Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why Redskins fans should like the Tashard Choice signing

themurf

I don't know why the negative prediction is necessary, you say it as if this Choice move COULD have been some great team changer, but we got the wrong..'okay' RB that are 'so easy to find'? Or what? The whole point of the article is that there's nothing to DIS-like about the move because he was free and has proven he's not terrible.

I also think it's pretty silly how a lot of folks get upset over the roster spot. The VERY LAST spot on the 53 man roster...you know only 45 of them play on Sunday anyway right? And guys come and go, and return to the practice squad all year, they're rarely picked up by other teams.(we did it with Banks). I say this over and over and over, but I'm not down with playing rookies just because they're rookies. There's no big hurry here, no one's going to come snatch up the amazing Royster, and in the meantime, he's continuing to practice and hopefully grow with the team. Being a rookie doesn't give you a pass over Choice. That's just the way it is.

With Hightower gone, going with Royster is something Shanny would do if he had to. He didn't have to, he got Choice basically for free. Laugh all you want, but the team is 3-4, the season is far from over, and Hightower has to be replaced with a guy with experience. WE might be allowed to say: "No, Dirt, trust us, the season is over" but Shanny can't do that, doesn't want to do that, and won't do that. So, as he would say, Choice 'gives us the best chance to win', as opposed to Royster who may just need some more time practicing. It's not crazy for a rookie to go an entire year without a snap.

Roster spots are important at the NFL level. That's why people used to "hide" people on the IR for a year (Realistically, the difference between being good and not good in the NFL is so SMALL that there is almost NOTHING that doesn't matter in the NFL. Does anybody believe that when it comes to the final roster Bill Bellicheck says its just the last spot. It isn't a big deal. Anybody think the Steelers have had that attitude over the last decade or so w/ their last roster spot? (I've gone through this going back to Gibbs II. I'm always shocked when somebody says something like, it isn't important, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.)).

Choice doesn't give you the best chance to win now. He isn't even going to play for a couple of weeks.

And the pick COULD have turned into some great team changer. It isn't very likely, but it is possible. Fred Jackson graduated from college in 2003, but didn't stick to an NFL roster until 2006. Arian Foster was on the Texans practice squad until Nov 17th of his rookie season.

Is there another Fred Jackson/Arian Foster out there? I don't know, but if there is and you found him that would be a team changer.

I'd like to see how Helu handles being a starter and every-down back.

Tashard Choice has averaged 4.5 carries per game, over 3.5 seasons. Helu has averaged 3.7 carries per game this year.

I have a feeling that this move is more about Helu. Tashard Choice is the answer to the question, "If we make Helu the starter, who's going to fill Helu's old role?"

Answer: Tashard Choice.

I'm absolutely be on board with everything you said. Ryan Torain does nothing for me and will likely be injured as soon as his coaching staff gives him more than 5-10 carries in a game. Tim Hightower, who I like a lot, is done for the year. So let's see if Helu can be "the man." And let's give Choice a chance to see action whenever Helu needs a breather.

Apparently Shanahan doesnt need to see any rooks in the lineup to know what they can do.. Even with the season all but lost, he'll play the vets to the end..

If Shanahan had given up at this point, he'd be the wrong man for the job.

I'm absolutely be on board with everything you said. Ryan Torain does nothing for me and will likely be injured as soon as his coaching staff gives him more than 5-10 carries in a game. Tim Hightower, who I like a lot, is done for the year. So let's see if Helu can be "the man." And let's give Choice a chance to see action whenever Helu needs a breather.

I think Torain would be best used as a "closer", a guy used late in the game when you have the lead to move the chains. Beyond that, between his inability to block, weakness as a reciever and he's likely an injury concern, I doubt he has much of a future beyond part time work.

I'm sure Helu will be worked in, but I expect that a guy like Choice is brought in so that he could be eased in. With the OL injuries, having a back you can depend on to pick up blitzes will be important going down the line.

