Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My video was deleted by the NFL -- was it fair use?

Tsailand

Almost two years ago I put together a short -- 37 seconds -- YouTube. The audio was the well-known "Yakety Sax", often used in comical chase scenes. The video portion was from a NFL game broadcast, downloaded directly from NFL.com. It was, in fact, Zorn's infamous Swinging Gate play. I felt it went well with the music... :silly:

But now the NFL has had it removed from youtube. My question is: isn't such a short clip, combined with the fact that I'm using it for parody, make it fair use? Should I try to make youtube restore it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8 (don't bother clicking, it's been taken down)

Almost two years ago I put together a short -- 37 seconds -- YouTube. The audio was the well-known "Yakety Sax", often used in comical chase scenes. The video portion was from a NFL game broadcast, downloaded directly from NFL.com. It was, in fact, Zorn's infamous Swinging Gate play. I felt it went well with the music... :silly:

But now the NFL has had it removed from youtube. My question is: isn't such a short clip, combined with the fact that I'm using it for parody, make it fair use? Should I try to make youtube restore it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8 (don't bother clicking, it's been taken down)

Are you a glutton for punishment? Why do you want to see that nightmare again?

Is this not it?

I posted mine a day earlier! Also I like my edit better. But yeah, mine was basically the same, just a little shorter and a lot more views.

As to my original question... any lawyers (or even internet lawyers) want to comment on whether my video is allowed under the fair use exception?

I'm not a lawyer, but using something in parody, you still have to use your own original content, I believe. In this video, which I know you didn't make, that ODUskins24 put in the thread is still a violation of copyright laws because they are actually taking content that is owned by the NFL. If they had say, done an artist rendition where they just made a cartoon of it and used the music, that would be a parody because it was their own work.

At least that's how I understand how the parody laws works.

Archived