Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why Redskins fans should like the Tashard Choice signing

themurf

Murf, not gonna get into a comparison duel with ya on this one; IMO the jury is out until he proves himself one way or another.

BUT, ya gotta admit, in your words "Why should we rush to judgment", does kinda point out the irony in the thread title, being you're making a statement that we should "like" something, which is being judgemental; if it hasn't already confused you yet, gimme a few more minutes and i'll confuse everyone...lol

I think there's a pretty big difference between questioning the coaching staff because they haven't felt compelled to rush a second rookie running back onto the 53-man roster seven games into the season versus looking at statistics compiled over the last four years and deciding that someone is good at their job and might develop into a solid contributor with their new employer. But then again, that's just me.

Well I guess if we keep throwing **** against the wall eventually it has to stick, right?:D

I'm all for bringing in guys if they think it can help the team. All I said is I'm not impressed with what I've seen from Choice thus far. Doesn't mean I'm writing him off already.

That's what we are doing at QB, right? Grossman and Beck? Hoping one of them pans out... but probably neither will...

I'm fairly confident that if Tashard Choice comes to town and simply matches his stats from his time in Dallas -- 250 carries 1,139 yards with eight touchdowns (4.6 yards per carry average) -- fans would be thrilled. Give him the football, see if he can simply remain the same exact running back he's been and, if so, the Redskins will be lucky to have gotten him for nothing.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

Off the top of my head, Cedric Benson, Willis McGahee, Peyton Hillis, LaDainian Tomlinson and Thomas Jones are a few running backs I can think of who did just fine after a change of scenery. Clinton Portis wasn't too bad after leaving Denver either ... but I'm guessing you already knew that.

All I can say is that I disagree. Choice is an okay back. You can get those kinds of guys easily in the NFL.

Benson was cut for personal issues as much as performance issues. If that appeared to be the case with Choice, I'd actually be okay wit it. I don't think McGahee, Jones, Tomlinson, or Portis exceeded expectations after they switched teams.

Hillis is a bit of tweener. You can argue that he didn't get much of an opppurtunity (Hillis had 81 carries over 2 years), but there was enough value there that he was packaged as part of a trade (he wasn't cut).

Droughns though is exactly the type of player that I'm talking about though. Droughns didn't play as a rookie because of an injury and had 30 carries in his 2nd year (and was cut at one point in time). Droughns is a guy that hadn't gotten a chance. That isn't the case with Choice.

For anybody interested (even beyond murf), I'll make a bet:

1. Choice will no longer be playing in the NFL the next time the Redskins win a playoff game.

2. There is a RB out there either that is sitting at home or on a practice squad that will be contributing in some manner (maybe on ST) for a playoff team the next time the Redskins win a playoff game or Shanahan gets fired, which ever comes first.

I'd rather give the roster spot that Choice is taking up the 2nd guy.

I was wondering what happened to Choice. Wasn't seeing him play when Dallas was playing. I've seen him have some pretty good runs with Dallas. He's not spectacular but a good solid back. He's worth giving a try. Royster is on the practice squad and hopefully will eventually get a shot.

Droughns though is exactly the type of player that I'm talking about though. Droughns didn't play as a rookie because of an injury and had 30 carries in his 2nd year (and was cut at one point in time). Droughns is a guy that hadn't gotten a chance. That isn't the case with Choice.

For the past three years, he's only averaged about 5 carries a game. He's only had 20 carries once in his career. I wouldn't say that is much of a chance.

1. Choice will no longer be playing in the NFL the next time the Redskins win a playoff game.

2. There is a RB out there either that is sitting at home or on a practice squad that will be contributing in some manner (maybe on ST) for a playoff team the next time the Redskins win a playoff game or Shanahan gets fired, which ever comes first.

Except Choice is just as likely to be the 2nd guy as any of those other guys.

well, i dont think there is much upside to this roster move, but there is really no downside to the move either. choice will get carries and will provide a useful role on this team, so im fine with the move overall.

there was a time when i thought choice should be starting over jones and barber, but its a little telling that he never got that role. i think he lacks the talent/durability to be a consistent number 1 in the nfl, but that's fine. i see him as another hightower or torain. nothing spectacular, just solid production.

For the past three years, he's only averaged about 5 carries a game. He's only had 20 carries once in his career. I wouldn't say that is much of a chance.

Except Choice is just as likely to be the 2nd guy as any of those other guys.

1. If you can't see there is a significant difference between a guy like Droughns and Choice, then I don't know what to tell you.

2. No! Right off the bat Choice's age and experience (w/ respect to his potential vet min salary) are working against him.

2. The cowboys never gave choice the shot he deserved and he may come back to bite them

This is what I've heard almost unanimously from the Cowboys fans I know. They're convinced if he gets healthy and the Redskins remember to run the ball, he'll be good to go.

1. If you can't see there is a significant difference between a guy like Droughns and Choice, then I don't know what to tell you.

2. No! Right off the bat Choice's age and experience (w/ respect to his potential vet min salary) are working against him.

While Choice has more experience, I would say that they are probably equal as far as getting chances to prove themselves. I wouldn't call a guy who has only started 4 games in his career as someone who has gotten lots of opportunity.

As for the second, what does that matter? He's in the last year of his rookie contract. If he proves he's worth the money, he'll get paid. If he's not, then no skin off of our back.

