Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR Discussion

ExtremeSkins Staff

I can't believe this team resigned Santana Moss. He's not a #1 wideout, and I think the front office is under the impression that he is, and we don't need a receiver.

We need about 4 wide receivers. Armstrong is really up and down inconsistent, don't have a lot of faith in him either.

How is Armstrong up & down? In 4 games the dude has 5 catches for less than 50 yards and he has an extremely difficult time getting away from corners.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 06:36 AM ----------

I'd like to know how much our rookies played today. Saw Hankerson made one catch. No Niles Paul around.

Hankersom made a catch, then had a step on what could have been a long td pass (the ball was thrown behind him instead of out in front)...Then we get a healthy dose of Armstrong & Stallworth the rest of the game. Fantastic!!!! Where are all those folks who were saying we had to keep Donte based on him scoring against 4th stringers at the end of the preseason finale?

I don't think we can judge Austin, Hankerson, or Paul yet. I think I'd actually prefer that the cut Banks and bring back Robinson too. Let 4 younger guys plus Armstrong play WR and then figure out who to start opposite Bowe next year. Hopefully Paulsen wouldn't mind giving up his number.

Bowe's coming here?

Pretty sure Kansas City will try their damndest to keep him. Let's not go signing big name free agents to big contracts before the offseason even begins.

No that sounds like the worst WR corps in the NFL.

And yet the Buffalo Bills WRs tore us up today, definition of no names describes them. They are ALL UDFAs, besides Stevie Johnson who was a 7th round pick.

What I've said over and over again, this team doesnt need a ILB or corner as desperately as we need a stud WR, we have a bunch of pretty okay WRs for the 2 spot. Problem is, we would need a blue chip prospect to come in next year, which wont happen since that 1st rounder is going to a QB who will inevitably fail or be mediocre. Unless a corner like Janoris Jenkins or Dre Kirkpatrick (don't bother with the rest of the "playmaking" CBs) falls to the 2nd round, I say we take a WR, I don't really know who though... We need to stack this offense and do it fast, Beck is a pretty okay QB but when his line is completely terrible and he is waiting for a bunch of 7th round rookie WRs to get open, he won't exactly shine. A WR upgrade is completely nessesary and for once I would like us to go out and spend money on a Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson.

Our "WRs" had 7 catches for 85 yards today. What is there to discuss? Our WRs are unbelievably terrible. They get no separation. If they do, the QB either overthrows/underthrows or gets sacked. The QB-WR combo needs a majorrrrr upheaval! I think we have a WR3 among the young guys, but we need a serious blue chipper. High on our draft list next year: QB-WR-OL. For the sake of space, I won't elaborate on all the needs.

I don't think we have a single WR - outside of Moss - who would make the top three on any other team.

I was flipping between the Steelers-Pats and us. The Steelers apparently built one of the best WR corps in the NFL over the past three years when no one was looking. How is that even possible?

I just looked it up. Antonio Brown is 23 and has 16 catches over the past two games.

We have three receivers in their 20s who contribute. They have 11 catches this season.

Anyone else notice how every other team in the NFL is able to get production from young wide receivers? I'm talking about guys who are seriously productive within 2 years, if not their rookie season.

Either we just have no idea how to draft them, or we're ruining them ourselves. I mean my god, how many receivers that we've drafted in the last decade are even in the NFL anymore? If we drafted Calvin Johnson he'd be a kick returner for the Argonauts by now.

You can't get production from young receivers unless you're willing to play them. We waste our time with retreads that wouldn't be starting anywhere else and play them at the expense of our young players because they're not going to make mental mistakes. I'll live with some damn mental mistakes if its coupled with some playmaking. Armstrong/ Stallworth should not be active or on rosters and Gaffney should be a #3/ or #4......

You can't get production from young receivers unless you're willing to play them. We waste our time with retreads that wouldn't be starting anywhere else and play them at the expense of our young players because they're not going to make mental mistakes. I'll live with some damn mental mistakes if its coupled with some playmaking. Armstrong/ Stallworth should not be active or on rosters and Gaffney should be a #3/ or #4......

Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. We just don't give them a real chance to get better.

I fully agree with Jivelikenice and Botched - you have to give your young wideouts opportunities to get on the field and make plays. Hopefully they produce. If nothing else, they are gaining valuable experience and accelerating their learning process at the very least.

It also hurts when you are handcuffed at the QB position. We have indeed drafted a number of wideouts over the years . . . but who has been here to throw them the ball?

I wonder, if we drafted a DeSean Jackson (I have no love for the guy BTW) then he would have been benched until he was "ready". I think we have plenty of talent but they aren't getting the opportunities. Coach seems to be big on practices and it seems like the guys on the field on gameday must practice really well and play at a lower level. Hearing about Buffallo's WR unit makes me wonder how much is scouting and how much is getting the most out of guys. Stallworth...umm. Use Austin, who's a speedster and Hankerson, who's a big target at their strengths and let's go and fight for old DC! HTTR

Hankerson looks like the real deal. I COULD be wrong, but the reason I think that Hankerson is seeing limited snaps is because they want him to be a COMPLETE receiver, a true #1 guy. He has to learn and run ALL the routes; short, intermediate, and deep. Certain plays/packages designed for Hankerson IMO is what we've seen, and he's been all over the field against Buffalo, comebacks, slants, Go-routes, etc.

Other guys i've noticed are used for particular things: Armstrong (Go Deep), Paul (Block), Austin (Crosses) Gaffney (timing routes) Stallworth (Deep). I think they ARE grooming Hankerson to be the next Andre Johnson. He will be able to do EVERYTHING.....

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

Also, I do believe his only catch was a 23 yarder. He can get open downfield.

Anyone else notice how every other team in the NFL is able to get production from young wide receivers? I'm talking about guys who are seriously productive within 2 years, if not their rookie season.

Either we just have no idea how to draft them, or we're ruining them ourselves. I mean my god, how many receivers that we've drafted in the last decade are even in the NFL anymore? If we drafted Calvin Johnson he'd be a kick returner for the Argonauts by now.

Look what Jonathan Baldwin from KC is doing tonight? Plus he missed the first five games due to suspension and we have Hankerson sitting on the bench tweeting instead of starting, pathetic!

I hear you man just look at the Steelers and their young wide receiver crew. This team is not going anywhere start the young guys let them get some playing time and evaluate talent

Archived