Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sobering fact: 2012 will NOT be much better

SkinsHokieFan

Not buying the premise of this thread... At all.

The only thing that would shock me next year is if we were really good... Like 12-4 good and a SB contender. That would certainly be shocking to me.

But as of right now, I could see us being almost anywhere else on the map... Including a surprising 10-6 type team or a dreadful 3-13 again.

One thing in our favor is that we HAVE finally started the process. I believe things look a tad worse than they are now because of the black hole at QB and WR. I think we have some of the harder prices to find already in place (pass rushers, left tackle)...

The huge if of course is what we do in the off season. If we remain super conservative in both FA and the draft, then maybe the process continues slowly and we don't see many more wins in 2012. I might think the same thing if we take a more developmental QB like Tannehill or RG3. I doubt either of those guys will be ready to come in and win games... Flashes hopefully, but probably not wins. I do think that if we drafted RG3 for instance that he'd be in a bit better position that Newton because our defense will be much father along than Caplina's was and he may be asked to do less to win games.

But if we take a more aggressive approach and it works, we could win games next year.

My personal dream scenerio would be to take Blackmon or Jeffrey in the first round and then get Weeden in round two. I love Weeden and believe that his age is actually an advantage. He will be ready to start immediately. If he is good (always an if with any rookie QB) then I could see a 5-6 win improvement next year without question. If he sucks, then yeah, we will probably suck again too.

It will be year three of this regime and year two of a true rebuild and if they get it right and get a bit lucky as well, there is no reason we can't win 9-10 games next year.

The hard part for this organization of course, is the "getting it right" part.

I'm fine with a losing record if we are improving, developing young talent that is going to stay with us, and AVOIDING ****ING SEASON ENDING INJURIES.

Yes!!! I'm still not over losing Jarvis Jenkins for the season. I hope he comes back stronger than ever and is a beast on the D-Line next year. If he plays, like the praise he was getting, then he'll make the Linebackers' job a whole lot easier.

You are just a barrel of laughs today.

But you know what? I can top you.

How's this for a thread idea:

The easy part of the schedule is now over:

We have left:

Cowboys

@Seahawks

Jets

Patriots

Giants

Vikings

Eagles

We will likely be heavy dogs in the next 5 games.

Yea, I have already written off the last 7 games of the season.

In fact, I have multiple sig bets pending on that. We go 3-13, a few posters are going to have "I love Virginia Tech" sigs in January

I think the key is seeing progress each season.

This year is quickly starting to feel like a step backwards after last season. So even if they draft a rookie QB and it takes things a while to gel, as long as they are showing improvement each week and building toward something, I'm fine with it.

Perhaps, but for me i think we're 1 Good QB, WR, and RT away from being competetive. We certainly don't need a lot of pieces.

No way. Dude we have a lot of holes. You are not taking injuries into account. Bust. Anything that can cause a player to miss playing time.

We have NO depth. We have a crap load of holes. We are not three players away from being competitive. More like 20 players. Not 20 starters, 20 players. This team has a long ways to go to be competitive. When I say competitive, I mean someone goes down, we keep going forward. Right now, someone goes down we go down.

I, and a few other intelligent folk, have said for awhile that the earliest we should expect to see solid improvement (and still not deep-playoff-run dramatic) is 2013. While any final verdict is of course going to remain out on Allen/Shanahan's stewardship, this team, excepting miracle acquisitions, would be reasonably expected to take 4-5 years to turn around (and that's barring events of unexpected serious misfortune), regardless of what people think when they wander into most comparisons with other organization's "turnarounds" appearing to happen faster.

The vast majority of people opining on our site (as with any other) usually know precious little about any number of the relevant situations on their team in any really informed detail, or have a truly competent understanding of what topics they opine on (being the typical fan) let alone being "expert" on other teams they don't follow religiously. Of course, ego tells us we are all "experts" enough, and that's usually a major part of why we're "guys on a football message board" to begin with. :D :pfft:

My very bright once NFL-employed SF fan (of 50 years) buddy finds reading here about their "quick turnaround" funny, and even when I point that out to people here, some will "explain" to me how it was just that for SF, like he's the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. :ols:

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

I dont even care about our record i just want us to play better football. All those teams may or may not have better records than us but they all play pretty damn good football. We on the other hand arent even close.

Absolutely (though I do care about our record).

No way. Dude we have a lot of holes. You are not taking injuries into account. Bust. Anything that can cause a player to miss playing time.

We have NO depth. We have a crap load of holes. We are not three players away from being competitive. More like 20 players. Not 20 starters, 20 players. This team has a long ways to go to be competitive. When I say competitive, I mean someone goes down, we keep going forward. Right now, someone goes down we go down.

Pardon me, i was thinking starters. Yes, i do believe we lack depth on the Oline. How ever i don't believe we need 20 new players....Think about it, thats like 40% of the roster!! I don't believe that the changes needed are that drastic. We're just missing pieces at the most critical positions of the team, QB being #1....

If we land a top QB (and since this season is flaming out AND there are 4 solid first round QB's in college that will be there on Draft Day) I don't see many fans complaining if our record is the same next year at this time. This team has been starving for a franchise signal caller and next year will be the year it FINALLY starts to turn around for us.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 09:31 AM ----------

depends on injuries, but you are correct, this team won't be much better in 2012 barring some crazy free agent class of linemen that can come in.

All is good, though. Just bet against the Skins and watch the money stack up.

:D

I've been going against gambling rule #1 in recent weeks (betting against your team) and playing the UNDER on what the Skins pt total will be each game. Sadly (or happily) I've won every time I've gone against them.

We had a good amount of injuries this year and I don't really seem them regressing much. Overall record might suggest they will not be much better but I'll be looking at how they will be playing together, not wins and losses for next year. I will be much more happy with this team going 5-11 or 6-10 with a sense of the team heading in a positive direction. By that alone, 2012 will be MUCH better.

If the Skins can ever find that special QB, we will all realize how a great QB can mask other issues on a team. These great teams all have franchise Qb's which in turn allows those organizations to make mistakes, be patient with players, have a average defense etc..

We as Redskin fans think we need a 53 man roster full of good/solid players. No team has that but they have the QB who can "mask" those injuries that happen or deficiencies at a position.

yup, but losing with a rookie QB is ok and should hopefully be exciting if that QB can play.

losses dont bother me. watching rex grossman and john beck does.

fully agree.

even if we are losing often... if I'm watching the development of a future good team.. then i'm happy.

Watching this currrent trainwreck of a season is just about the most miserable thing ever.

Archived