Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012- should be another long year right?

Rdskns2000

Assuming our rookie QB isnt a total bust, we will at least have the entertainment of watching him develop. And frankly there might be 5 QBs in the draft that will be instantly better than Bex. I think whether or not we have a #1 WR next year will be the biggest factor in how good we are. Obviously this is waaaaaay too early to talk next year but I'd say if we draft a competent QB who is good enough to start right away and have somebody besides Moss and Davis who can receive worth a damn, it seems realistic to expect 8-8. However if our rookie QB struggles greatly (quite possible) and we don't upgrade our WRs, its going to be just as bad as now.

The Falcons didn't seem to have any issues with Ryan.

The idea that rookie QB = awful record isn't necessarily true anymore. Even if it is, I'd rather our team look like Carolina and be in every game and make big plays than look like what our team looks like right now.

The Falcons had been building their team for years to support Mike Vick then he gets a slap on the wrist for running and organising an illegal betting ring with some animal neglect and abuse thrown in (man the things you can get arrested for) dont for a second think we are like the Falcons were prior to Ryan stepping on the field - Ryan by the way is nothing without his running game . ( could be said for a lot of QBs but I expect more from these mythical franchise QBs .)

Quick turn around franchises under new HC/ GM's/ QB's etc are the exception rather than the rule; and often struggling to sustain that initial momentum if they lacked talent to start with. And boy did we lack talent. I don't think a lot of people appreciate, or are willing to accept, just how bad and how low we'd fallen when Allen and Shanahan took on this **** storm of an organisation. They've turned a heck of a lot around. But there's still a heck of a lot of work to do.

I'd be looking at 5-8 wins in 2012, with the roster beginning to really set it's self down going forward with more good quality youth being added. Then in year 4, taking that onto looking at a winning season with post-season aspirations. And by year 5, having everything in place and growing up through the experience together to be in a real position to challenge for honours again.

All in stages.

Hail.

The same thing with the Bengals......Andy Dalton and the Bengals are running along better than ever at 5-2.

Both of those organizations had a pretty stable foundation already in place and our rookie is likely going to have a more difficult transisition. That aside, it's something that has to be done. I personally like Maurice Hurt and Willie Smith. I hope they become part of the OL because I personally think they're solid prospects. Although I did not like some of the selections, our 2011 draft should give us all some hope IMO that someone there knows what they're doing with regard to team building - QB is another story, but we'll see.

Both of those organizations had a pretty stable foundation already in place and our rookie is likely going to have a more difficult transisition. That aside, it's something that has to be done. I personally like Maurice Hurt and Willie Smith. I hope they become part of the OL because I personally think they're solid prospects. Although I did not like some of the selections, our 2011 draft should give us all some hope IMO that someone there knows what they're doing with regard to team building - QB is another story, but we'll see.

I'd have the pair starting now Chump man.

Both looked promising pre-season, all be it against scrubs in the main; but if neither is better than Brown, Locklear and the pitiful Cook; then they need to think about a new career. Get Hurt in there, Monty back to center, and look at giving Smith a good luck opposite Trent at tackle to see just what we have in them going forward.

Hail.

*Edit* Luck? Hangs head ..... 'look' ..... I need my morning cofee,

I'd have the pair starting now Chump man.

Both looked promising pre-season, all be it against scrubs in the main; but if neither is better than Brown, Locklear and the pitiful Cook; then they need to think about a new career. Get Hurt in there, Monty back to center, and look at giving Smith a good luck opposite Trent at tackle to see just what we have in them going forward.

Hail.

Harris to me looks like a stud OT in the making - someone capable of playing either side equally well. I'm that sure about Hurt, but I would like to see him inserted at LG and move Monty back to C, which is likely the only position he plays well.

I hope they do re-shuffle the line my friend and sooner than later...

The Falcons didn't seem to have any issues with Ryan.

The idea that rookie QB = awful record isn't necessarily true anymore.

This x2. Why do people still cling to that perception? Sure, some young QBs still struggle, but it's equally likely that if they have talent, they can do well their rookie years. We're certainly seeing enough rookies have success right away these days.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 08:25 AM ----------

Quick turn around franchises under new HC/ GM's/ QB's etc are the exception rather than the rule; and often struggling to sustain that initial momentum if they lacked talent to start with. And boy did we lack talent. I don't think a lot of people appreciate, or are willing to accept, just how bad and how low we'd fallen when Allen and Shanahan took on this **** storm of an organisation. They've turned a heck of a lot around. But there's still a heck of a lot of work to do.

I'd be looking at 5-8 wins in 2012, with the roster beginning to really set it's self down going forward with more good quality youth being added. Then in year 4, taking that onto looking at a winning season with post-season aspirations. And by year 5, having everything in place and growing up through the experience together to be in a real position to challenge for honours again.

All in stages.

Hail.

If Shanahan can't do better than "5-8 wins" after 3 years, and can't make the playoffs after 4 years, he needs to go. Some people like to pretend this team has been epically bad for a decade, but it hasn't - what it's been is epically mediocre. This team has never been bad enough to threaten to go 0-16, because it's always had talent, and when its been motivated, it has challenged and even beaten Super Bowl teams, but it's never been consistent. Even during the worst of the Spurrier and Zorn years, this team was good for 4-5 wins, at least, so let's not pretend this team was as bad as Miami now or Detroit a few years back. You're giving Shanahan far too much leeway.

