Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time to get a new training and medical staff?

Slateman

In the wake of Hankerson being placed on the IR, I am starting to wonder about the Skins medical and training staff.

Phillip Daniels was on WJFK today saying that when he was Redskin, the training facilities were antiquated and outdated. Surprising to me, considering how much money gets poured in to the team.

Chris Cooley continued to have knee issues until, finally, he shut it down after breaking his hand. But I have to wonder, what took so long when he was, obviously, in such pain and injured. Why did it reach the point where people are talking about microfracture surgery.

Malcolm Kelly spent two years basically on IR and still couldn't get healthy.

I think we could also make a case that Laron Landry's lack of decent play is a result of a poorly rehabilitated achilles.

Mike Shannahan is saying he's never seen this before, but the Redskins seem to always have issues with injuries.

So, I'm asking, do the Redskins need to bring in another training/medical staff? Is there a need to upgrade the facilities? Or are all these injuries a result of coincidence and bad luck?

It's a good point, I heard the interview too. According to Phil, the Redskins do not have a massage therapist on staff. Therefore, players have to take their own initiative and hire a message therapist on Tuesdays. Some of the young guys ignore regular messages while the vets realize the importance of loosening the muscles.

It's a good point, I heard the interview too. According to Phil, the Redskins do not have a massage therapist on staff. Therefore, players have to take their own initiative and hire a message therapist on Tuesdays. Some of the young guys ignore regular messages while the vets realize the importance of loosening the muscles.

Just goes to show that we have more rebuilding to do than just on the field.

It has to be said that Mike and Bruce have been trying to move Redskins Park to get some much better facilities. Just seems like no other coach ever asked or attempted it before.

Phillip Daniels was on WJFK today saying that when he was Redskin, the training facilities were antiquated and outdated. Surprising to me, considering how much money gets poured in to the team.

?

Yeah but what does this mean? I'm sure their training facilities are 10 times better than any American Family fitness center, Gold gym, etc. I guess I would chalk these injuries up to bad luck and the lockout.

The Giants recently moved into a state of the art training facility and they always have frequent injuries.

Carlos Rogers is a great example. He has five picks this year. Why? Because someone had the foresight to make him go to an eye doctor. Now he is having a career year with his new contact lenses.

Adam Archuleta's back. No one on the staff noticed that he was having back issues?

Carlos Rogers is a great example. He has five picks this year. Why? Because someone had the foresight to make him go to an eye doctor. Now he is having a career year with his new contact lenses.

Adam Archuleta's back. No one on the staff noticed that he was having back issues?

well Rogers wanted the redskins to pay for it and they never said yes

well Rogers wanted the redskins to pay for it and they never said yes

Wait- serious question, 'Los asked to go to the eye doctor but the Redskins wouldn't pay for it? They wouldn't pay $200 bucks for some contacts so the guy could help out more on defense? Why am I just hearing about this? If this is true, this is crazy. It's not like it was a 200K procedure he was asking for. Geesh!

Wait- serious question, 'Los asked to go to the eye doctor but the Redskins wouldn't pay for it? They wouldn't pay $200 bucks for some contacts so the guy could help out more on defense? Why am I just hearing about this? If this is true, this is crazy. It's not like it was a 200K procedure he was asking for. Geesh!

That's bull. Everything I've heard indicates that teammates, coaches and the like kept pushing for 'Los to do it, but 'Los wanted to downplay it and treat it like it wasn't a big deal.

They were paying him millions. Couldn't he afford $200?

The Redskins seem to always have issues with injuries not because they sustain more injuries than most other teams but because they are thinner across the board and more poorly constructed than most other teams. Big difference. Does it affect us more? Absolutely. Do we typically have more injuries than other teams? No, not at all. It goes back to the problem that has been the problem for so long but people have always tried to blame on something else. Talent. We have none.

I miss Bubba Tyer.
I think that the training staff has gone way down hill ever since Bubba Tyer retired.

Tyer retired after the 2008 season and we were having plenty of problems his last few years here, too. Do I need to remind you guys of the recurring injuries to Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Shawn Springs, LaVar Arrington, Marcus Washington, etc. from 2005-2008?

The Redskins seem to always have issues with injuries not because they sustain more injuries than most other teams but because they are thinner across the board and more poorly constructed than most other teams. Big difference. Does it affect us more? Absolutely. Do we typically have more injuries than other teams? No, not at all. It goes back to the problem that has been the problem for so long but people have always tried to blame on something else. Talent. We have none.

Also this.

Well, wasn't he living in JC's basement or something?

But seriously, doesn't the team pay for any medical treatments that are needed to help players improve?

I think that this would technically would be considered elective. Consider this. You work in an office and you have insurance (hypothetical, I don't know where you work or if you have insurance). But the insurance does not cover something that would make you better at your job. Do you expect your company to pay for it? I don't. If I want it to be more successful, than it is my choice to get the elective procedure or whatever.

Archived