Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you vote today, if your locality had an election?

LadySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Just wanted to get a sense of who voted today, and then in a post explain why voting is important to you. I don't know how you voted or for what issue, just whether you voted.

FTR, I did vote today. I feel it's important to vote in every election, if you want your voice heard. I also feel that if one does not vote, then one has no excuse for the government one has, whether local, state or national. It is a privilege to vote and a responsibility of citizenship to exercise this privilege. I find it sad that the electorate in the US is so low when in other countries it is much higher.

Also, I vote in VA. I did not have to show a photo ID as I had my government issued voter card that I received in the mail. I handed over my voter card, the volunteer checked my name, asked my address, she recorded a number next to my name and handed me an eligible voter card to give to the person in charge of either the paper ballot or electronic voting machine. I handed over the card, voted on the electronic voting machine, got my "I Voted" sticker and walked out.

I believe that they only ask for photo ID if one doesn't have their government issued voter card.

Simple system, it works. No need for a photo ID.

edited to add the following:

At 9:39PM when I checked my state senate results, I learned the following statistic:

Precincts Reporting:

20 of 48 (41.66%)

Voter Turnout:

10,833 of 103,119 active voters (10.50%)

10,833 of 112,481 total voters (9.630%)

Less than 11% of the electorate voted. And that's active voters, not even all those who are eligible to vote.

For district delegate, the results:

Precincts Reporting:

3 of 19 (15.78%)

Voter Turnout:

2,396 of 42,335 active voters (5.659%)

2,396 of 46,568 total voters (5.145%)

That is poor, and really disappointing to me.

I would vote more often if I was allowed to go to any polling place, not just the place down the street from my house. The school I teach at was a polling place, but I couldn't vote there- I would have voted if I could have done it there.

I mostly vote in presidential and gubernatorial elections.

Yep, sure did. What always amazes me is that Kentucky is so Red in Federal elections, but Blue in local and state elections. It's pretty funny too, because the Republican candidates tried with every race to make the local election a referendum on the national political scene, over and over they tried to link the Democrats to Obama and Obamacare, and Cap-n-Trade, and in every major race the Republicans lost.

Governor Kentucky results

100% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING

Steve Beshear (D) / Inc. 464,182 56%

David Williams ® 294,009 35%

Gatewood Galbraith (I) 74,856 9%

Secretary of State Kentucky results

Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) 494,214 61%

Bill Johnson ® 321,037 39%

Attorney General Kentucky results

Jack Conway (D) / Inc. 449,599 55%

Todd P'Pool ® 367,623 45%

State Auditor Kentucky results

Adam Edelen (D) 440,307 56%

John Kemper ® 349,324 44%

State Treasurer Kentucky results

Todd Hollenbach (D) 393,348 49%

K.C. Crosbie ® 375,873 47%

Kenneth Moellman (L) 37,252 5%

Ag Commissioner Kentucky results

James Comer ® 519,079 64%

Bob Farmer (D) 294,574 36%

Yes, I voted. Same procedure as what you stated. I had a voter registration card as well, though I have to say, it defeats the purpose of asking me my address when they hand me back the card first, with the address printed on it.

I voted for a mixture of Democrats and Republicans this go-around, I like things balanced out. Looks like everyone I voted for is ahead at this point, though to be fair, I'm not the golden voter, some of them were running unopposed.

Wanted to update electorate results as of 11:39PM:

For state senate in my district:

Precincts Reporting:

15 of 18 (83.33%)

Voter Turnout:

9,953 of 41,666 active voters (23.88%)

9,953 of 46,235 total voters (21.52%)

For House delegate in my district:

Precincts Reporting:

17 of 19 (89.47%)

Voter Turnout:

12,686 of 42,335 active voters (29.96%)

12,686 of 46,568 total voters (27.24%)

Although the numbers were up, it is still a very poor turnout, IMO.

