Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time to get a new training and medical staff?

Slateman

I think that this would technically would be considered elective. Consider this. You work in an office and you have insurance (hypothetical, I don't know where you work or if you have insurance). But the insurance does not cover something that would make you better at your job. Do you expect your company to pay for it? I don't. If I want it to be more successful, than it is my choice to get the elective procedure or whatever.

I get what you mean. And I'm not opposed to players paying for something like this that would eventually help them on the field. I guess my point is that with the amount of money the organization invests in players and their health to help on-field productivity, you'd think if Carlos' only problem was needing some contacts they'd have jumped at the chance to pay for them.

In the wake of Hankerson being placed on the IR, I am starting to wonder about the Skins medical and training staff.

Phillip Daniels was on WJFK today saying that when he was Redskin, the training facilities were antiquated and outdated. Surprising to me, considering how much money gets poured in to the team.

Chris Cooley continued to have knee issues until, finally, he shut it down after breaking his hand. But I have to wonder, what took so long when he was, obviously, in such pain and injured. Why did it reach the point where people are talking about microfracture surgery.

Malcolm Kelly spent two years basically on IR and still couldn't get healthy.

I think we could also make a case that Laron Landry's lack of decent play is a result of a poorly rehabilitated achilles.

Mike Shannahan is saying he's never seen this before, but the Redskins seem to always have issues with injuries.

So, I'm asking, do the Redskins need to bring in another training/medical staff? Is there a need to upgrade the facilities? Or are all these injuries a result of coincidence and bad luck?

I'm assuming this is the same medical/training staff the skins have had for the last 5 or 6 years, if it infact is, then I've been saying the very same thing for 5 or 6 years now. Its freakish.

In the wake of Hankerson being placed on the IR, I am starting to wonder about the Skins medical and training staff.

Phillip Daniels was on WJFK today saying that when he was Redskin, the training facilities were antiquated and outdated. Surprising to me, considering how much money gets poured in to the team.

Chris Cooley continued to have knee issues until, finally, he shut it down after breaking his hand. But I have to wonder, what took so long when he was, obviously, in such pain and injured. Why did it reach the point where people are talking about microfracture surgery.

I think we could also make a case that Laron Landry's lack of decent play is a result of a poorly rehabilitated achilles.

Mike Shannahan is saying he's never seen this before, but the Redskins seem to always have issues with injuries.

So, I'm asking, do the Redskins need to bring in another training/medical staff? Is there a need to upgrade the facilities? Or are all these injuries a result of coincidence and bad luck?

Not sure how Hank's injury could be blamed on medical/ training staff.

Cooley and Landry were hurt by the lockout. They did not have access to the trainers/ medical staff, and it delayed their recovery. Not sure why a million dollar athlete couldn't get their own rehab during the lockout? Might be a contractual thing.

Kelly was a risky pick from the get go. Other teams knew his knee was shot. Leave it to Vinnie & Danny to take the plunge on him.

I dont blame the medical/ trainers per say. I blame Danny for not giving them the proper resources to do their job. We are finally getting an indoor practice facility. Last year were they not practicing on a basketball court on rain days?

I'm assuming this is the same medical/training staff the skins have had for the last 5 or 6 years, if it infact is, then I've been saying the very same thing for 5 or 6 years now. Its freakish.

You would be assuming wrong. Shanahan replaced the entire training and weight training staff when he came in. Dr. Andrews, who is considered THE BEST orthopedic surgeon for pro athletes has been the team doctor for eons. EVERY star pro athlete goes to Andrews for serious orthopedic issues. As for the remaining medical staff, I don't know if they have changed recently or not. But I highly doubt Snyder is hiring hacks off the street to treat his players. He spares no expense when it comes to providing for the players and coaching staff.

Carlos Rogers is a great example. He has five picks this year. Why? Because someone had the foresight to make him go to an eye doctor. Now he is having a career year with his new contact lenses.

Adam Archuleta's back. No one on the staff noticed that he was having back issues?

Wait is this accurate?!? is Rogers a true major league wild thing scenario?

I've been harping on this for years. It's not only the facilities, it's the Athletic Training staff that needs to be upgraded as well.

It's details like this that creates drag in the same way that not having excellent indoor practice facilities creates drag. Like running a foot race in concrete galoshes.

It's bad luck. We're just like the 2010 Packers.

Well, except for the winning and stuff.

And losing.

Oh, and this thread shows how crazy our fans have gotten. It's a contact sport. Players are going to get hurt every year. The Giants have been just as hurt. It was a short offseason where the players could not get together with the trainers. I said in one of the threads at the beginning of the year when the lockout was over, whoever stays healthiest, will be in the best position to win because of the shortened offseason.

This thread is...well...how do I put it without offending the OP? Not needed?

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

We don't have an indoor practice facility and now I hear that the medical/training staff is substandard? WTF...

Ridiculous rationalizing by irate Redskin fans. They just don't want to believe we don't have the talent yet.

Wait- serious question, 'Los asked to go to the eye doctor but the Redskins wouldn't pay for it? They wouldn't pay $200 bucks for some contacts so the guy could help out more on defense? Why am I just hearing about this? If this is true, this is crazy. It's not like it was a 200K procedure he was asking for. Geesh!

With that said, if he was so damn cheap he wouldn't buy his own $200 contacts to improve the team, I don't want his dumb ass here anyway!

We were the healthiest team in the league for the first month. I actually think we are relatively healthy now. The injuries we have are either fluky or guys who seem to always be injured.

Agree. Injuries aren't why we are losing.

We are losing because the o-line isn't up to par and our QB situation is terrible.

Weird, I just blogged about some stuff recently and mentioned the need for new facilities overall.

Do a google search for One Buccaneers Place, or "Palace" depending on who's talking about it. State of the Art training facility.

reb.jpg

Click on the "Rebrand" picture if you want to see pics from the Bucs facility and are too lazy to google.

Carlos Rogers is a great example. He has five picks this year. Why? Because someone had the foresight to make him go to an eye doctor.

We all said for years that Carlos needs to get his eyes checked. He could of just visited the site and see for himself that we knew it was a vision problem.

But he wouldn't be able to read it anyway so...

In all seriousness what type of physical do the players go through? No Eye exam?

well Rogers wanted the redskins to pay for it and they never said yes

All the more reason to get a new training and medical staff.

All members of the 49ers undergo eye exams each season, and they have a doctor affiliated with the team who performs Lasik eye surgery on players who want it. Otherwise, contact lenses suited for contact sports. No idea how the Redskins missed this, unless Carlos' eyesight just so happened to reach the tipping point this past offseason (not impossible, but a slim chance).

Pay attention to the entire NFL. Everybody has been getting hurt. It's not just the Redskins. I think it looks worse for us because the backups drop off sharply in talent from the starters.

Archived