Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sobering fact: 2012 will NOT be much better

SkinsHokieFan

Heck you can't even say for sure if we WILL be starting or even drafting a QB in the 1st round.

If we draft one that high, he'll likely play behind someone for at least a little but unless he really shows something in offseason/pre-season. I don't think you're really telling us anything we don't already know...but it won't be near as bad struggling while grooming a young QB who shows obvious NFL talent as it is struggling with a handful of bat poop like we have now. Of course there will be endless ":FIRE SHANNY" threads and "KYLE SUCKS AT CALLING PLAYS" ... those will never end. The fans who are much more football savvy and realistic will be able to see the bigger picture during this process...but there aren't a lot of those around here. I guess that's why you made this thread tho..to pre-warn the silly people.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 01:59 AM ----------

the more I look the more depressed I get

needs for next year

2 cb

1 s

1 lb

2 qbs

3 ol

2 wr

1 rb

I'd add a true NT to that as well.. then Cofield can join a DT rotation IMO.

Gary Green Monk posted this:

"A good QB with a quick release and a good deep ball will do a lot to take pressure off your oline.

John Beck and Grossman are getting pounded because no one respects their deep game and teams are stacking 8 in the box against us. Thats also why we cant run.

You get a mobile QB who can take off if need be and can throw a pretty strike downfield and our Oline would suddenly look much better than it does now."

You know who this sounds like? Jason Campbell. Shanny (and Redskin fans) gave up on him too soon.

needs for next year

2 cb

1 s

1 lb

2 qbs

3 ol

2 wr

1 rb

Wow, that's kind of a stretch. We don't need all of those positions.

We don't need a RB. We have three.

You could make an arguement that we need another receiver, but it isn't an immediate need if Hankerson comes back healthy.

Oline is easy. It's called free agency. Ben Grubbs, Chris Meyer and the health return of Kory and we're set.

Quarterback is obvious. And if we draft one in the first round, no matter what, next year will be better. Simply because we'll get to see him develop and improve.

ILB is still good next year if we resign Fletcher. Then we can draft a replacement to groom in the later rounds.

Safety .... Yea, we need some depth there. But we should wait and see how Gomes pans out.

Corner? Maybe one. But not really.

You missed the most glaring need on the.defense: NOSE TACKLE. We need a giant body in the middle to stuff the run and prevent the QB from stepping up. We get that, and our corners won't have to play off. They won't have to cover a guy for very long.

If 2012 is a solid draft year for QBs then it definitely will be time to pull the trigger regardless of whether there are enough pieces in place on Offense for him to succeed. Get the quality QB when they are available because there may not be there in 2013. I'm assuming the first round pick will be used on the QB.

Skins definitely need to add to the OL talent level. The best OL on the team was Lichtensteiger in terms of consistency and run blocking. Yes, that includes Williams - - he's okay but he's not lived up to his pick position. When a starter gets hurt the Skins need the backups to be no worse than the talent level of the starters at the beginning of the season. I'd like for Jamaal Brown to be the backup T rather than the starter so we don't have to rely upon Locklear. Second Round pick goes for a Tackle if possible. Let the new guy compete with Williams and the loser moves to the RT position. Lichtensteiger may not be fully recovered next year but Skins need another C/G even if he comes back healthy. Third round pick for a C/G.

The problem with my scenario is that Skins don't have any playmakers at skill positions but they aren't likely to find top talent/speed/size at WR in the 4th round. Moss and Gaffney will be dependable veterans next year but the clock is ticking on their careers. I don't expect Hankerson to be fully recovered and in any case next year will be essentially his rookie season. I think Niles Paul may wind up being a complementary receiver at most. Austin and Armstrong are question marks. Is it really a good idea to try to buy someone else's veteran WR? In rounds 4-7 the Skins really need to just get the best players that are available - look to fill out LBs, RBs and possibly more OL. Skins can make do with their existing defense but the offense HAS to improve. Hopefully, Jenkins will recover from his injury which should help defensive production even if no higher level draft picks are devoted to the defense.

Yeah, I would say 2012 will also be a building year and a number of players will be at the end of their careers when 2012 is finished.

Wow, that's kind of a stretch. We don't need all of those positions.

We don't need a RB. We have three.

You could make an arguement that we need another receiver, but it isn't an immediate need if Hankerson comes back healthy.

Oline is easy. It's called free agency. Ben Grubbs, Chris Meyer and the health return of Kory and we're set.

Quarterback is obvious. And if we draft one in the first round, no matter what, next year will be better. Simply because we'll get to see him develop and improve.

ILB is still good next year if we resign Fletcher. Then we can draft a replacement to groom in the later rounds.

Safety .... Yea, we need some depth there. But we should wait and see how Gomes pans out.

Corner? Maybe one. But not really.

