Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We should go after Matt Forte in 2012!

Tarantula

I think we all know Hightower is gone next season, not to mention he's never been viewed as a starting RB. Ryan Torain is simply not a workhorse type back, in the sense that he's injury prone and will never last a full season. And while we like (so far) what we see out of Helu, our rookie QB in the 2012 season must have a reliable RB to take some of the pressure off of him.

I loved the way Portis played the game, but not since Stephen Davis have our Skins had a true grind-it-out sorta RB, Forte is that guy! Now I realize the Bears could franchise him, but judging by recent reports, Forte seems really unhappy with being there altogether. He even believes the Bears are purposefully running him into the ground.

Forte has been the toughest, most durable RB in the past 4 years, and that's precisely what our franchise has lacked in the Danny era. If we're gonna go all in on a rookie QB, we at the very least owe him a reliable RB to shoulder some of the load as he grows.

Just to not deal with another Johnson-like headache, maybe they'd accept Helu + picks for Forte. I really think this guy turns our franchise around. I mean think about it, ever since we let go of Davis we haven't had a RB that can carry this team. And if you look at all the young/rookie starting QBs in the league, they all have top notch RBs to shoulder the load. Ryan has Turner, Flacco has Rice, Ponder has Peterson, Dalton has Benson, Cam has Williams & Stewart, Sanchez has Greene, Bradford has Jackson, and so on and so on. Beck/Grossman are not young or QBs that can be viewed as our future leaders, but if we draft Jones, Griffin III, Tannehill, or suck for Luck, we need a true RB like Forte to help him along.

Portis carried this team on his back for quite a while. He ran his ass off when we had zero passing game, and kept us in many games.

I respect everything Portis did while he was with the Skins, but the guy was never truly a team-first kinda guy. Forte is the kinda RB that can lead a team with a rookie QB. And ftr, we only struggled in the passing game because Snyder/Vinny didn't think signing OL was sexy enough. There isn't a young QB in the league that doesn't have a top RB alongside him, and as far as I can tell now, Hightower, Torain, nor Helu are franchise backs.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 02:44 AM ----------

Meh....He will cost too much and I dont think the Redskins really need a running back.

QB is the absolute number 1 concern for the Redskins (as it has been for 20 years).

Until they get a QB....its just spinning the wheels.

You are 100% correct, drafting a QB OR trading for someone like Matt Flynn should be our #1 goal. I just think we also need to address our backfield. I like what I see so far in Helu, but Shanny has never been the kinda coach to sit back and let a RB grow, he's all about the hot hand.

I respect everything Portis did while he was with the Skins, but the guy was never truly a team-first kinda guy. Forte is the kinda RB that can lead a team with a rookie QB. And ftr, we only struggled in the passing game because Snyder/Vinny didn't think signing OL was sexy enough. There isn't a young QB in the league that doesn't have a top RB alongside him, and as far as I can tell now, Hightower, Torain, nor Helu are franchise backs.

I dont disagree with you on the quality of the backs we currently have. I do accept Shanahan for what he is though. He is the guy that will switch in RBs at his whim. I am fine with that actually. Forte is awesome and the cornerstone of that team, but as long as Shanny is here its a pure waste.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 02:44 AM ----------

You are 100% correct, drafting a QB OR trading for someone like Matt Flynn should be our #1 goal. I just think we also need to address our backfield. I like what I see so far in Helu, but Shanny has never been the kinda coach to sit back and let a RB grow, he's all about the hot hand.

I tend to shy away from picking up big name RBs in FA that will need a big contract. Running backs get wore out by the time they are 29, Clinton Portis was an all pro one year, and couldn't find a team the next year at age 29. I would rather draft our own Forte than pick up someone who will underperform and grow old while eating up contract money, because that's exactly what will happen, we've seen this story a million times before. I don't want to be "that guy" who yells DRAFT O LINE but for a good RB to be good, or get their strengths magnified, they need a good line in front of them or else they won't see anything but 3 ypc like Hightower and Torain have been experiencing recently. If we were going to throw money at a offensive weapon in 2012 it would be Dwayne Bowe or even Vincent Jackson.