This is what I've heard almost unanimously from the Cowboys fans I know. They're convinced if he gets healthy and the Redskins remember to run the ball, he'll be good to go.

I couldn't understand why he wasn't starting ahead of Barber and Jones after the year he put up in, what was it 08?

Jones couldn't wait to get him out the door though. I don't like that.

I couldn't understand why he wasn't starting ahead of Barber and Jones after the year he put up in, what was it 08?

Jones couldn't wait to get him out the door though. I don't like that.

Jones also thinks Romo sits to pee is taking them to the Super Bowl.....

While Choice has more experience, I would say that they are probably equal as far as getting chances to prove themselves. I wouldn't call a guy who has only started 4 games in his career as someone who has gotten lots of opportunity.

As for the second, what does that matter? He's in the last year of his rookie contract. If he proves he's worth the money, he'll get paid. If he's not, then no skin off of our back.

Like I said, then I don't know what to tell you.

It matters because of the roster spot. If he's gone at the end of the year, then you've wasted a roster spot on somebody that could be here next year.

Jones also thinks Romo sits to pee is taking them to the Super Bowl.....

No he doesn't. Some in the know feel Romo sits to pee is out this year (and Romo sits to pee may actually have asked to be traded, Seattle is rumored). Jones has already told Garrett to keep it out of his hands and run more in the 4th. Why do you think they lost to the Pats?

No he doesn't. Some in the know feel Romo sits to pee is out this year (and Romo sits to pee may actually have asked to be traded, Seattle is rumored). Jones has already told Garrett to keep it out of his hands and run more in the 4th. Why do you think they lost to the Pats?

i pray every night that jerruh keeps Romo sits to pee and felix around for as long as possible. always good enough to be competitive every other year, never good enough to win it all.

I have always worried that the Cowboys would work out they could be a phenominal running team and Romo sits to pee should be never in a position where he has to carry the team for you . He can do it but he has that rock headed Brett Farve mentality that looses a lot more than it wins .

Choice, to me when they had Barber and Jones there, looked very good . Three backs who could come in and take over a game . But then they never capitalized on that . If Royster is still a liability blocking game why throw him to the wolves . Mike Shanahan backs have always been good fearless blockers choice gas that in his tool box ... also he has a great love for the game and one thing you have to say about the team Shanahan and Allen are putting together is they all seem to be that blue collar hard working type ...

His first 2 seasons he averaged over 5ypc but was rarely used. I do remember picking him up for a week or 2 in 2009 and he got me some points but he only had 2-3 games in Dallas that he got over 15 carries from what I remember. They kept going back to Barber and Jones with Choice usually getting 3-4 carries a game.

He could be good if they give him a chance but our running game seems to be like Dallas and we never stick with 1 guy for long.

I don't know why the negative prediction is necessary, you say it as if this Choice move COULD have been some great team changer, but we got the wrong..'okay' RB that are 'so easy to find'? Or what? The whole point of the article is that there's nothing to DIS-like about the move because he was free and has proven he's not terrible.

I also think it's pretty silly how a lot of folks get upset over the roster spot. The VERY LAST spot on the 53 man roster...you know only 45 of them play on Sunday anyway right? And guys come and go, and return to the practice squad all year, they're rarely picked up by other teams.(we did it with Banks). I say this over and over and over, but I'm not down with playing rookies just because they're rookies. There's no big hurry here, no one's going to come snatch up the amazing Royster, and in the meantime, he's continuing to practice and hopefully grow with the team. Being a rookie doesn't give you a pass over Choice. That's just the way it is.

With Hightower gone, going with Royster is something Shanny would do if he had to. He didn't have to, he got Choice basically for free. Laugh all you want, but the team is 3-4, the season is far from over, and Hightower has to be replaced with a guy with experience. WE might be allowed to say: "No, Dirt, trust us, the season is over" but Shanny can't do that, doesn't want to do that, and won't do that. So, as he would say, Choice 'gives us the best chance to win', as opposed to Royster who may just need some more time practicing. It's not crazy for a rookie to go an entire year without a snap.

Except that Shanahan does know where Royster is in his development. Unlike us, Shanahan doesn't need to see Royster in a game to know what he can do right now.

Apparently Shanahan doesnt need to see any rooks in the lineup to know what they can do.. Even with the season all but lost, he'll play the vets to the end..

Apparently Shanahan doesnt need to see any rooks in the lineup to know what they can do.. Even with the season all but lost, he'll play the vets to the end..

The team is 3-4. No NFL coach in history would call the season lost at this point and just say **** it, let's play all rookies. That's a good way to SURELY lose the rest of your games, and look like a clueless coach.

Shanny's in control. He replaced Hightower with a guy...sort of like Hightower. For free. On the last year of his contract. They will owe him NOTHING if he doesn't work out. This is at the expense of Royster, who has been on the practice squad for a reason, and another person's injury doesn't happen to be his lucky charm in this case.

Unless you are a big big fan of Royster, there's absolutely nothing to dislike about the move. I just think using the 'very last roster spot' argument is a cop-out. It's not a big deal...

I'd like to see how Helu handles being a starter and every-down back.

Tashard Choice has averaged 4.5 carries per game, over 3.5 seasons. Helu has averaged 3.7 carries per game this year.

I have a feeling that this move is more about Helu. Tashard Choice is the answer to the question, "If we make Helu the starter, who's going to fill Helu's old role?"

Answer: Tashard Choice.

Archived