Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR Discussion

ExtremeSkins Staff

No that sounds like the worst WR corps in the NFL.

We're already there. I'd take Hankerson/ Paul/ Austin over Gaffney/ Armstrong/ Stallworth all day. But thats ok, be happy that you've heard of the guys we're trotting out there now. Ignore the fact that they can't get open against some of the worst defenses in the league.

Shanhan is a stubborn a** that will always do things HIS way. Thats the one thing i was concerned about him when he was hired... his methods might seem a bit ancient in 2011. Stretch left, stretch right, QB bootleg. Rinse, repeat.

Im looking for us to grab the next Rex Ryan, Jim/John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc. The thing about these guys are that they're younger, smarter, and most importantly, know about CURRENT 2011 NFL FOOTBALL

Im looking for us to grab the next Rex Ryan' date=' Jim/John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc. The thing about these guys are that they're younger, smarter, and most importantly, know about CURRENT 2011 NFL FOOTBALL[/quote']

You know whats funny? We were "suppose" to have that next young, smarter, and modern coach in the wings with Kyle Shanny....look how thats turned out.

I'd just like the folks here to take notice of what just happened in the Monday Night Game. Jonathan Baldwin who by all accounts was terrible in the preseason got significant playing time in just his 2nd start and made some huge plays. Sure he dropped a few passes but he made plays too. What a novel concept....Play a young guy AND give him some opportunities even though there are very accomplished receivers ahead of him on the depth chart. But nooooo, we trot out Armstrong/ Gaffye/ and Stallworth. Ridiculous.

If we drafted Calvin Johnson he'd be a kick returner for the Argonauts by now.

Hahaha I liked that one.

If the Packers WR core is a 10, we are a 7... and sadly enough, this is the youngest/fastest/deepest group of WRs we have had in like 10 years. Gaffney has taken a step-back from how he looked in preseason, but he also proved last year he can be a baller when healthy. (He will be a phenomenal kick returner for the Argonauts next year.)

Losing Moss brings us down to a 6, but I place full blame on the QBs making them look like 4s. I can't even give Kyle too much **** because at times we've seen this offense click and it revolves around the the passing game.

Bottom line: Our guys are middle-of-the-pack or BETTER than most other teams right now, we will just never know it.

You know whats funny? We were "suppose" to have that next young, smarter, and modern coach in the wings with Kyle Shanny....look how thats turned out.

Hard to call plays when the defense is getting pressure on practically every pass and you're averaging less than 3 yards per carry.

Kyle's not the problem.

Hard to call plays when the defense is getting pressure on practically every pass and you're averaging less than 3 yards per carry.

Kyle's not the problem.

i agree hes not the main problem, but hes also not helping either. I agree that its impossible to make a good offense out of poop, but seriously.. no points against the bills, not even many yards for that matter.

In the order they were drafted:

AJ Green, 4th overall (33 rec, 516 yds, 5 TDs)

Julio Jones, 6th overall (25 rec, 358 yds)

Jonathan Baldwin, 26th overall (6 rec, 96 yds,1 TD)

Titus Young, 44th overall (19 rec, 275 yds, 1 TD)

Torrey Smith, 58th overall (15 rec, 326 yds, 3 TDs)

Greg Little, 59th overall (29 rec, 262 yds)

Randall Cobb, 64th overall (11 rec, 187 yds, 1 TD)

Austin Pettis, 78th overall (7 rec, 47 yds)

Leonard Hankerson, 79th overall (1 rec, 25 yds)

Vincent Brown, 82nd overall (2 rec, 26 yds)

Kris Durham, 107th overall (3 rec, 30 yds)

Greg Salas, 112th overall (20 rec, 205 yds)

Denarius Moore, 148th overall (14 rec, 212 yds, 2 TDs)

Jeremy Kerley, 153rd overall (9 rec, 82 yds, 1 TD)

Niles Paul, 155th overall (2 rec, 25 yds)

David Ausberry, 241st overall (1 rec, 4 yds)

Demarco Sampson, 249th overall (2 rec, 27 yds)

Doug Baldwin, UDFA (25 rec, 403 yds, 2 TDs)

Dane Sanzenbacher, UDFA (19 rec, 172 yds, 3 TDs)

All other rookie WRs drafted either haven't seen the field or are on the practice squad.

