Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Does Anybody Actually Believe Shanny Would Tank A Season?

Crazy Levi

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The only way a coach "tanks" a season is when he knows his job is already in ruins and the higher ups are looking for the next replacement, and thats not even on purpose, they just probably dont care... thats not the case here anymore ( i hope )

Like when the Raiders coach attempted a 70 yard field go to spite Al Davis a couple years back?

They wont intentionally.

but the team he is fielding easily could tank the season just with their lack of talent, bad play, coaching, turnovers and any number of other reasons.

Then again, maybe that is his plan (to tank it)... then I would feel better about the crappy team he has put together with his ultimate power.

I voted no. No Shanny and Co. would never tank the season. Now if Cardwell was our coach and not the Colts then we'd indeed be doing exactly what the Colts are doing. Tanking the season. Some say its draft tampering and i agree but trust me nothing will happen to the Colts. If it was us, yeah. Them no. So they get the last 2 Peyton Mannings to come out in recent history and they go on to be competitive for the foreseeable future. Cardwell gets "comeback team of the year" honors or something like that after next season when they come out swinging.

First, I honestly believe the Colts are tanking. They don't even try, and no one in the front office or coaching ranks seems the least bit concerned. Yes, they're missing Peyton, but they should not be this horrific.

Second, I can't see Shanahan doing this. We are rebuilding almost every aspect of our roster and trying to instill a culture of winning and accountability, and not trying to win games would seriously undermine that goal. Now, if it's week 17 and we're one loss away from the top spot in the draft somehow, do I think Shanahan might pull the starters early? ... that sort of thing? Yes. I think most teams would, actually. It isn't good for the game, but the prospect of landing Luck is too tantalizing.

It might appear like he's tanking the season... but it's not on purpose. They're just a bad team.

Not on purpose?

Like having Beck as the QB? Like IR'ing a leader over a messed up hand?

I don't know. I think any rational human being should know this team isn't ready to contend and the draft is top heavy.

You can't tank by not executing. You can tank by poor scheme design, IRing players, playing young kids, etc...

I cannot imagine a coach doing that with even a shred of pride.

Now just to comment on what others are saying about the Skins:

Being untalented and not playing to your potential are two different things. I would say much of what we see with this team is the latter. You have to use your head and be disciplined in the NFL. It is not all about instinct and athletic ability. Repeatedly making errors, sloppy play, missed tackles, not catching passes as we have seen from the Skins has more to do with not playing to potential, mental errors. not a lack of talent.

I think the next few games will be interesting. It is an opportunity for a nice long career in the NFL for a lot of these guys. My predictions? Austin will do very well. Armstrong will be the go to TE as Witten is on the Pukes. Still think Helu will be the starter at RB when the dust settles. Our Defense has to get that damn energy back that we literally saw in the first few games. And they have to take risks. Carolina was the most conservative D calls I have seen all year. Try and lose but don't endeavor to try. If they get back to that we should be O.K. on the D. The NFC east is wide open and we have just as much of an opportunity as any of them.

Shanahan indirectly did last season by seeing what the team could do before making changes. This season, despite the 3-0 start, the team isn't there yet.

Ryan Kerrigan put the dagger against the Giants with the tipped pass with Grossman playing error free

Arizona...................another come from behind win with Grossman basically gave it all he had for the rest of the season with the pass to Moss.

Dallas........offense didn't take advantage of the Cowboys screw ups.

St. Louis....ugly game, Rex hints at Beck's debut with Redskins

Bye and Philadelphia I guess Rex didn't bother to work on his mistakes from previous weeks as he would go on and have such an awful game and benched.

I don't think Shanahan is trying to tank the season, the reality is this...the Redskins are a mediocre team and it's going to take a little longer to get this team where it needs to be.

I don't think that anybody would tell a locker room full of players not to play to draft a kid out of college. I am sure that goes over very well with Fletcher, Cofield Etc.. Besides playing hard in football also means protecting yourself. I would not play to suck ever. Can't believe this for a second. I don't believe that any team is really doing this

Archived