Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.C Sports Bog (Dan Steinberg): D Hall on Redskins Offense...

Warpath1041

I have to ask. When the defense gives up points, which is ineveitable in this league, do they just say F it we lost now and stop caring?

I believe so, I mean think about it if your out there fighting to get the ball back and all the offense does is turn right back over numerous times than yes.

"And it’s been even worse recently. The offense has put up 31 points in John Beck’s three starts. That’s the worst three-game stretch for a Redskins offense since a three-game losing streak late in Jim Zorn’s first year, and it’d be worse than that if not for Sunday’s garbage-time touchdown."

This makes me sick to read. **** you John Beck.

That was the second time D. Hall called our show and I have to at least respect that even though he gets alot of grief. He respects our show because we play no favorites and will call anyone to task who is messing up... which MANY were.

Its better than being paid to go on and carry the company line of we can be better and we are trying and will get better.

The speculation as the why Beck is still in there is because perhaps Grossman isn't 100% since the pneumonia.... IDK, all i do know is that we MUST make drastic improvements to this offense during the offseason whether be it via FA and the draft. It must be killing these guys, esp on D, that they virtually have to be perfect to have a remote chance of winning.

I understand the crowd saying we know what we have in Grossman and it's not the long-term answer. Nothing's happening this year so the smart thing to do is to see what Beck can do given a lengthy chance and hopefully he can improve so we know whether or not we can use him as a backup next year/bridge to a guy we draft.

At the same time Beck is no younger than Grossman and is an unknown commodity. Grossman, right now at the same age, is outperforming Beck and regardless of what Beck has to offer, neither are the long-term answer. That seems pretty obvious. Since we know what we have in Grossman, the players support him, and he had a winning record this year, I don't see how he gets pulled. Any argument for Beck to be playing to stay on the team as a backup/bridge next year or whatever can be made for Grossman as well and he is the better quarterback on the team as well as the one the players want out there (both offensive and defensive players). Despite Beck's mobility, Grossman actually proved to be effective against the blitz this year and knows the offense.

Literally, the only positive that comes from Beck playing is our draft position and I think everyone knows that including the players and I'm sure it doesn't sit well with them. I think between Doc Walker and LavarLeap it's pretty obvious how the players feel about Beck. I think Grossman has a lot of character and his confidence/attitude follows that of the rest of the team and they trust him despite his turnovers to put points on the board and be aggressive.

For me, at least I was excited when our offense was the on the field because Grossman consistently made plays down the field and gave receivers the chance to make big plays. Sure he turned the ball over (as has Beck) but he also consistently made big plays in the passing game. If you want evidence of that, simply look at the points per game and Fred Davis' YPC with Grossman vs. Beck. Watching Beck out there is so frustrating because you know none of our receivers are even going to get the opportunity to make plays downfield and that makes us extremely one-dimensional.

Playing John Beck gives them more opportunity to have no Rex/Beck next year.

So essentially, playing Beck is tanking the season.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 09:57 AM ----------

we will not win a game with john beck as starter. hes potentially the worst QB this franchise has ever seen.

I wouldn't go that far. He has no confidence in his arm and is very jittery in the pocket but I've seen worse.

Playing John Beck gives them more opportunity to have no Rex/Beck next year.

So essentially, playing Beck is tanking the season.

seriously, at this point thats what it looks like. rex definitely played better than beck did, dont get me wrong, rex sucked, but beck is much worse.

i think the only logical explanation is they wanna give beck a few more starts to see if he can improve. so far hes gotten worse or stayed just as bad.

hes accounted for 31 points in 12 quarters as a starter.

D-Hall has bigger things to worry about, like actually coering wide receivers.

He's done an good job this year overall, and as of late. I'm sick of this D-Hall getting a bad rep. He is a starting caliber CB, and one of the better ones in this Division.

IN THE MEANTIME, everything he said is accurate, and true. Hell of a job by the defense, and pitiful job by the QB and the coaching staff in preparing and making a choice of allowing a terrible starter start the game.

seriously, at this point thats what it looks like. rex definitely played better than beck did, dont get me wrong, rex sucked, but beck is much worse.

i think the only logical explanation is they wanna give beck a few more starts to see if he can improve. so far hes gotten worse or stayed just as bad.

hes accounted for 31 points in 12 quarters as a starter.

Umm, in addition, there is absolutely no way that Rex will be here next year - Beck will (even if he's not a starter). Rex is gone (and likely out of the NFL) after Week 17, but Beck has been signed for another year. Even if the Redskins draft a top 5 QB, Shanahan probably thinks that if Beck is going to be a viable back up he needs to get in there and get as much playing time this season.

He's done an good job this year overall, and as of late. I'm sick of this D-Hall getting a bad rep. He is a starting caliber CB, and one of the better ones in this Division.

IN THE MEANTIME, everything he said is accurate, and true. Hell of a job by the defense, and pitiful job by the QB and the coaching staff in preparing and making a choice of allowing a terrible starter start the game.

I agree. Hall, in my opinion, has played very well this year. He's not anywhere near an elite cover corner, but he has definitely worked hard to improve in that area because I think his coverage this year has been better. He's only got one interception but continues to look to force fumbles every time he has a chance and that's important as well. His tackling has vastly improved since he's been here.

My point is that Hall has improved in just about every area since coming here and he's an extremely passionate player out there who has matured from his days in Atlanta. I look forward to him remaining here and continuing to improve because he is still a very young corner for as much experience as he has and will be important going forward if we can hopefully find a quarterback.

Umm, in addition, there is absolutely no way that Rex will be here next year - Beck will (even if he's not a starter). Rex is gone (and likely out of the NFL) after Week 17, but Beck has been signed for another year. Even if the Redskins draft a top 5 QB, Shanahan probably thinks that if Beck is going to be a viable back up he needs to get in there and get as much playing time this season.

i think they're both gone, but if anybody, they would keep grossman. he knows the system way better which offers more than beck does.

He gets paid more than a "starting caliber" CB. He talks more trash than a "starting caliber CB".

Think he is at BEST 6th best corner in this division and I take Wilson above him. He is Fred Smoot with a bigger pricetag.

He tackles well. He shouldnt be having to tackle anything. He earns his bad rep around here.

I am willing to bet that they're not keeping Grossman another year.

To me it would be more logical to keep Grossman. He knows the system so he can teach it to a young QB, Beck doesn't seem to. He could step in mid game and give the team an opportunity to win. Beck doesn't seem to do that.

Seems to me, not olnly are the wheels coming off this wagon but the axel is vaporizing. We should all calm down and let this coaching staff do its business. Everyone knew it was a rebuilding year. I've heard others say and say it constantly. Relax.

Archived