• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      In today's Divisional Debacle, the Defense under Greg Manusky in the first half, gave up 207 yards of offense (105 rushing/102 passing) and two touchdowns.  That said, they did manage a single INT on which the Offense actually managed to score a touchdown off of. They allowed 12 of 16 passes to be completed . 

In the second half it was 107 yards given up (58 rushing//49 passing) a field goal and a touchdown. They traded their first half pick for a second half sack. However, Dallas completed all five of their pass attempts. 

Don't read that thinking "Well it seems like they tightened up some in the 2nd half."  They didn't. They simply had about half the plays in the second half. 30 plays in the First and 18 in the Second.

So far in two Divisional matchups, the Defense has faltered in the Second half. They start out like a house of fire for the first few drives until their opponents gradually make adjustments. This Defensive coaching staff fails make any adjustments, whether in game or at the very least at Halftime. They've given up over 30 points per game for a total of 63 points given up in two games. While the Bears are up next, the Pats await and they've put up over 70 points in two games. Yeah. Ok. They did shut out the Dolphins today which is looking like the NFL version of ... ahem... shooting fish in a barrel. 

The frustrating thing is Manusky is the DC that the Front Office actively looked to replace during the off season without firing him. When you know they're looking to replace you, most people would make a concentrated effort to show an improvement. Yet Manusky's Defense still keeps acting like it's starring in Groundhog Day.

In his post game presser, when asked directly about if any coaching changes would be made, Gruden said "No, I think after two games – you’re talking about playing two very good offensive football teams and two of the best offensive lines in pro football we just played back-to-back. That’s no excuse whatsoever, but I don’t think we need to hit the panic button yet. We just have to continue to focus on what we can do better to win. Get Jonathan [Allen] in here, get a couple of our corners back in here and let’s go back and strap it up against Chicago [Bears] next week and see what happens.” 

Here's another frustrating thing. The defensive communication was an issue last season as well. Wasn't this supposed to have been worked on during OTA's and Training Camp? It's understandable that the rookies would still be on a learning curve, but NFL vets like Collins and DRC you'd think they would have down by the start of the season. 

Gruden said they're a very talented group on Defense but that they weren't reaching them. When questioned as to why the coaching staff that has been in place for several years, wasn't reaching them, he defended the comment as them being a young defense. “We have some moving parts now. Landon Collins is a veteran guy but this is his first year, [Montez] Sweat’s in his first year, [Cole] Holcomb, it’s his first year, [Jon] Bostic is in his first year. We’re playing Dominique [Rodgers-Cromartie] at corner and this is Jimmy Moreland’s first year, so it’s not like we are the most experienced group. We feel like were very talented, but we`re still fighting through somethings. There are a lot of things to look forward to, without a doubt, but we do have to play better and strap it up and get back to work."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cooooley47

Computer games

Its kind of suspicious that there are 3 games played against computer teams that were started twice. I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but if you're losing to the computer or you suffer a major injury, its shouldnt be OK to quit and restart. Injuries happen and so does losing to the comp. Hell, I went into OT in my one CPU game. Again, i'm not trying to put anyone on the spot, it just seems odd. There are obviously other circumstances that will force you to start game twice, prob moreso for a CPU game infact. Just throwing this out there. I'm not trying to be a commish or anything and actually I'm not even sure those are written rules, but they should be.

Its kind of suspicious that there are 3 games played against computer teams that were started twice. I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but if you're losing to the computer or you suffer a major injury, its shouldnt be OK to quit and restart. Injuries happen and so does losing to the comp. Hell, I went into OT in my one CPU game. Again, i'm not trying to put anyone on the spot, it just seems odd. There are obviously other circumstances that will force you to start game twice, prob moreso for a CPU game infact. Just throwing this out there. I'm not trying to be a commish or anything and actually I'm not even sure those are written rules, but they should be.

I agree - I try to keep up with it and ask what the reasons are. I had one user text me right away to ask if he could restart due to his playbooks were wrong but he stuck with it anyways. I need to go through and update my file that shows who has restarted against CPU games.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 08:56 PM ----------

BTW with a group this large it is always helpful when people point this stuff out because at this point and time I have a large stack of things to do in my box. I am so happy the trade deadline is over. Going through trying to fix my other league then I need to get a group of guys to help me out for this league and teach people how to make it work and of course I am about to hit the playoffs in my other league too.

end of pointless rant

Think I had to restart due GF needing attention. Someone asked me when we started if I cared about restarts and I said no but didnt really think it out. I can see how multiple restarts is a advantage if used due to injuries,stats,losing ect.