You guys don't know anything. Choice was going to be cut not once, not twice but THREE different occasions during PRESEASON. He has done ZIPPO this year, even when Felix Jones went down he did even less with his chances.

I have been saying it for 2 months now: Helu is as overrated as they get. 100 carries a year if that, never will be an NFL running back, never.

Torain has 9 carries in 6 quarters.

I don't care if you have adrian peterson back there, this team doesn't scare anyone.

Coupled with the fact that the D can't get off the field and allows anyone to score at will, you won't see another running play for 2 more months.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

That's my biggest concern. But as others have said, he's only costing us a roster spot. They need to be trolling the FA wire for linemen who love to fight.

They need to be looking for some Defensive players with some tread on the tire, this is quickly looking like a 3-13 season after starting 3-0.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:32 AM ----------

Just what the Redskins need. Another good young running back. Tashard Choice may not be durable or even able to carry the ball for 25-30 times a game, but in a limited role he can surely contribute to some production in the offense. I like the pick up of Choice for a number of reasons.

another ridiculous comment.

Does anyone else but me know about this guy?

2.7 yards per carry and 28 carries this year and TWO FUMBLES!??!?!?!?

I watched him run into the line like a blind man when he played against the Pats two weeks ago, pathetic.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:39 AM ----------

Choice has 318 yards on 95 carries and 3 fumbles with 2 runs over 20 yards in the last season and a half.

He plays on a team with explosive WRs and a respected QB by the defense and a strong off line.

He will be a big heaping pile of trash in our backfield.

He is already hurt and won't play against the 49ers....good thing, he already faced them earlier this year and had 5 yards on 5 carries.

They need to be looking for some Defensive players with some tread on the tire, this is quickly looking like a 3-13 season after starting 3-0.

O-line, d-line don't care. I'd like to see a guy or guys who refuse to be physically dominated. One of the things I loved about ST is that he punished guys for 60 minutes, regardless of the score. Not that there's anything wrong with LL, but I would have preferred he did everything in his power to put a punishing hit (even if a second late) on Fred Jackson instead of slapping hands with him all game.

1. Choice will no longer be playing in the NFL the next time the Redskins win a playoff game.
Win a playoff game, really? You could say that of any Runningback in the league now. If it took the Redskins 10 more years to win a Playoff game...Adrian Peterson wouldn't probably be in the league anymore either. If you want an actual bet give it a quantifiable timeline, such as 2 years. :doh:

This signing will be forgotten real soon. Choice is not likely to make any significant impact even if he ever gets healthy enough to play. I also think its a bit of a stretch to take stats from a 4 year span, add them all up, and then suggest that the numbers would have made for a great season.

Win a playoff game, really? You could say that of any Runningback in the league now. If it took the Redskins 10 more years to win a Playoff game...Adrian Peterson wouldn't probably be in the league anymore either. If you want an actual bet give it a quantifiable timeline, such as 2 years. :doh:

The key is the combination of 1 and 2, and you left out 2.

This signing will be forgotten real soon. Choice is not likely to make any significant impact even if he ever gets healthy enough to play. I also think its a bit of a stretch to take stats from a 4 year span, add them all up, and then suggest that the numbers would have made for a great season.

It's fair to ask if, because of his history of injuries, Choice could be a feature back and carry the ball that many times, but 250 carries in a single season isn't a stretch. There were 11 running backs who carried the ball 250 times or more in 2010 and 33 backs have done it over the last three seasons.

It's fair to ask if, because of his history of injuries, Choice could be a feature back and carry the ball that many times, but 250 carries in a single season isn't a stretch. There were 11 running backs who carried the ball 250 times or more in 2010 and 33 backs have done it over the last three seasons.

Have any of these 33 sucked as bad as Choice?

You guys don't know anything. Choice was going to be cut not once, not twice but THREE different occasions during PRESEASON. He has done ZIPPO this year, even when Felix Jones went down he did even less with his chances.