You missed the most glaring need on the.defense: NOSE TACKLE. We need a giant body in the middle to stuff the run and prevent the QB from stepping up. We get that, and our corners won't have to play off. They won't have to cover a guy for very long.

I disagree on o-line. We need more... I'm sick of every year having one guy go down and our line going to crap. Plus, Trent is proving so far that he will miss multiple games a year.

WR...Yea, we need 1 or 2. Moss isn't getting younger and Jury is out on Hank right now...we could really use a playmaker here.

Safety? OJ has been pretty average and hurt, Laron is basically a LB and Doughty is Doody.

Corner? You're nuts, we need at LEAST 2. Josh Wilson is either hurt or playing kinda meh, Hall is a loudmouth who can't cover jack.

I do agree with the NT part tho, I even mentioned it above,.

needs for next year

2 cb

1 s

1 lb

2 qbs

3 ol

2 wr

1 rb

Well, if it makes you feel any better I think we really only NEED a qb, Ilb, and 1 o-line (and safety if laron doesn't re-sign). Sure would be nice to have a stud NT and WR though.

Well, if it makes you feel any better I think we really only NEED a qb, Ilb, and 1 o-line (and safety if laron doesn't re-sign). Sure would be nice to have a stud NT and WR though.

We need more than one OL.

Lichtensteiger is injured AND a free agent.

Montgomery is a free agent.

Chris Chester isn't very good.

Jamaal Brown has been decent at best.

And, we have no depth whatsoever.

I'd argue we need five+ Oline in order to compete in the NFC. The starters are just OK and the backups wouldn't start for the terps.

I'd argue we need five+ Oline in order to compete in the NFC. The starters are just OK and the backups wouldn't start for the terps.

I just dont see how any one thought the starters were OK. Before KL got hurt I strongly felt that we needed 3 new starters on the line. The talent just isnt there even when everyone is healthy. We wernt a dominant running team before hand. Rex was still constantly picking himself off the turf.

I just dont see how any one thought the starters were OK. Before KL got hurt I strongly felt that we needed 3 new starters on the line. The talent just isnt there even when everyone is healthy. We wernt a dominant running team before hand. Rex was still constantly picking himself off the turf.

So complete revamp minus Trent Williams? 10 new oline? I don't think I'd argue with you. I did type five+ :ols:

Yep, that's why I said we need 1 o-lineman. I also edited to add depth - outside of QB (and arguably an o-line starter), depth is the biggest key for us.

I didn't factor in our FA linemen, so good point there. Prior to seeing Riley play, I had QB, ILB, and o-line as our big needs, now I think QB and o-line. Really appreciated your three on the o-line. A dominant one would take this team far and I'd argue that our lack of a quality o-line is a huge reason we've seen such mediocrity for so long.

needs for next year

2 cb

1 s

1 lb

2 qbs

3 ol

2 wr

1 rb

I'm going to tell we need alot of what you said we need but we are not that far off. I also would say we can be a Super bowl contender in Mike's 5th year. Let me tell you how.

FA first after this year. Resign Fletcher, Davis, Landry, Carricker, and Lich. Try and sign Colin Finnegan CB and Grubbs RG.

In the draft we finish in the top 5 tradedown to 10-15 range and pickup an extra second and tradedown the second to a lower pick and pickup an extra 3rd.

1st round- Tannehill QB

2nd round- Martin RT and Kawann Short NT

3rd round- Nate Potter T/G and Juron Criner WR

4th round- Audie Cole ILB and Demps RB/WR/KR/PR

5th round- Cam Johnson DE

6th round- Flemming CB and an ILB

7th round- BPA

You sit Tannehill for half the season til the Oline up to speed and he gets the offense. We probably be 8-8 next year. Going in next year draft we'll probably picking in the 15-20 range.

My early favorites next year is Turfant CB, Rhodes CB, or Robert Woods WR but I would like to wait for WR Sammy Watkins out of Clemson in the 2014 draft which would be Shanahan's 4th draft.

So complete revamp minus Trent Williams? 10 new oline? I don't think I'd argue with you. I did type five+ :ols:

No we dont need 10 new oline. The depth is currently there. Chester Monty are good depth. JB wont sign to be a back up plus that would be too much money. Just need top tier talent on the line.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

My early favorites next year is Turfant CB, Rhodes CB, or Robert Woods WR but I would like to wait for WR Sammy Watkins out of Clemson in the 2014 draft which would be Shanahan's 4th draft.

I have a huge man crush on Rhodes and Woods for next year.

No we dont need 10 new oline. The depth is currently there. Chester Monty are good depth. JB wont sign to be a back up plus that would be too much money. Just need top tier talent on the line.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

I have a huge man crush on Rhodes and Woods for next year.

Yeah I like Rhodes I think he should get more up in the WRs face more but he is big and fast. Woods is awesome! But I just can't help to want Sammy. That dude will require two defenders on him at all times. As a freshman he runs routes like a senior. I could wait on him for real.

Archived