Yea, I could certainly see having something more important/interesting to do while in the middle of playing a madden game, especially while playing against the CPU. So there is def a bit of the honor system involved when playing the CPU to not quit based on losing, injuries or bad stats...

I was beating Denver with 5 minutes to go when I heard the slowdown on the xbox. Hoped I wouldnt, but I then saw the "disc is unreadable" bull****. So I had to play again, and lost.......

I texted kiing yesterday because i forgot to change my playbooks with 3 plays into the game and he asked if i started playing said yes - just manned it up and played with the wrong playbooks - it was rough but i won vs CPU in OT - if i lost... Oh well - Restarting (without a real reason) IMO is CHEATING

I think it's about that time for me to start my drive down "Suck for Luck" BLVD. I'm sure if he were in our draft, he would be able to catch better than anyone on my defense. They are TERRIBLE. I wish there was a way that I could track how many dropped Int's we have as a team. I'm sure we are leading the league. There is no way the Lions should lose to a CPU controlled Broncos team. I wasn't necessarily playing my game, the way I play it. I was using different things in the playbooks and just trying to do different things because I figured I had the game in the bag. The last two Bronco drives were kept alive because of dropped Int's. I'm not talking CPU controlled drops, both were user controlled. I feel like we've hired Carlos Rogers as our CB's coach. Blah. Oh well.. At least you guys now know that I don't quit when I'm either losing or lost. And that my friends is the end of my rant. Thank you for reading.

I think it's about that time for me to start my drive down "Suck for Luck" BLVD. I'm sure if he were in our draft, he would be able to catch better than anyone on my defense. They are TERRIBLE. I wish there was a way that I could track how many dropped Int's we have as a team. I'm sure we are leading the league. There is no way the Lions should lose to a CPU controlled Broncos team. I wasn't necessarily playing my game, the way I play it. I was using different things in the playbooks and just trying to do different things because I figured I had the game in the bag. The last two Bronco drives were kept alive because of dropped Int's. I'm not talking CPU controlled drops, both were user controlled. I feel like we've hired Carlos Rogers as our CB's coach. Blah. Oh well.. At least you guys now know that I don't quit when I'm either losing or lost. And that my friends is the end of my rant. Thank you for reading.

im 7 and 0 though......

Yup Yup... I still have a feeling you're going to go down at the wrong time... Playoffs, AFC Championship game, maybe Superbowl.. But good luck.

Yup Yup... I still have a feeling you're going to go down at the wrong time... Playoffs, AFC Championship game, maybe Superbowl.. But good luck.

Haters-gonna-hate-random-21049613-500-412.jpg

oh little nugget of information.. in the playoffs.. if your in overtime DO NOT KICK A FG.. because if you do.. and your opponent scores a TD.. the person who kicked the FG will get the win.. its a bug.. also.. after every season is over.. we end up with the same schedules.. so all of you hoes will end up getting beat by me again and again...

---------- Post added November-5th-2011 at 11:07 PM ----------

You better hope you don't lose, Dro.

come at me bro...

oh little nugget of information.. in the playoffs.. if your in overtime DO NOT KICK A FG.. because if you do.. and your opponent scores a TD.. the person who kicked the FG will get the win.. its a bug.. also.. after every season is over.. we end up with the same schedules.. so all of you hoes will end up getting beat by me again and again...

---------- Post added November-5th-2011 at 11:07 PM ----------

come at me bro...

the same schedule.....wtf thats gay

UMMMM where did you get this info????

i just ran thru season 2 of my other league.. we had multiple problems...

1..... LM draft wasn't up so the draft picks that were traded were still made by the orginal teams so all the teams i traded with would have to PM or Email their personal picks to me for the Commish to move over to their team later...

2..... The schedule stayed the same.. im playing the same teams i played the first season..

3..... I've seen 3 games end in the way i was talking about in playoff games.. first team with the ball kicks the FG... then the 2nd team scores.. win goes to the team that scored a FG.. ****s it all up.. which is why my other league bans the FG in the OT.. which changes the gameplan dramatically... EA needs to step up their game imo....

more indepth...

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/223919/editorial-buggy-online-franchises-in-madden-and-ncaa-football-are-a-missed-opportunity/