Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FFLS - New England Releases Albert Haynesworth (that 5th round we got looks much better now)

HapHaszard

Just curious... How many players have ever left Washington and gone on to have long successful careers? The only names that come to mind is Akers and Brad Johnson... I know Walt Harris had like one good season and I guess Rogers and Carter are playing pretty well right now...

It just kind of seems like once you leave DC, you better start looking for another occupation.

Pierce and Clark just off the top of my head.

Don't put Andre Carter in AH's boat. Carter was a consumate team player. He gave what he could and had several above average seasons for us. A linebacker he was not and long in the tooth, he may be... but Carter is the opposite of Haynesworth.
Carter played well for us on the line. He's just not a linebacker...

It's true that Carter was good in the locker room and he did a ton more for us than AH. Didn't mean to make them the same; however, taking two people from one of the Skins' biggest problems over the years in one season - and then as a Skins fan, watching that team play the Giants... it brought back memories seeing Carter get pushed out of the way by the Giants OL. It's not me making fun of Carter, it's what I saw during the game, and it's something I remember happening as a Skins fan in the past as well. I just thought it was a little ironic that two Redskins DL go to the Patriots, and then in the last 3 minutes the Giants are able to score 2 TDs to win the game; the Pats D couldn't stop them twice in a row. If that's at Carter's expense, so be it. He's a nice guy and a good football player, but on those two drives at least, I was reminded of our inability to win games like that in the clutch.

You're both right though, the move to LB really limited what he could accomplish for us. Also his contract wasn't set up well (which was a big contributing factor to his release as well). Carter will probably have a good game against us in December.

Pierce and Clark just off the top of my head.

I think there are lots of players who came to the Skins at the end of their careers, or towards the end. You've named two of the main ones who we let go of really early in their careers, so they are probably the most glaring mistakes (especially Clark, considering what they did to replace him). Jeremiah Trotter came and left the Skins at some point, I think he did "ok" or average after he left to go back to the Eagles.

Stephen Davis had something left in him after he left.

Also, was Akers ever the Skins' actual kicker? I thought he tried out and then they went with Conway, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Just curious... How many players have ever left Washington and gone on to have long successful careers? The only names that come to mind is Akers and Brad Johnson... I know Walt Harris had like one good season and I guess Rogers and Carter are playing pretty well right now...

It just kind of seems like once you leave DC, you better start looking for another occupation.

akers (countless other kickers)

brad johnson

trent green

antonio pierce

ryan clark

brandon lloyd

champ bailey

desmond howard (super bowl mvp)

stan humphries (started in san diego for 6 years, made the playoffs 4 times)

shawn barber

kenard lang

Also, was Akers ever the Skins' actual kicker? I thought he tried out and then they went with Conway, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Akers kicked in one regular season game for us back in 98 - he attempted two field goals which he missed and made two extra points.

lol so is Shanny still the worst coach in the NFL? Between "disrespecting" the re-benched McNabb and "not working with" the now released Haynesworth, I feel it's safe to say Shanny ain't stupid...
Not counting getting McNabb in the first place under his watch, it's safe to say he can tell a cowfllop when he steps in one.

Haynesworth was one of Vinny and Danny's last hurrahs and another ina long line of disastrous picks. Not sure what influence Snyder had on the McNabb trade but Haynesworth was all Vinny/Danny. At the time, the coaches were begging for offensive linemen after the 2-6 collapse in Zorn's first year. I can't help but wonder how many offensive linemen 40 million guaranteed could have bought. Just more missed opportunities.

It is kind of nice that we got a 5th round pick out of the Patriots though. Even if he rides the bench, whoever he is, he costs less and is less disruptive to the team than AH.

Tampa is desperate since they lost Gerald McCoy. Feignsworth will wear out his welcome soon, but probably not without corrupting a couple Bucs players' souls first.

I can't believe Tampa did this with Gerald McCoy there. Yeah he's injured now but if Haynesworth comes back there next year do you really want to risk McCoy being corrupted by Haynesworth?

I can't believe Tampa did this with Gerald McCoy there. Yeah he's injured now but if Haynesworth comes back there next year do you really want to risk McCoy being corrupted by Haynesworth?

McCoy is on IR, so I'm not sure how much he can interact with the team. He definitely can't practice with them, etc. So I would guess his meetings with Haynesworth will be limited. The other players are more at risk.

McCoy is on IR, so I'm not sure how much he can interact with the team. He definitely can't practice with them, etc. So I would guess his meetings with Haynesworth will be limited. The other players are more at risk.

They can still hang out and discuss dietary/exercise regimen and personal ethics, so Haynesworth will have plenty of opportunity to ruin him.

Archived