Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB position, Leadership, and the Redskins

Burgold

In my head, I have images of Joe Theismann barking out the snap count and screaming at his teammates with a strange sense of confidence that seemed to wrap around the team, but I also remember Jeff George being dragged around for several yards by defensive linemen without our olinemen coming to his rescue... Not even the refs cared. Mark Brunell, Scott to his friends, seemed to inspire belief, even though a handoff was a long range pass for the guy, but so often, Jason Campbell after being pounded into the ground after waiting as long as he could to pass the ball was not helped up by his team.

We've had qbs of every level, skill set, and degree of physical prowess on this team in the last couple of decades. Everything from Superbowl winners like Johnson and Gannon to 98 lbers like Danny Wuerfal, but did we have many leaders? Did we have the guy who really could rally and inspire his team?

More, just how important is that intangible? Is that what separates a Drew Brees from a John Beck or Mark Brunnell? Is that what differentiates a Jeff George from a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning?

So far, I like how Beck talks, but is he a leader? How does a qb become a leader or is it inborn? Is it about wins and shared experience or something innate and burning under the eyes?

If we plan to draft a qb next year, I hope we interview a bunch of his teammates to try to get at that because it seems to me that the measurables don't measure everything.

---------- Post added October-30th-2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

Hmmm... this be not the Stadium. I have been led astray by myself.

Time will tell for John Beck. Regarding our past leaders, I don't think that we've had a true field general since Theismann. Perhaps Brunnell had some of those qualities, as did Brad Johnson to a certain degree, but it has been a long time since we have had a guy (like Brees each week) who pumps up the team or who will get in the face of a player, O or D, when they screw up.

Jeff George was a bit of a conundrum. The guy really did have some undeniable talent, but because he was such a tool, he was unable to fit in with any NFL team. Kind of a shame, actually.

Why is this here? :D

Is Burgold looking for an NNT? ;)

My God, who would start all his threads? :ols:

Well, I've been hitting the weights again, so I'll do the heavy lifitng and move it for you, goofy. :)

I have a couple of disciples. They could fill in for a little while... though I'm not sure if they are ready for such an onerous responsibility.

"Leadership" is that quality imagined by the fans and media to exaggerate the abilities of a quarterback who, because of great support, wins more games than his forward passing ability can explain. Here's an example:

In my head, I have images of Joe Theismann barking out the snap count and screaming at his teammates with a strange sense of confidence that seemed to wrap around the team...

"Leadership" is that quality imagined by the fans and media to exaggerate the abilities of a quarterback who, because of great support, wins more games than his forward passing ability can explain. Here's an example:

You've never noticed a difference in the work atmosphere depending on the boss. I certainly have. I've been in jobs with a good boss and it is inevitably a better place to work even when things are stressful or going wrong. Conversely, I once had a fantastic job with a horrible, evil boss... after six months I wanted out despite the work itself being fantastic.

You've never noticed a difference in the work atmosphere depending on the boss. I certainly have. I've been in jobs with a good boss and it is inevitably a better place to work even when things are stressful or going wrong. Conversely, I once had a fantastic job with a horrible, evil boss... after six months I wanted out despite the work itself being fantastic.
That's a false analogy. The fact is that you have no idea whether Theisman had leadership qualities or not.

I only recall that the word was that, in the George Allen era, Joe was thought of by his teammates as a loudmouth who thought he was a whole lot better than he really was.

Sure I do, Seymore (little shop reference)

I've read tons of interviews from his peers about him in and out of the huddle and in game situations. I've also heard the loudmouth stuff too.

Have you really read tons? Now, how did I miss those?

How does a qb become a leader or is it inborn? Is it about wins and shared experience or something innate and burning under the eyes?

Definitely born with it.. And I dont think it's that hard to spot.. You know it when you see it.. Just look at Tebow.. Minimal skills, but heart of a lion and leadership oozing from the pores.. For whatever reason, that attitude and confidence is infectious.. That was one of my bigger gripes about Campbell, he just looked lost when you looked in his eyes..

Beck has it. He's been talking it right from the off season according to team mates/what we've read and heard. That keep positive rah rah rah, just needs to walk it for 4 or 5 games and everyone will focus on him. Very different from the outside looking in to Rex, McNabb, JC. In a good way....

Got to produce though to give the other players something to bank for when he's calling for x, y or z. I agree though whoever our QB is needs to be a positive leader of our team that can inspire those around him as well as all the QB specific stuff.

I think Beck has a good attitude, but I think he's a bit naive about how effective he is ready to be, mostly due to lack of experience. Fighting through some tough situations and putting the offense on his back and carrying them to some success will go a long way to becoming a real leader. If he gets in tough spots and looks lost or just goes into a shell, all his talk will have just been a bunch of noise.

In my head, I have images of Joe Theismann barking out the snap count and screaming at his teammates with a strange sense of confidence that seemed to wrap around the team, but I also remember Jeff George being dragged around for several yards by defensive linemen without our olinemen coming to his rescue... Not even the refs cared. Mark Brunell, Scott to his friends, seemed to inspire belief, even though a handoff was a long range pass for the guy, but so often, Jason Campbell after being pounded into the ground after waiting as long as he could to pass the ball was not helped up by his team.

We've had qbs of every level, skill set, and degree of physical prowess on this team in the last couple of decades. Everything from Superbowl winners like Johnson and Gannon to 98 lbers like Danny Wuerfal, but did we have many leaders? Did we have the guy who really could rally and inspire his team?

More, just how important is that intangible? Is that what separates a Drew Brees from a John Beck or Mark Brunnell? Is that what differentiates a Jeff George from a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning?

So far, I like how Beck talks, but is he a leader? How does a qb become a leader or is it inborn? Is it about wins and shared experience or something innate and burning under the eyes?

If we plan to draft a qb next year, I hope we interview a bunch of his teammates to try to get at that because it seems to me that the measurables don't measure everything.

---------- Post added October-30th-2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

Hmmm... this be not the Stadium. I have been led astray by myself.

Burgold it's evident. How many of you still remeber Jeff George getting dragged on the turf? I was upset about it this morning "I swear"...That's how bad and how long we've been missing that one element.

But now Shanny has wasted 2 years and we still stuck in the mud.

Archived