At the end of World War II, American bomber crews sometimes returned because every target they were sent after was already bombed out.

Opposing defenses face the same dilemma. With all of Washington's receivers, none of whom is capable of creating separation, who should the defenses even bother double-covering? They can go single coverage all day long and put everybody else in the box.

This team has a lot of talent at wide receiver....lots of young talent. One of the problems is how they are used; another problem is who is coaching them. Keenan McCardell was a steady, reliable receiver when he played, but he had zero coaching experience prior to taking on his current role as our WR coach. He did some kind of internship with the Giants before he was hired, but that really counts for nothing. A lot of times, it's difficult to judge talent because their coaches inhibit their development. We had it with Stan Hixon, and we have it again with McCardell. One of the first things I do when a new coach is hired is pay close attention to whom he hires.......that will tell you a lot about how successful that team might be. Gibbs 1.0 was a ridiculously competent and quality coaching staff. Gibbs 2.0, not so much. Miami has one of the WORST coaching staffs I have ever seen assembled. It shows.

For the Skins, we have a real dud for defensive coordinator; there's a reason he was coaching in the UFL before coming here. Lou Spanos should be the defensive coordinator. Our offensive line coach was terrible when he was at SF, and he's equally bad here. Shanahan didn't do a good job of assembling a staff. That is what explains a lot of the team's struggles. There is a lot of talent on this squad. It is not being utilized, it is not being developed. Get McCardell away from those receivers or it's gonna be Stan Hixon all over again. Hixon's shortcomings are masked in Buffalo because Chan Gailey is very hands-on with the receivers because of his background as a former receivers coach. My hope is that some collegiate coaching opportunities surface, and some of our coaches take a walk in that direction.

This team has a lot of talent at wide receiver....lots of young talent. One of the problems is how they are used; another problem is who is coaching them. Keenan McCardell was a steady, reliable receiver when he played, but he had zero coaching experience prior to taking on his current role as our WR coach. He did some kind of internship with the Giants before he was hired, but that really counts for nothing. A lot of times, it's difficult to judge talent because their coaches inhibit their development..

You are vastly overstating/mis- using the term "talent". You saw all the WRs drafted - these 2 are mediocre draft picks that more than likely would be mediocre or not even make the team on other NFL rosters. Hell, I can easily say that Riley Cooper is better than these two - and he cant even see the field - and i would NEVER use the word "talented " when describing him. If they were good and talented they WOULD be playing over the likes of scrub has beens like Stallworth and Gaff - WRs that almost 90% of other teams wouldnt even consider on their teams as starters. Think about it. Shanny is a good coach - I guess you know and have seen more than he has during practice and preseason. LOL

All of these guys have already had a better season than any rookie Redskins wideout since 2001, and they've only played 7 games. That is really sad.

You are vastly overstating/mis- using the term "talent". You saw all the WRs drafted - these 2 are mediocre draft picks that more than likely would be mediocre or not even make the team on other NFL rosters. Hell, I can easily say that Riley Cooper is better than these two - and he cant even see the field - and i would NEVER use the word "talented " when describing him. If they were good and talented they WOULD be playing over the likes of scrub has beens like Stallworth and Gaff - WRs that almost 90% of other teams wouldnt even consider on their teams as starters. Think about it. Shanny is a good coach - I guess you know and have seen more than he has during practice and preseason. LOL

Hankerson is definitely talented. He spent 4 years looking like a top 5 WR in college. You don't think Shanny makes mistakes? If he didn't he wouldn't have been canned in Denver. Good coaches can be wrong about things, especially coaches with huge egos who think they are ALWAYS right.

Hankerson is definitely talented. He spent 4 years looking like a top 5 WR in college. You don't think Shanny makes mistakes? If he didn't he wouldn't have been canned in Denver. Good coaches can be wrong about things, especially coaches with huge egos who think they are ALWAYS right.

So you agree then that he drafted a talented NCAA WR that hasn't even really seen the field yet - and his competition at WR ( now that Tana is gone) is average and he STILL cant get much action! Something is missing then. It looks like another case of Kelly/Thomas - because if you look at other TALENTED draft picks - the reason they have 15-20 receptions and 200+ yards already 7-8 games in is because they are showing something in practice and getting playing time and then ACTUALLY getting open! That is all that matters - not what they did in college. Not calling any rookie WR a bust half way into the season but if they were NFL talented - they would have similar results - bad Oline /QB or not ( as seen by some of the other WRs in the draft with similar situations< if not worse)

Face it - Paul and Hankerson will end up average and the Skins will be searching for that ever allusive Top tier WR - and QB to go along with that. Hell after you drafted Thomas and Kelly ( 2nd round) and didn't get production - you think you would have most fans a pessemistic on this topic - but not here in ES Land.

