Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LATimes: Brian Williams rolls out 'Rock Center'

Teller

Brian Williams will be moonlighting Mondays this fall' date=' but at least he won't have a long commute to his second job. Just a few steps, in fact.

On Monday, NBC will premiere the live newsmagazine "Rock Center With Brian Williams," with the anchor of the No. 1-rated "NBC Nightly News" serving as host. Viewers might find the setting familiar: Both programs will originate from different corners of the same space, Studio 3B in the network's Rockefeller Center headquarters in New York.

Long-struggling NBC is angling to make "Rock Center" the first successful launch of a prime-time broadcast newsmagazine in 20 years. And it has found an energetic evangelist in the 52-year-old anchor, a proudly old-school newshound who sees the public as increasingly weary of the shouting matches on cable news and therefore hungry for quality long-form TV journalism.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-rock-center-20111031,0,2606567.story

I'm excited about this show. I respect Brian Williams as an anchor and journalist, and firmly believe he was the most capable choice to fill the huge shoes vacated by Tom Brokaw on the Nightly News. I'm anxious to see the premiere tonight (check your local listings...lol) to see what Williams & Co. can do with the opportunity to further investigate the stories that only get :30 or a minute at 7 pm.

What do you guys think? Will you be watching?

Yeah, I'll likely check it out. Williams is one of the few in the business I like and respect.

I think it's particularly cool that you said "like AND respect."

These days, it seems easy to find news hosts that you may like. It's easy to "like" a host that espouses your political values. But if you find yourself always agreeing with that person, you can't really respect them.

Likewise, you can find journalists that you respect, but can't stand to watch. Christiane Amanpour is one of those for me. She's great at what she does, but she annoys the HELL out of me.

To have both, in one guy, these days is pretty impressive, IMO.

I think it's particularly cool that you said "like AND respect."

These days, it seems easy to find news hosts that you may like. It's easy to "like" a host that espouses your political values. But if you find yourself always agreeing with that person, you can't really respect them.

Likewise, you can find journalists that you respect, but can't stand to watch. Christiane Amanpour is one of those for me. She's great at what she does, but she annoys the HELL out of me.

To have both, in one guy, these days is pretty impressive, IMO.

I never gave it much thought HH, but that's an interesting take and I agree it's rare to find both qualities in a person.

I hope all is well in your world too bro. Don't really interact with you that much, but always interested in what's on your mind.

I never gave it much thought HH, but that's an interesting take and I agree it's rare to find both qualities in a person.

I hope all is well in your world too bro. Don't really interact with you that much, but always interested in what's on your mind.

Very kind of you to say. And things are good here, thanks. Hopefully we'll have the chance to chat more. :cheers:

Yeah, I don't watch much network news, but I do like Brian Williams. When Brokaw left the NBC Nightly News, I was heartbroken. I was 13 when it happened and Brokaw was the guy that first inspired my love for journalism. I turned my back on NBC News after that, but now that I'm older I can appreciate Williams more.

I watch PBS for the evening news, but I think I'll tune to NBC on Monday nights for Rock Center.

When Brian Williams did a cameo on SNL he was as good as any of the cast members. He's got a great, wry sense of humor that he rarely gets to use on the network news. We saw it on SNL and we see it when he's a guest on Leno or one of the other talk shows. I wonder if Rock Center lets his sense of humor show through, or if it'll be straight up news. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing it. 60 Minutes and Koppel's Nightline set the bar high... let's see if Rock Center can measure up...

Well, it looks like I'm going to North Dakota if I don't get the internships I need.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

These are the kind of stories J-School students dream and dread while they study.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 10:31 PM ----------

"Got in, put their stuff away, and sat the hell down."

:ols:

Archived