Here's a link for VA election results:

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/election/DATA/2011/EB178FD6-875D-4B0D-A295-900A0482F523/Unofficial/7_s.shtml

For those that were too busy to vote, consider early voting next time -- and especially consider it next year when turnout is at presidential levels so you won't have to wait in line on election day.

Overall, a good night for Democrats, but tainted a little by the possible Republican pick up of the Virginia Senate. Dems appeared to have it wrapped up until a counting error moved the Republican ahead of the Democrat in SD-17 by 86 votes -- out of 48,000 that were cast. Just a crushing way to lose, on a counting error that was discovered after you already figure the Democrat had won. The race will go to recount, but should it hold, that will mean a 20-20 Senate tie, with the Lt. Gov, a Republican, casting the tie breaking vote, giving Republicans de-facto control of the state senate.

If it holds, it will be interesting to see what comes out of the legislature, and if it will be anything like we've seen in other states where Republicans control all branches of Government. And this actually might damage Bob McDonnell's moderate reputation if he's forced to sign really conservative legislation that might hurt him with more moderate voters. So far, the Democratic Senate has blocked any controversial bill from getting to McDonnell's desk.

Took my oldest daughter 12 and we wrote her in for County Board of supervisors.

She's taking her "I voted" sticker to school today and can't wait to tell her friends if she's elected she will close the schools until January

I was clueless on 2/3's of the ballot and thought i was paying attenting...

And again: I showed up: Gave them my name: The 80yr old guy talked to my daughter about the election and put a ruler above my name and address.

And then asked me my name, then he asked my my address and I read them both back to him and he gave me my voteCard and i was marked down as number 145 by the other old guy next to him.

Zero checking of any ID whatsoever.

Virginia appears to have been a rather responsible State(Commonwealth) whether it was Repub/Demo over the last 15years.

A bunch of local judges that I know nothing about? Nah, I left that part blank as I'd rather not vote uninformed on that.

You know, part of my ballot was like that as well, local school board stuff that I know nothing about because there aren't profiles online and they don't mail any attack ads to my house. So I stuck with my usual balance thing...some local thing I had never heard of, it might have been water/sanitation board, had four people running for three spots. Knowing nothing about it, I looked at the names: 1 woman, 1 Hispanic sounding name, 2 names that sounded like older white guys. I voted for the woman, the hispanic, and one old white guy. I figure if I know nothing, I'll at least make sure as many demographics as possible are represented :ols:

I always vote. If I have a conflict that might otherwise prevent voting, I can usually work it out.

It appalls me how many people take their right to vote for granted. It's something that a lot of people fought hard to bring to the "common people" and it's important to exercise it.

Can someone give me a hand getting down? This horse is pretty high. :)

I voted. We only had 3 items on the ballot, mayor, city council for my ward, and whether to authorize sunday sales of beer, wine and liquor (which I'm glad to say passed with ease).

Welcome to the new world, Georgia.

Most of PG is still caught in the 20th century with no beer, wine, or liquor sales :ols: I think part of Balto Co. and Balto CIty doesn't sell it either.

Sent in my vote. Very easy.

On a side note, the city council of a nearby municipality unanimously passed another anti-smokeless tobacco law aimed at protecting youth in their city. This was an ordinace pushed by our tobacco team at our health department and we were all extremely happy after the vote! Little steps that will hopefully lead to a larger movement in Colorado :) I love working at the policy level when given the opportunity!

I will not vote if I:

1) Don't know the candidates/their platforms

or

2) Don't support any of them

Voting for someone just to vote is completely against the system. It doesn't help, it's throwing a random vote at someone. If enough people do that, without knowing the platforms, it CAN help skew an election. I believe its your duty as an American to be responsible while voting. It's certainly not just to cast a ballot just for the heck of it.

I did but was not properly informed going in. I thought I knew the elections that were going on this time and the bonds. But a bunch of them (school board, sheriff etc.) I knew nothing about. Should've grabbed a party flyer or read up on it more before I went. I just had very little time to catch up with my wedding/honeymoon etc.

Archived