I have been saying it for 2 months now: Helu is as overrated as they get. 100 carries a year if that, never will be an NFL running back, never.

Torain has 9 carries in 6 quarters.

I don't care if you have adrian peterson back there, this team doesn't scare anyone.

Coupled with the fact that the D can't get off the field and allows anyone to score at will, you won't see another running play for 2 more months.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:32 AM ----------

another ridiculous comment.

Does anyone else but me know about this guy?

2.7 yards per carry and 28 carries this year and TWO FUMBLES!??!?!?!?

I watched him run into the line like a blind man when he played against the Pats two weeks ago, pathetic.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:39 AM ----------

Choice has 318 yards on 95 carries and 3 fumbles with 2 runs over 20 yards in the last season and a half.

He plays on a team with explosive WRs and a respected QB by the defense and a strong off line.

He will be a big heaping pile of trash in our backfield.

He is already hurt and won't play against the 49ers....good thing, he already faced them earlier this year and had 5 yards on 5 carries.

Choice is injured right now. Injuries are partly to blame for his below 3 yards per carry average. When healthy he's capable of contributing to the offense like I said. Mike Shanahan already said that he's going to give Choice time to heal while he learns the offense. Also, he has a 4.6 career per carry average. Learn to do your homework before you misquote someone.

Choice is injured right now. Injuries are partly to blame for his below 3 yards per carry average. When healthy he's capable of contributing to the offense like I said. Mike Shanahan already said that he's going to give Choice time to heal while he learns the offense. Also, he has a 4.6 career per carry average. Learn to do your homework before you misquote someone.

You are drunk dude, you obviously know nothing about him......I didn't misquote ****, it is what it is. If you want to bring up some carries 3 years ago that's fine.....I said the last year and a half, plain and simple.

He was very healthy against the Pats and he sucked and cost them the game a few weeks back. He was very healthy when he ran the ball 5 times for 5 yards against the 49ers. Guy is complete trash, probably no better than Helu but definitely nothing to get excited about.

You are drunk dude, you obviously know nothing about him......I didn't misquote ****, it is what it is. If you want to bring up some carries 3 years ago that's fine.....I said the last year and a half, plain and simple.

He was very healthy against the Pats and he sucked and cost them the game a few weeks back. He was very healthy when he ran the ball 5 times for 5 yards against the 49ers. Guy is complete trash, probably no better than Helu but definitely nothing to get excited about.

You're judging him on a sample size of 5 carries against the #1 rush defense in the league? That sounds logical. Whether he is better/worse than Helu isn't really important. We need three backs and Choice is not taking Helu's roster spot. Helu has at least two weeks to prove why he deserves playing time before Choice will even be activated. Choice can play the role of third down back, which at this point Helu cannot until he becomes a better blocker. They have different roles on the team and are not mutually exclusive. The real argument would be Choice v. Royster. I assume blocking ability is a major factor there as well.

I don't think anything about Tashard Choice is all that impressive or anything.

I can however fantasize about a world where we sign a released Cowboys running back and he joins our team and magically becomes a 1,000 yard 10+ touchdown rusher for us.

A man can dream can't he?

Sorry, dude....it only works in the opposite way for us.

If Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen didn't think that Choice was worth acquiring, then he would be a free agent still. The guy has been injured the past four games. He was seldom used in Dallas because Jason Garrett knew that his injuries hampered him. Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray are simply better running backs than Choice. But Choice is still better than Royster, has more experience than Helu, and could probably contribute more in the passing game if anything. It's hard to run against the 49ers, and we might find that out tomorrow. Injuries slows a player down. That's the reason why he was ineffective against the Pats. You are being short sighted. You are looking at what Tashard Choice has done lately. I on the other hand am paying attention to what he's done during his four seasons in the NFL. No RB that has a 4.6 yard per rush average is trash.

Archived