Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Park: Quotes - Mike Shanahan

Mark The Homer

One of Shanahans most open interviews he has ever done. It was good to hear "rebuilding" from him. I think it is clearly a lock at this point that a rookie QB will be starting next year. Maybe staying with Beck is just to see if he is a capable backup. I still cant forgive him for the decision to bench Grossman with a winning record. But Grossman wasnt going to win us a Super Bowl anyways.

"Damn it Mike, why won't you just say rebuild! JUST SAY REBUILD!"

*Mike finally admits the team is rebuilding in his own way*

"Okay, but why won't you say it LOUDER!"

This is essentially the argument of everyone who demands Mike say they're rebuilding is trying to make. It's not enough to make tons of moves that look like rebuilding moves. It's not enough to play the young players. It's not enough to finally just say the word and come right out and admit it. The only way certain people will feel "better" is if he not only says it, but says it repeatedly and with gusto and wears a giant banner on his back that says "WE'RE GOING TO BE LOSING FOR A WHILE FOLKS, SUCK IT!".

Just so those same people can turn around and complain that the rebuild isn't going to work.

Mike can't win, which is why I think some of his answers come off so annoyed.

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On if patience is an important message:

“Well, I think what I’m saying is that, in the Philadelphia game in the first 11 plays, you lose your left tackle, your left guard, you lose your tight end and then we make a switch at the quarterback in the fourth quarter. There’s a few moving pieces and then, next week, you lose a guy like [Tim] Hightower and you lose a guy like Santana [Moss] and you’re shuffling guys in and out of there. It just doesn’t go the same way. That’s just the nature of the game and we understand that. But I like the guys that we have in there – there’s some young guys, some with experience. We’re playing extremely hard. We’re making some mistakes, but we’re making those mistakes full speed. I think what we have to do is we have to grow up real quick and they’re getting some good practice time and some good playing time. I believe they have a lot of talent to get to the next level. In order for all of that to work and to score points, you’ve got to all mesh together and right now we’re not doing that.”

Key message in the bolded text - these guys are trying and learning. They may not be winning yet, but they're working hard on it.

What would be the good reason not to admit it?

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 06:44 PM ----------

thats an understatement. Its like you gotta look between the lines to uncover the truth and its still shrouded in mystery.

Exactly. What kills me is how Skins fans are so upset when Shanny doesn't show us every card in his hand, yet the same folks laud Bill Belichick for being so inscrutable. Which is it Skins fans?

There, he said it.

And some of you still won't be happy even though you've DEMANDED he say it just so you would knowwhatsgoing on.

If you don't know what's going on you are in denial or stupid. I'm really sorry, there is just no other way to say it.

C'mon 2cents. :) As long as you've been around you know which one it is 9 times out olf 10. :D

Sorry, I'm still drinking heavily over the post earlier this week where the guy said Shanny had to be fired and at least we were competative with Spurrior and Zorn....

"Damn it Mike, why won't you just say rebuild! JUST SAY REBUILD!"

*Mike finally admits the team is rebuilding in his own way*

"Okay, but why won't you say it LOUDER!"

This is essentially the argument of everyone who demands Mike say they're rebuilding is trying to make. It's not enough to make tons of moves that look like rebuilding moves. It's not enough to play the young players. It's not enough to finally just say the word and come right out and admit it. The only way certain people will feel "better" is if he not only says it, but says it repeatedly and with gusto and wears a giant banner on his back that says "WE'RE GOING TO BE LOSING FOR A WHILE FOLKS, SUCK IT!".

Just so those same people can turn around and complain that the rebuild isn't going to work.

Mike can't win, which is why I think some of his answers come off so annoyed.

You have been on fire lately. I 100% agree.

Leego my ego.

Do you really think Shanny is in this only to feed his ego, or are my sarcasm detectors malfunctioning?

Sarcasm meter my man. ;) I agree with you in full. It's conspiracy theory mode right now cause there's no other controversy to kick up.

Why does anyone even bother asking him questions?

Most coaches with the exception of Rex Ryan use coach speak and semantics. Rex Ryan is really the only HC that seems to speak frankly to the media. It's not really that hard to interpret Shanahan's coachspeak. Of course he isn't going to come out and say "we are rebuilding" even though it was pretty clear from what he said that we are in fact rebuilding. Coaches aren't going to spoon feed you answers and they aren't going to throw any of their players under the bus. Good bosses and leaders handle situations with their employees in private. If a boss expresses his displeasure with an employee in the open for the whole business to see, then chances are that boss is very toxic.

Most coaches with the exception of Rex Ryan use coach speak and semantics. Rex Ryan is really the only HC that seems to speak frankly to the media. It's not really that hard to interpret Shanahan's coachspeak. Of course he isn't going to come out and say "we are rebuilding" even though it was pretty clear from what he said that we are in fact rebuilding. Coaches aren't going to spoon feed you answers and they aren't going to throw any of their players under the bus. Good bosses and leaders handle situations with their employees in private. If a boss expresses his displeasure with an employee in the open for the whole business to see, then chances are that boss is very toxic.

I wasn't referring to the "rebuilding" BS. I could give a rat's ass if he uses that word or not. But I'd like to get the occassional "real" answer about the decisions him and his staff make. For example, two games ago, they are down 3 scores with 8 minutes left. Yet they are still huddling up and showing no sense of urgency. Shanahan was asked about that after the game and he said they were in the 2 minute mode running hurry-up. Well, no they weren't. He just gave another BS answer. I'm sick of that kind of crap. He's never held accountable for anything.

Archived