Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bank Of America Abandons Plan To Charge $5 Monthly Debit Fee (WashPost)

mjah

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/bank-of-american-drops-debit-card-fee/2011/11/01/gIQADvugcM_story.html?hpid=z1

Bank of America abandons plan to charge $5 monthly debit fee

In a rare reversal, Bank of America announced Tuesday that it will drop a highly criticized fee for customers who swipe their debit cards.

The bank had intended to begin charging the $5 fee next year, citing new federal regulations that it says have hurt its bottom line. But the debit charge drew a torrent of fury from customers, lawmakers and even President Obama. Faced with consumer backlash, Wells Fargo recently abandoned its own testing of a fee. Regions Bank and SunTrust have also dropped their charges.

Big win for social media and the positive impacts it can have on society. I think Twitter/FB were critical in creating a backlash that actually worked.

This wont fix their problem though - they still suck and have zero customer service.

I got 5 friends to leave them this week and join my local credit union (I get $25 a head :)). I am working on 3 more for next week.

Once they announced their plans for this, I began a transition to a credit union.

By the end of this month, my relationship with Bank Of America will be done.

Same here, but I went with USAA. BoA will be deleted from my financial dealings as soon as I can verify my home equity direct withdrawal has been transferred to USAA. Until ten, BoA will have only enough of my money to cover that debit. And this is after 10 years.

As a side note, it is a pain in the ass to change banks.

I was 100% BoA-free until they bought my mortgage (along with the rest of Countrywide, who bought it from someone else, who... etc.). Booooooooooo.

Will be heading to the bank this week to refi and get a notably better rate, with the nice side effect of getting away from BoA 2 years after they bought my debt. I wonder what they paid for it. By repaying in full after just 24 months, might I be sticking it to those suckas?

Looks like the occupy movement has it's first major success.

A majority of the OWS people don't look like they even have a checking account. I think it's a matter of BOA seeing a dramatic upswing in closed accounts.

As a side note, it is a pain in the ass to change banks.

I think that's one thing BOA was counting on. People would tolerate it because it's "too hard" to change banks.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15918524/bofa-insider-says-bank-is-losing-customers

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Reports that Bank of America will back off its debit card fee are surfacing, but a BofA insider who asked to remain anonymous says the real reason why has so far been missing from those stories.

"What is not being reported," the insider says, "is that this consideration is not due to the Occupy movements throughout the US, but rather a mass exodus of existing customers coupled with a significant drop in new account openings. A good amount of execs were sequestered into a conference room for a couple of days last week, and it resembled a war room preparing for a mini Armageddon."

Charlotte Metro Credit Union says it has seen 1400 new checking accounts from September 30th through October 27th - a 373% increase - and that the majority of its new customers are flocking from Bank of America and Wells Fargo.

Wells also planned to pilot a new debit card fee, but it's already bagged the idea, because it's been getting its share of negative input too.

Wells placed in the bottom five of a 24-bank survey ranking customer satisfaction among small businesses.

Bank of America ranked dead last.

A majority of the OWS people don't look like they even have a checking account. I think it's a matter of BOA seeing a dramatic upswing in closed accounts.

I think this was an issue with them.

I believe there was a call for people to turn in their bank cards and close their accounts over this.

I think it is a combination.

You are 100% correct that Bank of America is not reacting to the folks at OWS closing their accounts. It is everyday folks who are moving their accounts that has them scared to ****. But, I believe the conversation that OWS has spark is a factor in folks moving their bank accounts.

Regardless, I couldn't be happier and hope this entire thing becomes a disaster for BofA.

I think it is a combination.

You are 100% correct that Bank of America is not reacting to the folks at OWS closing their accounts. It is everyday folks who are moving their accounts that has them scared to ****. But, I believe the conversation that OWS has spark is a factor in folks moving their bank accounts.

Regardless, I couldn't be happier and hope this entire thing becomes a disaster for BofA.

I think the people who did move their accounts, or didn't open new accounts with BoA, are a result more of fiscal prudence rather than paying attention to OWS protestors. People who are willing to go through the hassled of financial re-construction (IMO) are not the type to be sparked by an OWS protest.

I expect a noticable lack of criticism of the free market in this thread. :)

People don't criticize things when they work.

It's that whole "out-of-control and dangerous" part that tends to attract criticism.

And this is not that.

:)

I'm already in the process of moving my checking to https://www.myconsumers.org/en/Home.aspx.

4.09% on my checking...it has meant my interest on from the first month in that account has already surpassed the yearly interst from my vanguard money market.

The no fee for ATMs anywhere is huge. With their paying the ATM charges, I don't care how many ATMs Bank of America has. I can still use them. the only down side is paperwork switching auto deposit at work and the time reentering accounts for bill pay. Still, $400 on a $10k checking account is a nice return for a net increase in my ability to use my checking account.

Bank of America is super shady. I have caught them at least 10 times trying to charge me bs fees that weren't legit. They always credit them back immediately, but imagine how many people don't catch the fees, or call in to complain. They manipulate the timing of debit charges to try to catch people with overdrafts. I have personal and business accounts with BoA, which I am in the process of moving elsewhere. I already decided I was going to move before the news of the debit card fees came out.

They will find another way to try to stick it to their customers, and eventually they wlll bury themselves with their questionable business practices.

I expect a noticable lack of criticism of the free market in this thread. :)

Though I'm sure that the 'corporations will just pass the costs on to the public if your regulate/tax them more' chorus will continue to rise to a glorious crescendo for years to come. :D

Archived