Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sobering fact: 2012 will NOT be much better

SkinsHokieFan

In the prediction thread prior to the season I predicted the 3-13 season. Really, our play the last 5 games does not surprise me.

What surprised me much more was starting out 3-1 and having the lead in the division.

Actually though, it agnoized me much more because it was very obvious the bottom would drop out on this bunch. The bad mix of injuries and subpar QB play, and here we are.

Here is something fans need to prepare for: 2012 won't be much better

The Redskins will enter the 2012 season starting a first round rookie QB. Unless this kid is Ben Rothlisberger (who started for an excellent Steelers team in 2004) the Redskins are going to find wins tough.

What people seem to forget with the rookie QB class this year is that they are still LOSING, even if some of them look good.

Lets take a look

Newton: 2-7

Locker: Not playing

Gabbert: 3-6

Ponder: 2-7

Dalton: 6-3 (which is an outlier AND the Bengals wins have been against teams averaging 2.5 wins)

There is definitley some excitement with these teams, especially in Carolina and Minnesota, but the wins just aren't there.

The Redskins most likely will be integrating a new QB behind an o-line with 2-3 new starters and at least 1 new WR and 1 new RB. That is quite a bit of change in a scheme which requires some time together to really start clicking.

The defense will be improved again, but will not be the 2000 Ravens or the 2004 Steelers.

So be ready, because this time next year I would expect the Redskins to be 3-6. But at least the 3-6 will feel like its trending UP and building towards something

Just look at the offensive starters and jot down who would be starting for two out of the three other teams in the NFCE (i.e., is at least the second best at his position in the division). Maybe no one. There is a long way to go even with a good draft. Its hard to rebuild if you are building around someone who isn't on your team yet.

I thought Trevor Matich was exaggerating when he first said it would take this team 4 years to be competitive. Turns out he will probably be right.

He was right, if you look at our team we had pieces that had us at decent, but nothing that was going to have us at the elite level. By that I mean we had guys like Orakpo we could build the team around, but not a ton of those pieces to be successful ala Green Bay.

If we are able to bring in some key pieces to the team and build it up the right way then in 2 years this team could be something special, but it'll be another 2 years before I start saying we're a championship contender assuming everything goes right in drafting and FA

A sobering FACT? Unless you're the descendant of the ancient Mayans, I don't think you can say anything that hasn't happened yet is a "Fact."

Is it "likely"? Yeah, definitely. But things can change pretty fast in this league, for better or worse.

In short ... we'll see.

For me, I don't think the 3-1 start was the anomaly everyone is making it out to be. The injuries have absolutely killed this team. Clearly, the team has the depth right now of a kiddie pool, and guys just keep going down.

With some smart decisions and some luck, there's always the chance next season could end up respectable. And "respectable" would be a monumental move up for this franchise.

We'll see.

If we are able to bring in some key pieces to the team and build it up the right way then in 2 years this team could be something special, but it'll be another 2 years before I start saying we're a championship contender assuming everything goes right in drafting and FA

That is if EVERYTHING goes right.

The right QB is picked in this draft and he turns into a player.

The FA's we bring in contribute. The other draft picks play and we find a few late round steals.

Honestly my thinking is this

2012: 6-10

2013: 8-8

2014: 10-6

I thought Trevor Matich was exaggerating when he first said it would take this team 4 years to be competitive. Turns out he will probably be right.

Perhaps, but for me i think we're 1 Good QB, WR, and RT away from being competetive. We certainly don't need a lot of pieces.

In recent years, the Falcons, Ravens, and Rams not only improved with a rookie QB, they more than doubled their wins from the previous year. The Bengals will do that this year. So it can happen either way.

Right now we have the worst QBs in the league. Whatever dude we draft is almost surely going to be a big improvement. I have no doubt we'll be much better next year. Not Super Bowl contenders or anything, but definitely better.

That is if EVERYTHING goes right.

The right QB is picked in this draft and he turns into a player.

The FA's we bring in contribute. The other draft picks play and we find a few late round steals.

Honestly my thinking is this

2012: 6-10

2013: 8-8

2014: 10-6

No I totally agree SHF and you I have discussed this on twitter before about the rebuild. I think we'll see something like you said as well but 2014 might be the year where we all go "this is a team who could be going something special"

No I totally agree SHF and you I have discussed this on twitter before about the rebuild. I think we'll see something like you said as well but 2014 might be the year where we all go "this is a team who could be going something special"

Yea, 2014 is what I am looking at.

Of course, at the end of 2009 I was looking at 2012 :ols:

But I also thought we were going to get Sam Bradford in the 2010 draft. I think we would be much further ahead by virture of having a legit young QB

I'll take another bad season if it looks like we have some direction and promise from a young QB. Right now, we don't have that.

As someone else stated, other teams have found instant success with rookie QBs and I don't think we'll be in as bad shape as the Jaguars this year. I wouldn't expect us to be an immediate playoff team, but our division is not that strong and I can see us being more competitive with a good rookie playmaker at QB.

Yea, 2014 is what I am looking at.

Of course, at the end of 2009 I was looking at 2012 :ols:

But I also thought we were going to get Sam Bradford in the 2010 draft. I think we would be much further ahead by virture of having a legit young QB

Totally agree if we had gotten Bradford everything would have been different IMO. Having say a Luck or RG3 would have this team moving in the right direction, but there still are a lot of pieces that need to be added before we are there yet

I don't know man...I can see this team being simply mediocre next season (8-8, maybe even 9-7). It's so hard to tell...what if the injury bug is avoided next season? What if it hits other teams worse, and we get them at the right time? What if we make some nice pick ups in FA and the draft, and have guys immediately make an impact (i.e. Kerrigan)? So many different scenarios can play out, and I don't know if this team will be any worse (record wise) than they are now. I'm a "glass half full" thinking guy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see this team make some marginal strides next season, then finally "turn the corner" then season after.

I don't think a rookie QB will hurt hurt us too much next year.

If the defense gets better with guys like Kerrigan, Cofield, Bowen, Atogwe, and Wilson having a 2nd year in the scheme, our defense could keep us in alot of games.

The offense will obviously receive a big overhaul. The difference will be can guys like Hankerson and Davis step up next year and help our QB along in the process?

And also, I wouldn't rule us out of the Matt Flynn sweepstakes. He'll be 27 next year, so he's still relatively young.

And also, I wouldn't rule us out of the Matt Flynn sweepstakes. He'll be 27 next year, so he's still relatively young.

I get it, you must like his name!:)

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure Matt Flynn advances the offense much more than our current quarterbacks would. Sure, it would be nice to have a player who has been around competence his entire career, but if I was Flynn I would go full-out Doug Pederson and call it a (easy) career!

Archived