Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need a WR? How about Bernard Berrian?

Tom [Giants fan]

Wow, im surprised there aren't ten threads in the stadium yet. Anyways, could be worth a waiver claim at the least. I think we are ok at the WR spot, but a workout never hurt anyone

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

Just worried about who would we release to pick him up... or would we just not bring up Royster?

Need a WR?

why-not-zoidberg.jpg

I don't see him being good enough to really make a difference at this point in the season. He's 30, he doesn't know the system, and even if he was replacing Gaffney or Stallworth, he'd merely be taking reps and PT away from younger guys. But I'm one of those pessimists who doesn't think this is our year and that we should start looking toward next season. I'd rather see Hank, Paul, and Austin screwing up but hopefully learning than watching another 30 year old vet drop passes and fumble at the worst times.

Need a WR?

why-not-zoidberg.jpg

I don't see him being good enough to really make a difference at this point in the season. He's 30, he doesn't know the system, and even if he was replacing Gaffney or Stallworth, he'd merely be taking reps and PT away from younger guys. But I'm one of those pessimists who doesn't think this is our year and that we should start looking toward next season. I'd rather see Hank, Paul, and Austin screwing up but hopefully learning than watching another 30 year old vet drop passes and fumble at the worst times.

I blame that fumble on the Shanahans. 49 seconds, 6-6 ballgame, you get the 2nd half kickoff. Why risk it on your own 20? Kneel on the ball and go into the lockeroom. There is a time to be agressive and a time to be conservative. Our defense had just forced a punt. Take a knee. Jabar was just trying to get more yards.

I blame that fumble on the Shanahans. 49 seconds, 6-6 ballgame, you get the 2nd half kickoff. Why risk it on your own 20? Kneel on the ball and go into the lockeroom. There is a time to be agressive and a time to be conservative. Our defense had just forced a punt. Take a knee. Jabar was just trying to get more yards.

I agree....mostly. But Gaffney is a vet. He still should have known to tuck the damn ball when he was in traffic. He may have been put in a bad situation, but he still shouldn't have screwed up like that with how long he's been around.

Berrian is the best deep threat Rex has ever played with in the NFL (in terms of starting a game). But he is overpriced at this point from what I remember. This cut is quite telling as to how bad the Bears have been on offense for years. Some QBs are so spoiled. No wonder they stick with the same team so much.

It's not as if the Vikings were loaded at receiver either. Their best receiver is a Falcons reject.

This team doesn't need to bring in any other receivers; it needs a real receivers coach to develop the young talent. Our young guys can be very, very good. I can only imagine what someone like Jerry Sullivan or Jimmy Robinson could do with Paul, Hankerson, and Austin. It would be scary.

I agree....mostly. But Gaffney is a vet. He still should have known to tuck the damn ball when he was in traffic. He may have been put in a bad situation, but he still shouldn't have screwed up like that with how long he's been around.

Sure he is a vet and shouldn't fumble, but there isn't a player that hasn't fumbled. I was at the game and he got spun around and that's when the ball came out. I had an endzone seat and a perfect view of it. Not saying it wasn't his fault, but like you said, the coaches shouldn't have put him in that situation.

I really liked Berrian. Thought he was very good back at Fresno State and in Chicago. Think he would be a better pick up right now over Owens.

How about neither?

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 11:03 AM ----------

That's absolute BS. 49 seconds left is plenty of time to get some points on the board. What you just described is coaching scared and it sounds an awful like hindsight. That's what JG 2.0 would have done not JG 1.0. It's also what got Richie Petitbon fired. It sucked that he fumbled but that is all on Gaffney. All of it. If you take a friggin knee with 49 seconds left you are essentially telling your team you don't trust them. 15 seconds maybe. 49 seconds hell no.

That's absolute BS. 49 seconds left is plenty of time to get some points on the board. What you just described is coaching scared and it sounds an awful like hindsight. That's what JG 2.0 would have done not JG 1.0. It's also what got Richie Petitbon fired. It sucked that he fumbled but that is all on Gaffney. All of it. If you take a friggin knee with 49 seconds left you are essentially telling your team you don't trust them. 15 seconds maybe. 49 seconds hell no.

I think it's up to coaches to determine whether or not the team is playing well enough to be aggressive or when to pull back. In this case, we hadn't moved the ball to well through the air, but we were running the ball good. Luckily it only cost us 3, but in hindsight, when Beck hits Fred for the TD with 5 minutes left, we would have only been down 27-20 and not 30-20. Then again, the whole score could have been different when Fred scores, but thats the difference in having to onside kick and kick away and let the defense stop them. I for one, don't like to be conservative, but in this case, it may have been warranted. The one thing that has bothered me more over the last 20 years is our inability to be aggressive with a lead, like the Rams game. We usually go more conservative and make the games closer than they really should be or lose them.

Archived