Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: Absolute power corrupts: Holmgren, Shanahan failing to deliver

HogNose

I am not a McNabb fan.... but he was on pace to break the team's single season passing record.... and Anthony Armstrong was the 3rd leading receiver for passes over 20 yards.... and Chris Cooley had 80 catches.... and we did have the 31st ranked defense... and we did lose quite a few games by 6 points or less.....just saying....

We would have never been anything more than mediocre with McNabb. I am willing to take a step back to take a giant leap forward rather than tread the same water we have for the last 20 years.

Shanahan had to have known you can't play My Way or the Highway with an established 12 year veteran shouldn't he have? He had to realize that Kyle should cater the offense to McNabbs strengths right? He had to know it was the first time McNabb was running a new offense in 12 years right? Was there any insight at all for Shanahan to bring in McNabb? On the surface it appears not. It seems more likely another Snyder play toy to me.

Maybe, maybe not. But Minnesota did exactly that, and we saw what happened there.

We would have never been anything more than mediocre with McNabb. I am willing to take a step back to take a giant leap forward rather than tread the same water we have for the last 20 years.

Maybe, maybe not. But Minnesota did exactly that, and we saw what happened there.

The difference between here and Minny is when he came here he thought he was going to be "The Man". He found out that Shanny wanted him to be "His Man". When he went to Minny he knew he was only a place holder when they drafted Ponder. I agree he is a pouty baby with a bad attitude but his incentive was probably pretty low in Minny. He will probably be an analyst next year on ESPN is my guess.

And that is why everyone agrees it was a blunder.

And Grossman would be blunder #2 and Beck would be blunder #3? Is there a Bingo caller who can pick QBs out there somewhere or can Shanahan beg to have Cutler back? Oh that's right, Cutler is a pouty baby with a bad attitude also when he doesn't get his way. :doh:

Franchise QBs are hard to find. Ask Anthony Wright, Tony Banks, Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Brooks Bollinger, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe.

Its way too early to call it on Holmgren or Shanahan. They've both had basically 2 offseasons, one of which the players were locked out for most of it, and the other was their first with the club. You've got to give them at least one more year, and then forget about the first 2 seasons and judge the product they put on the field in year 3. Far more important than wins and losses at this point is the transactions, draft picks, coaching staff, etc.

This is a slightly different subject, but what exactly are Bruce Allen's and Mike Shanahan's responsibilities when it comes to personnel? I've heard several times that Shanahan has the final say, but if that's the case, what does Bruce Allen do?

Cleveland, and Washington, D.C. have both had a consistent culture of losing for the last 10+ years, minus a few desperate/lucky/half assed playoff runs between the two of them. Due to bad drafting, bad free agent signings, bad coaching, and bad gm's, which ultimately created rosters pretty much devoid of talent, it's going to take a hell of a lot longer than 2 seasons to fix both situations, especially if you still have doubts at the QB position.

I haven't followed Cleveland's situation closely, but where Shanahan ****ed up, was trying to constipatedly (made up word) coax a playoff run out of this team in year 1, when he should've just gone ahead and started the rebuilding process as soon as he stepped through the door.

Franchise QBs are hard to find. Ask Anthony Wright, Tony Banks, Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Brooks Bollinger, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe.

Its way too early to call it on Holmgren or Shanahan. They've both had basically 2 offseasons, one of which the players were locked out for most of it, and the other was their first with the club. You've got to give them at least one more year, and then forget about the first 2 seasons and judge the product they put on the field in year 3. Far more important than wins and losses at this point is the transactions, draft picks, coaching staff, etc.

This is a slightly different subject, but what exactly are Bruce Allen's and Mike Shanahan's responsibilities when it comes to personnel? I've heard several times that Shanahan has the final say, but if that's the case, what does Bruce Allen do?

Drew Bledsoe was a franchise QB. He wasn't when he got to Dallas, but he was in NE. Just sayin'

And Grossman would be blunder #2 and Beck would be blunder #3? Is there a Bingo caller who can pick QBs out there somewhere or can Shanahan beg to have Cutler back? Oh that's right, Cutler is a pouty baby with a bad attitude also when he doesn't get his way. :doh:

So who would you have acquired this offseason to be the QB of this team? The FA market for QBs was very weak. Matt Hasselbeck was probably the best out of the group, but he is obviously not a long term solution. We were not in a position to draft either Newton or Locker and the move to pass up Gabbert looks very good right now. All 32 other teams thought Andy Dalton wasn't good enough to be picked in the first round so you can't blame the Redskins for passing him up with their first selection. As for trades, I've heard Matt Flynn's name being tossed around but was has he really done in the league to warrant trading any high picks for?

I'm not a Shanahan apologist in any way, but based on the situation we were placed in, it was the right decision to go with Grossman/Beck and replenish other areas of the team via the draft. Why bring in another QB who may or may not be around in 2012?

So who would you have acquired this offseason to be the QB of this team? The FA market for QBs was very weak. Matt Hasselbeck was probably the best out of the group, but he is obviously not a long term solution. We were not in a position to draft either Newton or Locker and the move to pass up Gabbert looks very good right now. All 32 other teams thought Andy Dalton wasn't good enough to be picked in the first round so you can't blame the Redskins for passing him up with their first selection. As for trades, I've heard Matt Flynn's name being tossed around but was has he really done in the league to warrant trading any high picks for?

I'm not a Shanahan apologist in any way, but based on the situation we were placed in, it was the right decision to go with Grossman/Beck and replenish other areas of the team via the draft. Why bring in another QB who may or may not be around in 2012?

actually, you are a Shanny apologist. You just gave him a pass for passing on Dalton. Shanny is supposed to be a QB guru. You are paying this guy millions of dollars to build your team. If I were a Skins fan, I would be upset that he passed on Dalton. Just because everybody else did is no excuse. Don't you expect more from him?

actually, you are a Shanny apologist. You just gave him a pass for passing on Dalton. Shanny is supposed to be a QB guru. You are paying this guy millions of dollars to build your team. If I were a Skins fan, I would be upset that he passed on Dalton. Just because everybody else did is no excuse. Don't you expect more from him?

And 32 teams passed on Brady. He was pick #199. One Hundred Ninety-Eight times, the NFL passed on him. It's called Hindsight. Easy to say now that Dalton is having a good season. And we don't run the same type of offense as the Ben-Gals.

I can't answer who we should have got. I can see keeping Grossman since he knows the system. But I just refuse to believe there was not a better option than Beck out there.

Archived