own players and make this thing work. Too much change. It’ll kill any football player.”

Define: "Talking out of both sides of mouth"

One thing...

Also, Jason Campbell would never be Tom Brady. Even as a guy who thinks JC got a raw deal, he would've never been Tom Brady. Successful? Yes. Tom Brady? No.

Why does everyone forget that Champ wanted to leave because management was junk. Norv, Marty, and Spurrier were coaches during Champs very brief 5 years......5 years and 3 head coaches, you wonder why he would want to leave?

I agree it was smart to make the trade so that we would get something in return but he wanted to leave because of everything Smoot mentioned, I'd assume he knew better than we since he partnered with Smoot during much of that span. Smoot only left for money, Champ left because he was irritated with the organization through their poor management and team structure.

I also agree that Campbell is no Tom Brady, I'd assume Smooty was shooting for an attention grabber for his speech with that comment.

This was in the Post print edition yesterday:

"I'm gonna teach y'all a Mississippi English Lesson. the word S'mo. S - M - O. That mean, I want some more. You know what I'm saying? We need some more players. We need depth, and we need some starters.

Like, let's not sugarcoat some stuff. Some guys that we THINK are good are not as good as we think they are. And when your starters don't play at a certain level, how can you ask a player who's coming in to play at a certain level? The players that's backing them up are playing to the same level they were."

-Fred Smoot

It's so funny how people continue to bash Campbell. I don't know what games you guys watched, but I always go back to the Skins/Giants game about 5 years ago. We were playing for nothing, and I saw Campbell get hit so hard, it looked like he was dead! A few plays later Campbell comes back in like nothing had ever happened. Now I realize some of this fan base wants a certain kind of QB to lead us, but Campbell has one thing a lot of QBs lack---heart. I will go as far to say he has Favre-like heart. I also find it comical that no one thinks having numerous coaches and NO offensive line played any part in Campbell being unsuccessful in burgundy and gold. I mean it's one thing to have no o-line, but it's something else altogether to have a new offensive coach every season telling you how he wants you to play the game.

Simply put, Campbell was given a raw deal. I'd take him over Grossman, Beck, or any other QB we plan to plug into this system. My honest opinion, we'd be no worse than .500 with Campbell at the helm right now.

Simply put, Campbell was given a raw deal. I'd take him over Grossman, Beck, or any other QB we plan to plug into this system. My honest opinion, we'd be no worse than .500 with Campbell at the helm right now.

Campbell has certainly performed better than Grossman or Beck. However, Campbell was not replaced by Beck or Grossman. He was replaced by Donovan McNabb. A move that was pretty much universally praised by fans and media alike...until it didn't pan out.

Campbell didn't want to be back-up to McNabb, and requested a trade. The team probably would have kept Jason had he agreed to back-up McNabb, which I admit would have been a tough pill to swallow for anyone. I would argue an overwhelming majority of Redskins fans were thrilled to have McNabb over Campbell. Now in hindsight, YES, Jason probably would have been a better bet than Rex or Beck...but le'ts not forget he wasn't run out of town for either of them.

One thing...

Why does everyone forget that Champ Bailey had pretty much said he wasn't going to be coming back and threatened to sit out of training camp if he got franchised tagged. It was actually a supremely smart move by the otherwise completely dimwitted Vinny Cerrato to move Champ and get draft picks and Clinton Portis in return.

Uhhh first of all NEVER use the words "supremely smart" and Vinny Cerrato in the same sentence.

Second, we didn't get draft picks...we TRADED a high draft pick - along with one of the best DBs in the league, for Portis, making it a supremely STUPID trade.

Running backs grow on trees and have short careers - if there's ANY position you don't overpay for in the NFL, it's running backs. Yet we trade a hard to find shutdown DB AND a draft pick for one. Nice.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 09:28 PM ----------

Campbell has certainly performed better than Grossman or Beck. However, Campbell was not replaced by Beck or Grossman. He was replaced by Donovan McNabb. A move that was pretty much universally praised by fans and media alike...

Why do people keep saying this?!?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure this move was about 50/50 with pundits and fans.

Define: "Talking out of both sides of mouth"

yeah, not so much. Saying he didn't think shanny was a good hire is not saying he should be dumped.

I don't think shanny was a good hire, didn't like it when he was brought on, but since he was brought in I do believe he should get a chance to fulfill his contract and prove me wrong.

Campbell has certainly performed better than Grossman or Beck. However, Campbell was not replaced by Beck or Grossman. He was replaced by Donovan McNabb. A move that was pretty much universally praised by fans and media alike...until it didn't pan out.

Campbell didn't want to be back-up to McNabb, and requested a trade. The team probably would have kept Jason had he agreed to back-up McNabb, which I admit would have been a tough pill to swallow for anyone. I would argue an overwhelming majority of Redskins fans were thrilled to have McNabb over Campbell. Now in hindsight, YES, Jason probably would have been a better bet than Rex or Beck...but le'ts not forget he wasn't run out of town for either of them.

No real football fans bought into the McNabb experiment. Jason Campbell was the only QB drafted by the Skins that had a real shot at becoming our future at the position. And instead of protecting the guy with a real o-line, or providing him with some continuity, we blamed our losing on the guy and screwed this team up even worse. I mean ****, we didn't even give the guy any real weapons outside Portis and Cooley, if you even count Moss who has never been viewed as a true #1 WR. I guarantee with Allen as GM, we'd be a lot further along with JC running this team.

Archived