Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: An exclusive one-on-one interview with Hall of Famer Chris Hanburger

themurf

6320597295_c19a554f32.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

[Editor's note: Today's guest post is brought to you by Joel Murphy, the man behind the pop-culture site HoboTrashcan who also happens to be my brother. Please show him some love so I might be able to convince him to do this again sometime down the road.]

Whether imagining what it’s like to win an Academy Award or a local bowling tournament, we all dream of glory. And when no one is looking, many of us even spend time in front of a mirror practicing our Hall of Fame induction speech or our acceptance speech after taking home a Grammy.

Well, maybe not everyone.

Take, for example, former Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger, who was finally enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame after 27 years of eligibility.

While a moment like that is something most sport fans can only dream of, it turns out that receiving football’s highest honor was actually a bit of a nuisance for Hanburger.

When I had the chance to chat with the legendary Hanburger before the Washington Redskins hosted the San Francisco 49ers this past Sunday, the nine-time Pro Bowler caught me off guard when I simply asked how it felt after a nearly three-decade wait was over.

“I kind of jokingly told them at the Hall of Fame — ‘Look, why can’t you just mail this thing to me?’”

If it sounds like Hanburger is unappreciative, that’s not the case at all. He was incredibly flattered by the nomination, even if he wasn’t thrilled with the notion of having everyone’s eyes upon him as he accepted the award.

“It’s a tremendous honor, at least for me it was,” Hanburger said. “It’s not anything that I ever expected, so it’s very exciting.”

It’s just that Hanburger isn’t one for pomp and circumstance. While today’s NFL may have plenty of showboating and camera hogging, Hanburger would prefer to avoid the spotlight completely.

The 70-year-old Hanburger is more likely to tell kids to get off his lawn than to hold a T.O.-style press conference on it. The misanthropic former linebacker simply has no desire to be the center of attention.

“I’m not into that,” he said. “I found out that I was elected into the Hall of Fame the night before the Super Bowl, like everybody else did.”

So what went through the mind of the former Redskins great when he discovered that he’d be memorialized in football’s sacred hall? Did he reflect on past accolades – the four first-team All-Pro selections, the six All-NFC awards, the nine Pro Bowl bids?

Or was it specific moments in his historic career that stood out in his mind as he heard the news – the 26-3 trouncing of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1972 NFC Championship game or perhaps that magical feeling of making it to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history later that same year?

Nope. His first thought was what a hassle the whole ordeal was going to be.

“I thought, ‘Oh my god, now I’ve got to pack a bag and go fly to Dallas to be there for the coin toss.’ That kind of thing – that’s not my cup of tea,” Hanburger said.

“I’m pretty much a loner, for the most part,” he confessed. “I don’t like crowds. I don’t go to games or anything.”

Click here for the full article.

Nice piece lil' murf. Normally we just pass on these posts but that was a lot better quality than normal and worth reading for once. :silly:

It was interesting listening to Sonny and Sam talk about Chris pre-game, and saying how quite and humble he is to contrast with the violence he dished out on the field; as it seems you discovered. Sam had a funny story of always going off on the Hang Man, and screaming at him to just hit guys and not horse collar them. Then Huff goes full force into someone, and is lying dazed on the field to see Hanburger stood over him saying "Ya see Sam. THAT'S why I don't do that." :ols:

Oh, as I'm sure your bro has told you, your drunken discussion in Toronto on setting the organization to rights brought around one heck of a debate on here. I for one are totally down with 4 firsts, if that's what it took. So you need to stick around regardless as we might all owe you a beer our two if we do indeed get 'Lucky' come next April. :pfft:

Hail.

It can't be said enough,, congrats to a great Redskin.. a humble guy, and very deserving of this honor.

~Bang

By "this honor," I assume you mean getting interviewed by me for a guest post on Homer McFanboy.

But yes, seriously, he was a fantastic player and he was really fun to talk to on Sunday. I'm glad people are enjoying the piece.

It’s just that Hanburger isn’t one for pomp and circumstance. While today’s NFL may have plenty of showboating and camera hogging, Hanburger would prefer to avoid the spotlight completely.

It's a shame more players today don't have this humble attitude. I wish I had the opportunity to shake Hanburgers hand one day.

It's a shame more players today don't have this humble attitude. I wish I had the opportunity to shake Hanburgers hand one day.

That's why I love the comparison between Chris Hanburger and me-first divas like Terrell Owens. I can't think of any circumstance in the world where this man would ever be willing to do sit-ups in his front yard in front of TV cameras. They come from two completely different worlds.

Archived