Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jammal Brown: Massive Free Agent/Trade Bust

Sawyer5500

Jammal Brown has been atrocious this year. I was shocked when the skins re-signed him after last season but all i heard was that "he played better as the year went on as he finally got over his hip injury." Ok i thought, i gave him a pass.

So far this season he has been horrifically bad for a right tackle. I will go as far to say that he is the weak link on our entire offensive line even without Trent starting. He is painful to watch. Every time i go back and watch games he is in there sucking it up.

According to one of my favorite websites (Pro Football Focus), Jammal Brown has given up 5 sacks, 4 QB hits, and 11 QB pressures. And also according to the same website he has been beyond terrible in run blocking.

I would not be surprised in the least if he is benched soon for the undrafted rookie Willie Smith. And I am almost certain that Brown will be released at the end of the year. When Trent comes back i think its a real possibility that Brown will be benched for Locklear. Locklear played very well against the Panthers at left tackle and he is more comfortable on the right side.

UPDATES

1. Jammal Brown update: Brown during the Bills game:

2 sacks allowed, 3 QB pressures given up according to Pro Football Focus. Brown is now tied for 2nd most sacks allowed by a tackle in the league with 7 allowed on the year so far.

2. Jammal Brown Update 2: Brown During the 49ers game:

Brown only played 23 snaps before he left due to injury but in that limited playing time he still managed to give up 2 QB pressures.

3. Jammal Brown Update 3: Brown during the Cowboys game:

1 sack, 5 QB pressures allowed.

Brown has now allowed 8 sacks, 4 QB hits, and 21 QB pressures in only 9 games.

I mean, we needed a RT. Everyone was screaming for Harris, but he went to the Eagles for peanuts, and it turns out he was pretty seriously injured.

Brown wasn't ideal, but he was what was available, and he knew our scheme.

All of this is about FA, which is separate from the original trade, which looking back I wouldn't have done. But to me, it was part of the McNabb trade. If we were going to make a win-now move back then and bring in Mcnabb, we needed a bandaid at RT. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. But I think if the McNabb trade didn't happen, this one doesn't either.

So we need to just look at those two win-now trades as a pair, as sunk costs, and recognize that they were failures, and avoid that in the future.

I CAN see why we brought him back this year though in FA, even if he isn't performing.

Agree with ConnSkins. The FA market was very light at RT. That said, I am very pleasantly surprised by our other OT free agent acquisition in Locklear. He's a good backup. I don't think we can shove a UDFA in Willie Smith into the starting role at RT. He was UDFA for a reason, he needs extra time to adjust and develop for the NFL game.

Was Brown who we thought he was? Nope. Would I still resign him? Yep. I'm assuming we resigned him to a contract that's favorable to us, incentives, little cap hit, etc.

I don't know if he is any worse than any other tackle we have on our roster. If Smith was good enough he would be out there instead of Brown. It seems that people on this board want to pick out a player they feel is the weak link when the team is sharing it equally. As usual, every year we have a few guys playing lights out, getting hurt and being singled out and they change from player to player. Last year it was Casey Raubach and this year it has been Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown. Last year it was McNabb and this year it has been Grossman. So with all the finger pointing and placing blame of why this team isn't winning just makes me wonder if any of you think we have any good talent on here. I guess there are a lot of unemployed scouts and GM's on this board. Maybe you all need to put your resumes in with the Redkins for the office of GM and team scout because obviously Allen and the other guys evaluating talent need to be replaced by the better skilled evaluators on Extreme Skins.

I don't know if he is any worse than any other tackle we have on our roster. If Smith was good enough he would be out there instead of Brown. It seems that people on this board want to pick out a player they feel is the weak link when the team is sharing it equally. As usual, every year we have a few guys playing lights out, getting hurt and being singled out and they change from player to player. Last year it was Casey Raubach and this year it has been Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown. Last year it was McNabb and this year it has been Grossman. So with all the finger pointing and placing blame of why this team isn't winning just makes me wonder if any of you think we have any good talent on here. I guess there are a lot of unemployed scouts and GM's on this board. Maybe you all need to put your resumes in with the Redkins for the office of GM and team scout because obviously Allen and the other guys evaluating talent need to be replaced by the better skilled evaluators on Extreme Skins.

Agree with you. Everyone thinks every position can be fixed in one year. If there was a magic button to do this, we would have done it already.

When Trent comes back i think its a real possibility that Brown will be benched for Locklear. Locklear played very well against the Panthers at left tackle and he is more comfortable on the right side.

You know, if Shanahan picks guys on merit & standard of play, Locklear for RT would be a close call. I've been impressed thus far.

I think its more of a case of deferring to the veteran. But at some point Brown's play is going to catch up to him. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom im just pointing out that it was not a good re-signing. He gets over $5 million a year and hes not worth that.