In theory, a non-bust of a quarterback and at least two more bona fide starting linemen acquired through whatever means necessary (picks from rounds 2 & 3, development of current new blood, or if necessary quality free agents as opposed to scrubs) alone should improve the offense. Yes, there are going to be growing pains, but even if the team's record doesn't reflect the direction they're going it by the end of the season, I'd sure like to hope the offensive play would.

All being well, 2013 could be when it all finally starts to happen, as many have been saying all along.

If Shanahan can't do better than "5-8 wins" after 3 years, and can't make the playoffs after 4 years, he needs to go. Some people like to pretend this team has been epically bad for a decade, but it hasn't - what it's been is epically mediocre. This team has never been bad enough to threaten to go 0-16, because it's always had talent, and when its been motivated, it has challenged and even beaten Super Bowl teams, but it's never been consistent. Even during the worst of the Spurrier and Zorn years, this team was good for 4-5 wins, at least, so let's not pretend this team was as bad as Miami now or Detroit a few years back. You're giving Shanahan far too much leeway.

Go take a look at the roster he inherited. I make it a whopping THREE quality young players (Davis, Landry, although that's getting harder to justify; and Orakpo) you'd want to build around. THREE players out of 53. You could maybe include Montgomery at 26 for depth, and Gano as he's now slowly looking like a competent pro kicker. Throw in Alexander, Armstrong (in age, not experience), Cooley, Fletcher, Hall and Moss as the only vets. you'd ideally want to keep to help in the rebuild. The roster they inherited was pitifully under-talented and ageing.

We may not of been 0-16 '08 Lions bad, but we've been as bad as any franchise in this league over the past two decades since the last Lombardi in '91. The Browns, Lions, Raiders you name it, we've been the equal of anything, and worse than some real bad franchises over the duration. Call that bad, mediocre, call it what you will. But there's no denying this franchise was just about as consistently low and poorly run from the top on down as anything in the league; with a roster full of broken down, has been and in some case never was vets as poor as any roster out there.

I can see the argument for saying Shanahan would have to go if things are as bad in year 4 with still no playoff place. I wouldn't argue his cause if that were the case at that time. But I can't agree that he didn't walk into a horrid situation with just arguably the biggest job in pro-football ahead of him to turn around.

Hail.

Depends what your definition of "long year" really is. I have no problem with another subpar record next year if we have a rookie QB at the helm. However, there better be some progress that is noticeable. I want to see a team whose play on the field looks better each game regardless of the final score. If we, as fans, see that, then there is no reason to go after Shanny's head. If the team looks like it is just limbering through another season with no "positive" direction, then heads need to roll. Wether than be Shanny's, his son's, Hasslet's, or Allen's. If this franchise doesn't show growth on the field in season 3 under a new regime then something isn't working properly. I can't stand the amount of turnover this team has seen over recent years regarding players, and especially coaches, but a coach and FO can say they are moving in the right direction but if the product on the field does not reflect that then it just isn't so.

I'll echo what others have said...I won't care. Believe it or not, our young teams in 1994 and 1995 were fun for me to watch. I was concerned about Shuler, but I wasn't expecting success and was excited that the entire team seemed young and hungry. If we have anything resembling that feeling plus a competent young QB, I'll be happy even with double-digit losses.

We may not of been 0-16 '08 Lions bad, but we've been as bad as any franchise in this league over the past two decades since the last Lombardi in '91.

Again, the ineptitude and mismangement here have been bad, but so was Matt Millen's disasterous run in Detroit. Jim Schwartz came to a Lions team at rock bottom (0-16) and added two wins right away in '09 (just like Shanny last year), 4 more wins last year, and is 6-2 and in the playoff hunt by his third year. The NFL is built for parity - if a coach is still under .500 by year 3, he may not have what it takes. Certainly if Shanny can only manage 5 (the low number in your range) wins by next year, I'd like to see him go (unless the injuries are ridiculous or some other unusual situation).

Not necessarily. Look, its been a long last three weeks, but threads like this were not popping-up at 3-1. Point being, things can flip in a heart beat. I still think we go 7-9 or 8-8 this year and that we will look better in December as some guys figure it out. Predicting next year while coming off possibly the worst showing of football -- or at least the least effort on a football field -- I have ever seen is sort of like predicting the day after being woken-up by a new born at 3:00 a.m.... both are really bad ideas.

Defensively this team is close. Add Jenkins back into the mix next year and one more DB and I think it is a top 10 defense each week. Offensively it looks awful right now, but one or two more pieces on this line would make a big difference and of course the QB play can make a world of difference. While the Falcons comparison may be a bad one, the Bengals were supposed to be putrid this season and they are 5-2. Dalton and Green are the only new pieces. If the Skins add Luck, Barkely, Jones or Griffin and make them the day one starter and then add Bowe during FA EVERYONE on that side of the ball is better. Davis, Moss and the rest of those who catch the ball look better, the RBs look better, etc.

This team is closer. The last two weeks have been awful, but things can still turn around. Honestly, this division is the hardest to figure out right now. The Giants are sitting pretty at 5-2 but they have lost to Seattle at home, should have lost to Miami last week and have the toughest schedule left. The Eagles are starting to look like they are going to go on one of their runs, but they could also lose Vick or McCoy next game and be done. The Skins look like they are going to lose out, but if the Niners sleep early on Sunday the Skins might actually be able to play a game where they aren't chasing two scores. Then, they could win against the Fins and be 5-4. WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE REST OF THIS SEASON HOLDS, LET ALONE NEXT YEAR.

Archived