Good luck - it happens all the time and history is on your side as we have seen many Pro-Bowl WRs being groomed in DC over the last 20 years...

Cut Stallworth, let's sign Brian Robiskie who was just waived by the Browns. The guy has McCoy at QB, but I remember him back at Ohio State, and he was a good receiver and blocker. It's time we cut ties with Stallworth anyway, the guy's only asset was speed...WAS speed!

Jonathan Baldwin, 26th overall (6 rec, 96 yds,1 TD)

Austin Pettis, 78th overall (7 rec, 47 yds)

Leonard Hankerson, 79th overall (1 rec, 25 yds)

Vincent Brown, 82nd overall (2 rec, 26 yds)

Kris Durham, 107th overall (3 rec, 30 yds)

Jeremy Kerley, 153rd overall (9 rec, 82 yds, 1 TD)

Niles Paul, 155th overall (2 rec, 25 yds)

David Ausberry, 241st overall (1 rec, 4 yds)

Demarco Sampson, 249th overall (2 rec, 27 yds)

All other rookie WRs drafted either haven't seen the field or are on the practice squad.

You have to play to get targets.

You have to get targets to get catches.

By signing Gaffney and Stallworth and having 20 WRs in camp they effectively reduced Hankerson and Paul's chances to make an impact because they didn't/couldn't focus on developing them.

I'm looking at Brandon Marshall's stats in 2006 as a rookie. He didn't start the season either. Until the middle of the season he didn't have even one catch. So it seems to me like Hankerson is getting his chances earlier than Brandon Marshall. Hankerson has already been active for us two games in a row. Maybe Shanahan believes that his ceiling is higher than Marshall's.

Cut Stallworth, let's sign Brian Robiskie who was just waived by the Browns. The guy has McCoy at QB, but I remember him back at Ohio State, and he was a good receiver and blocker. It's time we cut ties with Stallworth anyway, the guy's only asset was speed...WAS speed!

I'm not sure about signing Robiskie, but I'm all for cutting Stallworth. I'm amazed that 2 years in a row we signed an old speed receiver and played him over younger options. I remember how adamant people on this board were that we keep him after he made catches versus backups in the preseason so the fans aren't much smarter either.

Yes. There is no upside to keeping him around. Surely the coaches realize this, I would be surprised if he isn't cut in the next 2-3 weeks when we are officially out of the playoff hunt

The WRs didn't look very good this week, but lets acknowledge that the lack of a running game and the lack of decent pass protection had a little to do with it. The Bills could stack against the pass because they could mount effective pressure with just the front four. The Bills didn't have to scheme against Moss either. Armstrong doesn't look right yet. Gaffney is a #3 receiver, not anything better. Stallworth had a bad game (no doubt some minor injury again, limiting his 'speed.')

So that leave the three 'new' receivers -- Austin, Paul and Hankerson. Austin is showing decent promise in his second year. I'm really beginning to like how Paul developing. Considering his high talent potential, Hankerson continues to disappoint, in everything except gaining separation. But ALL are getting better with more playing time.

I don't think McCardell is a bad WR coach, because it's still too early to see how his trainees will turn out. I expect the Skins will know what they've got by late 2012, because most WRs complete their transformation to NFL-caliber around their third year. To try judging them by the Bills game, when the Skins had no running game, terrible O-line play, no time to for plays to develop, and a defense well-stacked against the pass -- that seems a little premature.

Hank82 Has impressed me! LH Looks very good out there starting, and I think Hank was one of the few bright spots in todays game. I think Hank will start to see more playing time each week. Beck missed LH running wide open running down the sidelines a few times in todays game. Im hoping LH can improve more the next game , at the same time staying consistent. Helu with 14 catches maybe we can see more of a agressive offense next game. The "hurry up" tempo seemed to be working for us late in the game. Just saying... At this point what do we have to lose?

Hail

Archived