Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To be a contender we must master the thing we suck at the most.

HRNY4ZRNY

Free Agency.

Top ten free agent busts on NFL network had all of the Redskins offseason free agents as number 1. The only way Coach Shanahan can have success here is bringing in many talented hungry free agents.

Think about it. We have so many needs. A QB, a #1 WR, a stud RB, Interior line help, a #1 CB, DL help, and even LB's.

Thats atleast 10 players right there. Lets say we use our 1st and 2nd round picks next year and they both turn out to be great.

That still leaves 8 more players we desperately need.

The other scenario is our 1st and 2nd round picks don't pan out. Now we are still 10 players away.

3rd-7th round picks in my eyes are great for depth and once and awhile getting a diamond in the rough.

In my eyes the only way for Coach Shanahan to have a chance of reaching the playoffs in his five year stint is to go all in on free agency. Make sure we target the right people, try to find a #1 WR and pray to god they are not going to be added to our epic lists of free agent busts.

Side note: Would it be the most horrible thing ever if Mike Shanahan doesn't make it to the playoffs once in 5 years but leaves us with a team rich with talent for the next coach to inherint. What if Coach Shanahan's legacy is known for building our core here in Washington and putting us in a position to win. He has already drafted Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan.

What if he continues down that path and keeps drafting OL, DL and finally gives us some solid line play?

Can't fix it all in 1 year, this year we fixed a little.

This is a 3+ year fix, not an offseason fix. People need to learn how to be patient.

I understand us being patient but Mike Shanahan has 5 years. We are midway through year 2. We still need all the positions I listed above. Draft picks are not gaurantee locks. We have been pretty good up to this point but sooner or later we are going to draft a 1st round bust.

I understand patients and would have more if Coach Shanahan was in a 10 year deal.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 09:09 AM ----------

Free agency is so not a high priority with the Steelers and Packers.

They also have patient owners. Ours has been good up to this point.

I understand us being patient but Mike Shanahan has 5 years. We are midway through year 2. We still need all the positions I listed above. Draft picks are not gaurantee locks. We have been pretty good up to this point but sooner or later we are going to draft a 1st round bust.

I understand patients and would have more if Coach Shanahan was in a 10 year deal.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 09:09 AM ----------

They also have patient owners. Ours has been good up to this point.

Yeah but year one was a bust because he thought we had more talent than we did. We now have gutted partially, played well in free agency, and have a ton of draft picks. We are on the right track.

We have been doing what you are suggesting. Selling the farm to get it all together in one offseason. That approach leads to failure.

We have a ton of draft picks. But we have 1 1st and 1 2nd.

The rest of the picks to me at best are quality depth. We need stud playmakers. Not alot of Brandyn Thompsons and Roy Helu's. We have a ton of no name guys that arent improving, next year we will just have a lot more.

Actually we wont have anymore. Because the no name 3rd-7th round picks will just take the place of our no names right now. So in essence we will be in the same place.

We need more 1st and 2nd round talent. They are generally chosen high for a reason. They have speed, power, talent etc. If we need to go through free agency to get those players than do it.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 09:22 AM ----------

I think we should keep drafting OL, DL and LBS and find our skill positions in free agency.

I keep hearing this.

What have we fixed?

What is better?

I think our defensive talent is much better than last year.

One of the problems on this board, and with our coaches, and not this regime, is they place too much value in guys like Moss, Cooley, Portis, Sellers, D Hall. Keeping these guys around (yes I know Portis is gone) is holding us back from a full rebound. It's still a "hope" that we might still contend.

This offseason we work on the offensive side of ball and less on defense.

Then we wait for another offseason.

You can't fix 20 years of failure, and a decade of flipping coaching staff, and player mentality in the time Shanny has been here.

What would you propose he do? Some people on here still want to bring back Portis :ols: REALLY? You wonder why we suck.

I think we should target Dwayne Bowe, Peyton Hillis and Jermichael Finley.

IMO,....No to #1, No to #2, No to #3.... I would prefer to draft WR since D.Bowe will likely demand top $$ and will probably get more than he's worth. Our RB situation isn't dire, I think Torain and Helu are good players, I would rather address the Oline. You could bring A.P. here and it would yield the same results if the line isn't fixed. Finley? IMO, we have our own "Finley" in Freddy. Lets give him the money, keep Paulsen as the backup, and perhaps draft a young 3rd string TE in the later rounds.

