Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two ref plays at the end of the half

Burgold

ok here we go: this is one of the rule changes made in 2007-

Two-minute warning/10-second runoff: The requirement that the offense has to be behind in the score or the

score has to be tied for a 10-second clock runoff to be exercised against the offense for an excess timeout with two

minutes to go in the first half or in the game has been eliminated. Now a 10-second runoff will take place no matter what

the game situation. Any possible advantage for the offense (e.g., the old rule would not require a 10-second runoff if it

were ahead) has been eliminated. The defense has the option to decline a 10-second runoff (which will give it more time

should it get the ball back).

And the call was offsides...

Offside: A player is offside when any part of his body is beyond his scrimmage or free kick line when the ball is snapped or kicked.

Obviously the player was offsides during the snap or it wouldn't have been a penalty at all.

So I'm thinking the ref was stuck in 2006, and thought he was real smart in remembering that if the team has the lead, it doesn't run 10 seconds off the clock. You'll notice he even looked up at the scoreboard. He was wrong. The rule changed 4 years ago.

I don't care if it cost the game or not, the officiating is getting worse and worse every year, for every team across the league.

edit- by the way, 'excess timeout' doesn't mean calling a timeout when you have none, it means stopping the clock via penalty whether it was intentional or not.

I think they need to simplify the rules. For starters, no more 10 second runoff. On another case today, no rule against the defense trying to advance the ball like Polomalu tried either. (the idiot could have just fallen on the ball and ended the game anyways.)

Archived