Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From College Major to Career (Unemployment, Salary Ranges etc)

Prosperity

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term=

I'd kill, or at least embarrass myself to great lengths, for a 35k/ year job right now

I feel like if I just got an entry level job with ANY room to move up I could have just done well within the company by showing off my actual skills (as opposed to resume fluff produced by colleges and grad schools). That's the lesson I learned, and if I ever have kids that's what I will teach them.

My majors...

BIOLOGY

5.6% Unemployment

$35,000 (25th %ile)

$51,000 (Median)

$76,000 (75th)

PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGIOUS STUDIES

7.2%

$30,000

$42,000

$65,000

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/NILF1111/#term=

I'd kill, or at least embarrass myself to great lengths, for a 35k/ year job right now

I feel like if I just got an entry level job with ANY room to move up I could have just done well within the company by showing off my actual skills (as opposed to resume fluff produced by colleges and grad schools). That's the lesson I learned, and if I ever have kids that's what I will teach them.

My majors...

BIOLOGY

5.6% Unemployment

$35,000 (25th %ile)

$51,000 (Median)

$76,000 (75th)

PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGIOUS STUDIES

7.2%

$30,000

$42,000

$65,000

Ill tell my kids to get a govt clearance (tougher in CA though). I would estimate it adds at least 25% to your salary. In fact, most people in their upper 30s who work FOR the govt and have a college degree make 80K +.

Ill tell my kids to get a govt clearance (tougher in CA though). I would estimate it adds at least 25% to your salary. In fact, most people in their upper 30s who work FOR the govt and have a college degree make 80K +.

Yep...the TS clearance I have has served me well. The government is always looking to spend money on contractors/good employees too!

Accounting

5.4% (Unemployment)

41k (25th %)

61k (Median %)

94k (75th %)

Popularity -- 3rd

As evident by the Popularity statistic, I was up against a lot of competition after graduating. I was always told throughout college, "Don't worry, it's a popular field and there will be plenty of openings," but there are several people I went to grad school with that still have been unable to find openings.

Accounting

5.4% (Unemployment)

41k (25th %)

61k (Median %)

94k (75th %)

Popularity -- 3rd

As evident by the Popularity statistic, I was up against a lot of competition after graduating. I was always told throughout college, "Don't worry, it's a popular field and there will be plenty of openings," but there are several people I went to grad school with that still have been unable to find openings.

Surprised to hear that about Accounting, always thought that as one of the boring, but solid majors

The college should be factored into this.

A graduate in English from, say, Dartmouth does not have the same employment prospects as a graduate in English from say, Liberty.

In this economy they'll both end up working at Barnes and Noble

one might work in Boston the other in Leesburg

Nope. I was recently hiring graduates and the Ivy League candidates all had offers faster than we could get them through our interview process.

hire any Dartmouth english majors?

the prestige of the upper echelon schools like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford etc definitely can make up for relevant education, but I didn't think it would extend down to Dartmouth. Meh.

Aren't you in some science/tech field? What are you hiring english majors for?

i have a TS clearance but just changed jobs to an internal accounting position where a clearance isn't needed and my new company can't hold it for me.

it sucks because i could have taken a higher paying job on contract that required a clearance, but wouldn't be doing what i wanted. my new job still pays 10k more than my old job and gives me the experience i want but also the experience required to become a licensed CPA. i figured it was worth sacrificing my clearance for the CPA experience but it sucks I can't have both

Getting in with a good company is still important, perhaps not as important as it was in the 50s but getting the experience counts.

Let's say you got into a big lawfirm as a paralegal. You make some connections with partnership then go back to school for your JD, and bam. Attorney in biglaw much easier than the poor sap that actually went straight to law school.

Let's say you are a receptionist for a hospital. You get first hand experience in the hospital, tailor your studies to the area you want to be in after actual first hand knowledge, make connections, bam. You're a nurse in that field.

To work in marketing and communications roles. You can teach an English major about marketing. But you can't teach a marketing and communications graduate how to write. :)

Just like in sports (you can't teach "tall" or "fast"), you can't teach intelligence. I've been working for 12+ years and I've found that people from the better schools are good hires. Basically, the smarter the person, the less relevant their major becomes. That's not to say that every person from a good school has been smart and, conversely, smart people don't come from normal schools.

I started my second IT project (I was 23) with a guy my age from Harvard. He was managing 3 people within a year despite being a Literature major. Smart is smart.

To work in marketing and communications roles. You can teach an English major about marketing. But you can't teach a marketing and communications graduate how to write. :)

How do you know that?

Not being snarky (at least not intentionally), but what forms the basis for that conclusion?

Probably experience and the fact that one skill is easier to learn quickly than the other. Also, the more intelligent the person, the easier it is for them to learn.

That question doesn't relate to intelligence. As much as it pains me to admit it, people that go to the elite schools are more capable (collectively) than people that go to the less renowned schools. But that's not the issue with respect to majors (communications v. English)

Archived