Home grown. Give Helu and Royster a chance. Going after Forte is going back to Snyder/Cerrato. Grabbing others superstars and playing fantasy football should be out of our system. The problem is not the running back. It's the line. We actually have pretty good talent at back. We have no push. Even when totally healthy we have a below average line. You take a below average line and remove 40% and replace it with backups it is going to be even worse.

I think your heart is in the right place because Forte is good and would absolutely add talent to the offense. However, he would cost us too much and would be counterproductive to what we're trying to do. Which is building through the draft and making low-key FA pick ups that fit our scheme.

Just to not deal with another Johnson-like headache, maybe they'd accept Helu + picks for Forte. I really think this guy turns our franchise around. I mean think about it, ever since we let go of Davis we haven't had a RB that can carry this team. And if you look at all the young/rookie starting QBs in the league, they all have top notch RBs to shoulder the load. Ryan has Turner, Flacco has Rice, Ponder has Peterson, Dalton has Benson, Cam has Williams & Stewart, Sanchez has Greene, Bradford has Jackson, and so on and so on. Beck/Grossman are not young or QBs that can be viewed as our future leaders, but if we draft Jones, Griffin III, Tannehill, or suck for Luck, we need a true RB like Forte to help him along.

Signing him would be great - but DO NOT GIVE UP PICKS!

He'll be franchised.

He's a heck of a football player, though... But RB is a peripheral position. Hightower has proven he can play there. Helu will be in his second year, as will Royster. Torain is still on the team.

We need to spend money on the trenches... Not the peripherals.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 07:01 AM ----------

Wait. Did I miss the memo on this?

I was expecting/ hoping out backs next year to be THT, Helu and Royster; with Torrain being cut after camp. But apparently folk are feeling different on THT.

Hail.

His contract is up. I know that.

Home grown. Give Helu and Royster a chance. Going after Forte is going back to Snyder/Cerrato. Grabbing others superstars and playing fantasy football should be out of our system. The problem is not the running back. It's the line. We actually have pretty good talent at back. We have no push. Even when totally healthy we have a below average line. You take a below average line and remove 40% and replace it with backups it is going to be even worse.

Concur. Once these RB's accumulate too many yards on their bodies, their skills decline quickly.

Work on the O-line and coach the RB's that we have to run downhill.

Wait. Did I miss the memo on this?

I was expecting/ hoping out backs next year to be THT, Helu and Royster; with Torrain being cut after camp. But apparently folk are feeling different on THT.

Hail.

I must have missed that memo also. When did Hightower fall out of favor? Because he got hurt? What makes anyone think that Matt Forte is the answer? If we don't have an O-line that can stay healthy or have quality backups, then no matter who you put behind them will never accomplish anything. It amazes me to see how everyone has this grand plan of who we need to go after and who needs to be let go. Someone says Cooley needs to go, D HAll needs to go, need to go after Nnamdi, Cullen Jenkins, Matt Flynn, we need to draft Luck, Suck for Luck, etc.. All because they haven't performed to anyones liking. No one knows the role they have been asked to play and you can't make the QB throw the ball to you. You can't protect the QB if you don't trust the guy next to you to do his job without help. You can't do anything unless everyone trusts and buys into the same concept. It would be nice to have a Matt Forte but when healthy Hightower is just as good. Good O-Line makes everyone look good. Bad O-line play makes a player also look like garbage.

He's a heck of a football player, though... But RB is a peripheral position. Hightower has proven he can play there. Helu will be in his second year, as will Royster. Torain is still on the team.

I have to go with this. I think in today's pass-first NFL, RB is a position where a team can absolutely get away with having a good (vs. great) player. I don't see a strong correlation between wins and great RBs these days. If the passing game isn't there, it's too easy to nullify the effect of a great RB, and with a great passing attack, most any 'good-enough' RB will do.

I cant see it. Tim will be back next season with helu. I think Torrain will be gone though.

Forte will come with a healthy price tag that we should ignore. We've gone down that road one to many times. Not saying that he cant be the exception.

And furthermore, whos opening up the holes for him to run through? I savvy proven vet like Forte is a sexy pick up sure. And i agree that a good running game takes pressure off a young QB, but the biggest and most important part of a running game is the OL. We have, i think, two backs that can ease the pressure off our future young man behind center. But it doesent mean a thing without blocking and depth on the OL.

Our second biggest concern after drafting a QB should be lines men. Then WR.

Archived