Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking to build a Gaming Rig

iXiBrianiXi

But I don't really know too much about all of this so I'm attempting to do research and honestly...its like reading a foreign language at the moment. What I'm looking to make is a Gaming/multimedia Computer to pair with what is basically my School/Work iMac. Something that I can play my games, possibly import some work from like Autocad, Photoshop, and Final Cut.

So I've got 3 avenues I'm mulling over. The first one is to just flat out buy one of those premade Rigs that are already out there. One I've really been eyeing is the following.

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/cyberpower/cyperpower-pc-black-pearl-details.html

The second, and probably the one I'm really on here asking about, is completely building my own rig. I've got some basic ideas from a variety of websites but I'm not entirely sure A. Everything I need and B. The difference between the hardware. I cannot find a solid website to really help compare and contrast the different parts and what'll give me the most bang for my buck. And that's before assembly.

The last one I'm really debating over is I've got this really old Dell upstairs that's just sitting collecting dust. Debating gutting it, keep what I can, and just building off that however it's an old Computer. I wanna say 04 maybe? I've been told I'd be better off just buying a cheaper/newer computer and adding some things to it from there.

At the end of the day what I'm trying to find the more cost efficient way to build a new Rig that'll last me for quite a few years and the ability to upgrade it as needed which my iMac does not give me.

If you're going for an almost pure gaming rig, its almost all about the video card. Not including monitor, you can spend anywhere from $700 - $4000, with diminishing returns the higher you spend. Its much better to go with a high-end card then a high-end CPU/RAM/mobo combination. And you can get away with a mid-range card and low-end CPU/RAM if you want. Don't buy a really cheap motherboard though - it's the backbone of your system.

If you feel your time is not worth saving a few hundred bucks, Dell makes some decent gaming rigs.

Don't build off the old Dell, I wouldn't consider than an even remotely viable option if you're aiming to build a gaming rig. The first thing you have to ask yourself is how much effort are you willing to put in to this. Building your own rig is a pretty straightforward process and is usually one of the more cost effective options but there's a learning curve involved your first time. If you're not terribly computer or hardware literate or aren't a natural DIYer then you will very likely be better off going with a completed system.

If you build yourself you need:

1. Processor (always your starting point)

2. Motherboard (must be compatible with processor)

3. Memory (must be compatible with motherboard)

4. Video card

5. Hard drive(s)

6. Optical drive(s) (DVD-R/RW or Blu-ray)

7. Power supply (needs to have enough juice to run everything)

8. Case (must be capable of housing everything and have the right form factor for your motherboard)

9. External items: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers

10. Optional Items: Sound card (likely already integrated in the motherboard), WiFi card (possibly integrated in the motherboard)

Well, they've got sites for computer illiterates like myself like Cyber-power PC but some of its terminology is different and it's always throwing me off. I've built a machine, and with Monitor/keyboard/mouse included it totaled out to 1115 so how does this look to you Computer Enthusiasts. I'm just not sure if its superior to the Pearl.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CFGAPU/

Well, they've got sites for computer illiterates like myself like Cyber-power PC but some of its terminology is different and it's always throwing me off. I've built a machine, and with Monitor/keyboard/mouse included it totaled out to 1115 so how does this look to you Computer Enthusiasts. I'm just not sure if its superior to the Pearl.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CFGAPU/

By the sound of it you may actually have no intention to do a build yourself. If you aren't putting the parts in yourself, you aren't actually building anything :)

I don't know too much about CyberPowerPC but I'd probably steer clear of them for a couple of reasons. Site layouts and terminology can say a lot about a business and theirs would strongly suggest an almost ADD quality that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. A quick Google search confirms that they are at least a legitimate business but also more or less backs up my impression of them as perhaps not the most reliable company to go with.

Two recommendations for you to look at:

1) Tomshardware.com System Builder articles. These build out a $500, $1000, and $2000 gaming PC (excluding keyboard/mouse and monitor).

A link to their system guides is here. You scroll down and you can see the System Builder articles from September 2011.

2) TechReport.com buyers guides:

Link is here. This article was written quite recently.

I would generally favor building your own; for instance the part you linked to has a RaidMax power supply.... although it does appear comparable to the $1500 PC from TechReport. I'm generally a lower-end type of person, so I can't talk about how performance compares with some of the higher end parts.

Archived