Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Search Engine Redirect Computer Virus - Help Please

santana_4_prez

I did a search on viruses and couldn't quite find the solution, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Has anybody ever gotten a virus on your computer where you do a search from a search engine site (google, yahoo, bing, etc) and when you click on one of the results it re-directs your page to a bogus site?

I have tried ad-aware and spybot search and destroy and I still can't get rid of the virus. Sometimes I scan my computer, and clean up a few files and then a few hours later the problem comes back. Please help me if you can. Thanks in advance.

Nasty little thing.

My mom's computer always gets that. The only success I've had is the Malwarebytes Trial or Full, will block it every time it tries to redirect you. I usually just reimage her PC(reinstall OS) when it become real annoying. I know on some forums they have some drawn out procedures to get rid of it with ComboFix and other things but I've never had the patience to try it yet. In my experience no virus or malware scanner will detect and delete whatever is causing it.

Go to a forum that specializes in helping you remove viruses like these. I had this and went to dslreports.com security clean up forum. They had it fixed for me within 24 hours. For free.

I would, but I just don't know what sites to trust out there. And on top of all that, I can do any google searches, ya know?

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

Thanks I'll give it a whirl.

Is it always the same bogus site it sends you to?

I downloaded VShare on my wife's laptop (to watch Skins games) and after about 3 weeks, every time we tried to do anything with the web browser it was redirected to the same site. Unfortunately I don't remember the name, but I don't think it really matters that much because it seems that VShare can be a window to allow in all sorts of malware. I had to uninstall VShare and clean the registry to make it stop.

Do you have VShare?

I had the keyboard virus awhile ago and I could not get rid of it on Explorer so I switched to FireFox and google Chrome. Ran Malwarebytes and ms antivirus and it is gone now.

can type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 201745

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

You said it keeps coming back, these two tips may help. Do this, THEN run malwarebytes.

1. Turn off system restore. (right-click My Computer, Properties, System Restore (system protection some windows versions), uncheck it. That keeps windows from putting the virus back on.

2. Download and run ATF cleaner. http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Some say only for XP or 2000, I've never had a problem with any version Windows. Choose to remove all. ATF will get rid of the temp files that may be re-infecting your PC.

3. Update and run Malwarebytes. Try combofix from bleepingcomputer if MB doesn't kill the virus.

Hope that helps.

I had this happen as well. If you use Firefox as your web browser, you can try installing NoScript. I installed it and haven't had any issues with redirects since. Also got rid of all the popunders I was suffering from. I'd imagine there's some equivalent add-ons for other browsers. You should also check your hosts file and make sure the addresses haven't been tampered with.

I had this over the summer.

I could not find ANYTHING that would kill it.

Combofix did not work.

Malwarebytes did not work.

Sophos did not work.

TDSKiller did NOT work.

Wiping the entire drive was my final recourse,, and it worked.

So that is my advice. Don't waste as much time as I did trying things that didn't work.

~Bang

Bang,

I bet you had the dreaded Mozilla XULRunner Add-on as well.

I agree that Combofix, Malwarebytes, etc. did not work... because it's running off a legitimate Firefox Add-on.

I doubt it,, i don't use Firefox.

for some reason it never works. It used to work just great til about a year and a half ago.. then it hangs as soon as I navigate away from the home page. "Looking up..." forever.

I have the same issue with Chrome, and I have no idea why.

IE works fine, and as much as I don't like it, it is the only browser that is usable for me.

~Bang

• 4 months later...
You said it keeps coming back, these two tips may help. Do this, THEN run malwarebytes.

1. Turn off system restore. (right-click My Computer, Properties, System Restore (system protection some windows versions), uncheck it. That keeps windows from putting the virus back on.

2. Download and run ATF cleaner. http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Some say only for XP or 2000, I've never had a problem with any version Windows. Choose to remove all. ATF will get rid of the temp files that may be re-infecting your PC.

3. Update and run Malwarebytes. Try combofix from bleepingcomputer if MB doesn't kill the virus.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I think a lot of people forget to turn off their system restore before scanning.

Archived