IMO,....No to #1, No to #2, No to #3.... I would prefer to draft WR since D.Bowe will likely demand top $$ and will probably get more than he's worth. Our RB situation isn't dire, I think Torain and Helu are good players, I would rather address the Oline. You could bring A.P. here and it would yield the same results if the line isn't fixed. Finley? IMO, we have our own "Finley" in Freddy. Lets give him the money, keep Paulsen as the backup, and perhaps draft a young 3rd string TE in the later rounds.

Fine you draft a 1st round WR... Whos gonna be the QB?

Fine you draft a 1st round WR... Whos gonna be the QB?

This is where you might have to sacrifice next year's first to have 2 1st rd'ers in the 2012 draft. If I was Bruce, I'd go ahead and trade next year's 1st to move up in the 1st rd of the '12 draft. Why waste money on a FA who will require top dollar and he busts out?

Free agency is so not a high priority with the Steelers and Packers.
I disagree. It's of huge importance to all successful teams. They just do not go after the top star, they use it for need. They are precise, the Skins are haphazard.

The Steelers have 23 FAs on their roster including 15 undrafted FAs

The Pack has 20 FAs including 15 undrafted.

Skins have 34 FAs including 14 undrafted.

I disagree. It's of huge importance to all successful teams. They just do not go after the top star, they use it for need. They are precise, the Skins are haphazard.

The Steelers have 23 FAs on their roster including 15 undrafted FAs

The Pack has 20 FAs including 15 undrafted.

Skins have 34 FAs including 14 undrafted.

Notice how the good teams have fewer FAs. Of course everybody has to sign some FAs, but April is the priority, not March. I like the way things have changed around here, but good teams don't need to "master" free agency, they just need to be efficient, that's all. We're getting there.

Notice how the good teams have fewer FAs. Of course everybody has to sign some FAs, but April is the priority, not March. I like the way things have changed around here, but good teams don't need to "master" free agency, they just need to be efficient, that's all. We're getting there.
Wouldn't all this be called "mastering" FA? Using it as a tool, but not using it as "the" tool.

I do not see the Skins getting there, yet. The signing of Grossman showed that. I mean, the year after signing a potential HOF FA QB who failed, they try signing an average FA QB. What did they think was going to happen? Bruce Allen has not impressed.

I keep hearing this.

What have we fixed?

What is better?

Nothing is better and there is no talent on this team to build around. If there is they are hiding it very well plus after watching Sundays embarrasment, any talent they have brought in is not buying into the Shanny system - they flat out did not show up to play. The same old Skins that have been playing this way for years.

I would rather have a losing season(s) with a young QB learning the system than a Linebacker.

Nothing is better and there is no talent on this team to build around. If there is they are hiding it very well plus after watching Sundays embarrasment, any talent they have brought in is not buying into the Shanny system - they flat out did not show up to play. The same old Skins that have been playing this way for years.

I would buy that fully if Sunday's game had the same group of guys we fielded on opening day.

There's no way I'm giving them a free pass for injuries, but to not take it into account AT ALL is equally wrong.

We HAVE improved in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, the injury bug has chomped down ridiculously hard.

Jarvis Jenkins. I think with him on the line this year, we could've been a LOT better. His injury was terrible. Still, Kerrigan is showing good signs and it's hard to argue that the pass rush hasn't improved.

I think our STARTING offensive line was an improvement over last year. Unfortunately, it's now in disarray with injuries.

I think Hightower was a great add and an upgrade at RB. Again, injury takes him away for the season. The jury's still out on Helu - he gets a lot of praise, but he needs to show it.

Dumping Carlos looks like a mistake, and I'd have to say our secondary is no better, probably worse.

QB is definitely worse, although it was still awful with McNabb, and I'm fully convinced that Rex and Beck were considered placeholders this year who it was hoped could do well enough to manage the offense. Hasn't worked out.

Kicking game looks better, Punting game is EXCEPTIONALLY improved. Rocca's talents are unfortunately being wasted, but if he can stay with us a few years and maintain his abilities, he will be a very strong weapon.

So yeah, I think we've improved, but our depth, as we're seeing, still sucks.

I also think that, despite all those problems, there is NO excuse for the kind of crap we saw on Sunday, and that definitely comes down to coaching.

It might be hard to get this team to win consistently with this roster the way it is now, but it should be expected that a coach of Shanny's supposed caliber can at least get them to compete.

Kicking game looks better, Punting game is EXCEPTIONALLY improved. Rocca's talents are unfortunately being wasted, but if he can stay with us a few years and maintain his abilities, he will be a very strong weapon.

The only misses Gano has are blocked FGs, correct?

Archived