Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else disappointed in our offseason pickups?

vigilante

Josh Wilson

Barry Cofield

Stephen Bowen

Jabar Gaffney

Chris Chester

Sean Locklear

OJ Atogwe

I think it's fair to say that all the guys on that list are playing at an average level. I liked the Atogwe signing but this guy can never get on the field this season. Whenever he does play, he just doesn't seem to be a big factor. I thought he would bring us his playmaking abilities but I have yet to see that.

Wilson and Bowen, I think those two were extremely overpaid. Cofield was a decent pickup, but we simply don't have the other parts of the defensive line to help him out.

Granted, it's still their first season DC and yes, most of them are still young. However, I expected more production out of all of them.

Wilson should be a team's #3, so I haven't loved what he's done. I've actually liked OJ when he's played. Chester has been adequate and the DL has been an improvement over last year (even if they haven't been as great as they looked in September). Even though I don't like the idea of playing Gaffney anymore and he had a horrible game vs. Carolina, he hasn't been bad at all.

Wilson should be a team's #3, so I haven't loved what he's done. I've actually liked OJ when he's played. Chester has been adequate and the DL has been an improvement over last year (even if they haven't been as great as they looked in September). Even though I don't like the idea of playing Gaffney anymore and he had a horrible game vs. Carolina, he hasn't been bad at all.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. Gaffney is giving us exactly what we expected from him. I think it's clear he's not a gamebreaker though and we have to address the WR position in the offseason.

What irks me the most was Mike Shanahan's refusal to address the offensive line. Okay, we drafted Trent Williams, great. But we also signed an average guard in Chester and attempted to place a bunch of journeymen on the line to protect our quarterback.

I agree, Wilson is the disappointment. Probably could have kept Rogers and gotten better production, but that is water under the bridge at this point.

We still have many holes to fill and many positions to rebuild. We pretty much have to rebuild the roster with the exception of a few players. I say that because some of the players Shanny kept are starting to age and also need to be replaced.

So, looking at the offseason pickups from a prospective of not overpaying for aging players, I think we did ok and only Wilson, IMHO, has underperformed. Only so many quality players available and the FO tried their best to bring in value players.

The draft has become the most important place to find top talent and that elusive QB.

Cofield and Bowen are what we thought they were. They are 4-3 DT and we're trying to plug them in at NT or DE in a 3-4

Wilson started out great but has since regressed. Then again, so has the defense.

Chester and Locklear were our "depth"

Gaffney ... I still don't understand him and the Stallworth signings

OJ Atogwe has been banged up

Well.. Gaffney is giving us exactly what we expected from him. I think it's clear he's not a gamebreaker though and we have to address the WR position in the offseason.

What irks me the most was Mike Shanahan's refusal to address the offensive line. Okay, we drafted Trent Williams, great. But we also signed an average guard in Chester and attempted to place a bunch of journeymen on the line to protect our quarterback.

They drafted Jenkins with the second pick, and probalby thought he was the best player on the board. I was very disappointed that he got hurt. If he had lived up to his potential and excelled this season, that would shown the value of selecting a Dline player over an Oline player with the second pick.

Just have to hope they find some quality line players next draft. I highly doubt they don't know they need better Oline players, and I just hope they find one or two in the 2012 draft.

Bowen? He's got 4 sacks through 8 games, already topping the $100 million dollar mans best SEASON here (aka Butterworth aka Hayensworth).

Cofield? He's a nose tackle with 2 sacks and 5 PD's... I'd say that's above average for a nose tackle through 8 games.

I think Cofield leads the league in tipped passes.

Cofield and Bowen are what we thought they were. They are 4-3 DT and we're trying to plug them in at NT or DE in a 3-4

Wilson started out great but has since regressed. Then again, so has the defense.

Chester and Locklear were our "depth"

Gaffney ... I still don't understand him and the Stallworth signings

OJ Atogwe has been banged up

The Stallworth signing puzzled me. I understand bringing him to get reps until the rookies were ready, but we could have used the roster spot. Gaffney is as expected. A number three veteran possession receiver that can make some plays. The problem is we have no number one or two receiver taking coverage away from him.

The only one that's playing "well" is Otogwe, and he can't stay on the field. Colfield is ok, neither bad nor good, he's just kinda there. And Bowen is invisible. You wouldn't even know he's out there half the time.

Gaffney's ok, too, he's not giving any more or less than he has anywhere else. He's on pace for about 60-65 catches and 800 or so yards. Last year was a career year for him, and he's on pace for around that. In that respect, that was a good signing.

The top three on your list I'm happy can contribute here going forward, and all are a good age. Wilson's been a little disappointing, but he's both proved himself elsewhere in his short career to suggest he'll be fine with better personnel around him. Bowen and Cofield add good depth and experience to a line rotation that may well have younger starters the next few years in Jenkins and Nield to name but two.

Atogwe's on a relatively cheap deal so his experience will suffice another year or so whilst we address other areas.

Chester, Gafney and Locklear will hopefully be long gone by this time next year.

So a mixed bag. The last three I was opposed to at the time of the pick-up's.

Hail.

Archived