Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about our RE Stephen Bowen from the Miami game

HtownRocks111

Did anyone else notice one of the commentators mention that Bowen has been playing at a pro-bowl level this year? Or did I hear something wrong? Don't get me wrong, he has looked decent at times getting pressure and getting into the backfield, but he hasn't been putting up shockingly high tackle/sack numbers.

Is he playing at a pro-bowl level so far this season? If he has shame on me, but I can't recall him having not one huge game this season.

He's a DE. He's not supposed to a high number of tackles or sacks. But he has been pretty consistently creating pressure, and he's actually commanded double teams. He has had a couple games where he played his butt off; the Cowboys game and the Rams game come to mind. Is he at a Pro Bowl level? No. But I'd say that for my money, he's probably our best defensive linemen right now and deserves some credit for it.

Yeah I am loving our DL.

Especially when Jenkins gets back (If he gets back to the force he appeared to be in preseason)

I am ok with letting Carriker walk, unless he wants to re-sign for a minimal contract.

I would like to see a prototypical NT but not at the expense of drafting OL.

Uh Jenkins, duh! ;)

I haven't seen offenses blowing through Nield so he seems to be a good pickup at least as a rotational NT. If Cofield were moved to DE then the Skins would have a nice rotation of Bowen, Carriker, Jenkins and Cofield. We'd need a starting quality NT though unless Nield can step it up to be a more full time starter. It would be nice to have the flexibility to move Cofield around at either NT or DE. Skins front office did a nice job on the Dline - - now they need to do the same with OL and to improve the LB core.

He's a DE. He's not supposed to a high number of tackles or sacks. But he has been pretty consistently creating pressure, and he's actually commanded double teams. He has had a couple games where he played his butt off; the Cowboys game and the Rams game come to mind. Is he at a Pro Bowl level? No. But I'd say that for my money, he's probably our best defensive linemen right now and deserves some credit for it.

Our DL won't reach it's potential until we have a stud or at least solid NT in the middle.

Yeah I am loving our DL.

Especially when Jenkins gets back (If he gets back to the force he appeared to be in preseason)

I am ok with letting Carriker walk, unless he wants to re-sign for a minimal contract.

I would like to see a prototypical NT but not at the expense of drafting OL.

Really?, I think carriker has 4.5 sacks. I'd keep him for that kind if production at de in a 34 alignment. but that's just me..o and congrats to bowen on the consistent pressure

I haven't seen offenses blowing through Nield so he seems to be a good pickup at least as a rotational NT. If Cofield were moved to DE then the Skins would have a nice rotation of Bowen, Carriker, Jenkins and Cofield. We'd need a starting quality NT though unless Nield can step it up to be a more full time starter. It would be nice to have the flexibility to move Cofield around at either NT or DE. Skins front office did a nice job on the Dline - - now they need to do the same with OL and to improve the LB core.

I loved how you explained it.

We are just going to have to have to give it time to develop.

Did anyone else notice one of the commentators mention that Bowen has been playing at a pro-bowl level this year? Or did I hear something wrong? Don't get me wrong, he has looked decent at times getting pressure and getting into the backfield, but he hasn't been putting up shockingly high tackle/sack numbers.

Is he playing at a pro-bowl level so far this season? If he has shame on me, but I can't recall him having not one huge game this season.

For some perspective, Richard Seymour's best statistical two years in New England were 8 sack, ~55 tackle seasons. Typically, though, his numbers were closer to 4-5 sacks and 35-45 tackles. He was still regarded as the best 3-4 DE in the game with those numbers.

Bowen has 22 tackles and 3.5 sacks through 9 games. That projects to about 39 tackles and 6 sacks for the season. That's pretty damn good but numbers only tell a small part of the story. He's played well (really well in some spots) but it's difficult to truly separate out his individual play from the play of the guys immediately around him. If Cofield, Orakpo, and Fletcher have made mistakes or have underperformed in spots it could very well reflect poorly on Bowen and vice versa. The only way to know who has been doing a great job in the area of the field that Bowen occupies is to know exactly what everyone is supposed to be doing, which is a company secret so to speak.

My quasi-educated opinion is that I don't think he's quite playing at a pro-bowl level because he's not quite the pure disruptive force that some of his peers are. He's still a significant upgrade over Kedric Golston and is not a guy we're going to need to replace any time soon, though.

Bowen has been solid and certainly deserves to be in the rotation again next year. Would be stud to see Bowen/Carriker/Jenkins/Cofield rotating at DE. But like others have already stated, we need a NT to just create havoc. It's sad that Haynesworth turned out to be a scumbag. He would be insane at NT if he wanted it enough. If BB along with playing next to Carter and Wilfork doesn't do it......it will never happen again. The chance of potentially getting a ring, turning your season around, turning your image around, you blew it. Still gets me fired up even though we got a pick from NE.

Archived