I think we just need to find the weakest link on every unit and upgrade it. Brown should be our first replacement on the offensive line. I also think Rocky McIntosh is the weak link on defense right now but thats a discussion for another thread.

While his play has improved somewhat from when he originally got here, it seems pretty obvious why NO traded him. He's not the player he used to be. I guess it is fortunate that we didn't give up all that much for them, but there really isn't much behind him either.

Thing is, we are yet again depending on late round/FA picks as the hope for RT. Capers was the guy last year, this year it is Smith and Hurt.

While his play has improved somewhat from when he originally got here, it seems pretty obvious why NO traded him. He's not the player he used to be. I guess it is fortunate that we didn't give up all that much for them, but there really isn't much behind him either.

Thing is, we are yet again depending on late round/FA picks as the hope for RT. Capers was the guy last year, this year it is Smith and Hurt.

Capers was our hope, but god was he awful. Moved to guard and he looked even worse. Btw Hurt is a Guard not a Tackle. Its clear we need to spend at least some mid round draft picks on the oline, but we were lacking so much talent last year that we needed to address other areas.

I don't expect Smith to pan, he was a UDFA. If he does pan out, awesome. But we still need to spend one of the 4 picks we have between rounds 3 through 5 on the oline. Backup C and RT are needed. I want an upgrade over Cook, and I want someone we can legitimately groom into replacing Brown.

Paying any attention, even with players that are not pro bowlers, to the O lin is better that ignoring it...as we have done for years. I think his best football may be behind him, but understand why we resigned him when we did. Not alot of other options there,

He looks slower, too often has penalties as a result of missing a block and trying to recover getting his hands up.

While Brown has played poorly, this trade was far from a bust. We needed a RT that could play in the ZBS b/c Heyer was not going to do it. We didn't trade a third for Brown...we traded a third for Brown and a fifth round pick (essentially Niles Paul). There was also no other tackle worth pursuing b/c Ryan Harris was injured.

For information, the Saints used the third on Martez Wilson who has three tackles on the season.

Totally agree he's been a complete bust since he's been here given what he was in NO. But there really wasn't much options out there this past off-season, and the vet. experience seemed the best bet to go with all things considered.

But to be fair to him, he's been coming off a horrific injury which screwed up his first year, and has been flipped to a RT when he was playing to a PB for the first 4 years of his career in NO. He just doesn't look anywhere near as comfortable on the right side from what I remember of those Saints games.

I'd LOVE to see both Hurt and Smith out there ( I actually could see Smith as a future starting tackle given his athleticism to go along with his size), but I doubt they do that until the season's really gone.

Hail.

To be honest, I dont think Brown was ever THAT good in New Orleans. Yes he went to the Pro-Bowl, but so often with the elite QB's, they make their O Line look alot better then they are through quick reads/release. Peyton comes to mind. In his absence, ppl are realizing just how good he made his OL look and how bad they really are. The Saints replaced Brown with a D-2 rookie LT (Bushrod from Towson), and now he is a very solid LT. If I were a betting man, I would bet that if Brees went down and Chase Daniel went in, that the OL for the Saints would also be thought of MUCH differently.

I would like to see him get a shot at LT. Sure it aint happening with Locklear in the mix, but before claiming him a "massive" bust and releasing him, or anyone with a good resume, I like to see them get a shot at their natural position.

I haven't noticed him getting abused to the point that he is a massive bust. Defensive players get paid too, no matter how good our OL are.

I don't expect Smith to pan, he was a UDFA.

I actually think Smith could be the best OT we have. Locklear has played well too. If it's feasible money/cap wise, I think Brown could be gone after the season because of Smith. Smith is a dancing bear - his feet and lateral movement are impressive. I'd like him to get a shot and go up against some top DE's; I think he was what it takes.

I actually think Smith could be the best OT we have. Locklear has played well too. If it's feasible money/cap wise, I think Brown could be gone after the season because of Smith. Smith is a dancing bear - his feet and lateral movement are impressive. I'd like him to get a shot and go up against some top DE's; I think he was what it takes.

We are always drooling over the backups we have and more than often 'hoping' that we have found a UDFA gem. This is untill they are actually asked to play. Here is a fact...both our starting LT and RT are average. Not horrible but average at their positions so they will struggle against elite DE/OLB's and will stand their own against average ones. Average talent at QB also negatively impacts them as elite QB's tend to make their O-lines look better.

You can compare our O-line to that of Eagles ( below average), Cowboys ( average) and Pittsburg ( average). I would say there is not much difference in talent level. But all those QB's tend to be mobile (or slippery in Romo sits to pee's case) and make their O-lines look much better. Heck Pittsburg won the SB with a mediocre O-line and went to another with what was considered a poor O-line.

Archived