Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about Chiropractors?

Elessar78

Do you feel they help?

I know a few people who have had to get surgery stemming from a bad chiropractor. While my extended family and I have been going to one for years and no problems and has been a lot of help. My coworker goes to one after another because none can seem to help him. I also know a few people who are constantly going because they are never healed.

Just looking for a broader perspective.

For very, very limited things, they can serve a purpose. But a qualified massage therapist can do almost everything they do, and more safely.

Unfortunately, much of the time chiropractors are witch doctor rip-off artists (who couldn't get into med school).

I visit one maybe 4 times a year for a routine adjustment from a lower back injury. I know the adjustments help because I can tell when I need one and feel much better immediately and then for several weeks after.

I would avoid any that tell you that you need weekly visits seemingly unendlingy or one that tells you that most all of your ailments stem being misaligned. I would compare a good one to a good physical therapist.

I herniated a disc in my lower back that then pinched my sciatic nerve causing tremendous pain. My Orthopedist put me anti-inflammatory pills which never did a damn thing and advised me to avoid surgery if at all possible and said to avoid activities that could cause pain (like anything active). I was miserable and while I would take the anti-inflammatory pills I wouldn't take any stronger pain medication because chronic pain = high risk addiction IMO. I thought chiropractors were quacks and refuse to see them.

After six months I was able to get around normally but sports and real workouts were out of the question. I gained a bunch of weight which made things worse on my back. I finally decided to go see a chiropractor at my sisters insistence. At first I was there twice a week and that lasted for about 5 weeks. Wasn't cheap at 50 bucks a visit but the difference in pain was tremendous but not long lasting which is why I was there so often. Allow me to note that this wasn't the chiropractors idea to take my money, after treatment I felt relatively pain free for a few days which was unbelievable after being in constant pain for so long. My back started to improve and the visits became far less frequent. Twice a month and then once a month. During that period of time I was able to play sports and work out again.

Now I play basketball 3 times a week and work out 5 times a week. I see my chiropractor once every three months and sometimes less. He did what the drugs and anything short of surgery failed to do. Instead of telling me to avoid activity he said "let's get you moving again" and gave me all sorts of things I could do I home that worked to reduce the stress on my back. Changed everything for me.

The thing is you have to find a good one and you have to keep in mind what they do well and what they don't. For my injury they were absolutely fantastic.

Some of their techniques used work very well in limited cases, much like a massage therapist, as Predicto said.

But I've yet to see one that didn't offer completely silly treatments too, ranging from crystals to other ludicrous ideas that involve technology emitting magical healing waves. My wife was diagnosed with multiple allergies based on her reaction to something inside a sealed glass bottle. :ols:

It seems that one of the reasons they thrive is because most general medical practitioners aren't interested in helping people with injuries that don't require surgery or pharmaceuticals.

http://www.chirobase.org/

Some of their techniques used work very well in limited cases, much like a massage therapist, as Predicto said.

But I've yet to see one that didn't offer completely silly treatments too, ranging from crystals to other ludicrous ideas that involve technology emitting magical healing waves. My wife was diagnosed with multiple allergies based on her reaction to something inside a sealed glass bottle. :ols:

It seems that one of the reasons they thrive is because most general medical practitioners aren't interested in helping people with injuries that don't require surgery or pharmaceuticals.

http://www.chirobase.org/

I thought the TENS treatment thing (electricity thing that makes your muscles jump) was a silly treatment until I tried it. That thing is pure greatness. It gave me far more pain relief than the pills and it only took 10 minutes. I guess the muscles in my lower back were freezing up on me and that machine would get them to unlock. You could feel them unlocking and it hurt for a second and then you were good.

I do agree on the crazy treatments however. I haven't run into crystal (lol) but one wanted to shine lasers on my back. That is ridiculous.

BTW - no they do not offer the same things as a massage therapist. I went to those and it did absolutely nothing for me. If you have muscle soreness they are great, spine issues however... well like I said it did nothing for me.

I 've been fighting back pain for 25 years and recently went to a chiropractor for the first time. I went 3 times, he made my back feel good which lasted about 15 minutes each time and then went back to hurting each time. I didnt really want to pay $20 each time for 15 minutes of relief.

I have varying levels of pain about 30% severe and the other 70% of the time its regular pain... it pretty much effects everything I do.

I can see why people go those guys but I didnt think it was for me.

Wish I could trade in my back for a new one.

BTW - no they do not offer the same things as a massage therapist. I went to those and it did absolutely nothing for me. If you have muscle soreness they are great, spine issues however... well like I said it did nothing for me.

Just like chiropractors, there are good massage therapists and there are lousy ones. Spine issues generally result from your muscles pulling the vertibrae out of alignment. A good therapist can fix that. A bad therapist just rubs your back (and charges extra for a happy ending).

I thought the TENS treatment thing (electricity thing that makes your muscles jump) was a silly treatment until I tried it. That thing is pure greatness. It gave me far more pain relief than the pills and it only took 10 minutes. I guess the muscles in my lower back were freezing up on me and that machine would get them to unlock. You could feel them unlocking and it hurt for a second and then you were good.

I do agree on the crazy treatments however. I haven't run into crystal (lol) but one wanted to shine lasers on my back. That is ridiculous.

I bought my own TENS machine. I love it.

I've had back problems for like 8 years now, IMO physical therapists are great, Chriopractors are bull****.

Just like chiropractors, there are good massage therapists and there are lousy ones. Spine issues generally result from your muscles pulling the vertibrae out of alignment. A good therapist can fix that. A bad therapist just rubs your back (and charges extra for a happy ending).

I know exactly what you are saying but they massage therapists don't align your spine. They just work on the muscles themselves so when you have a herniated disc the pressure relief they offer you (with or without a happy ending) is useless. I'm not saying they don't have their place but they don't offer the same expertise or ability to deal with spine injury that a physical therapist or a chiropractor do.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 04:19 PM ----------

I bought my own TENS machine. I love it.

I've had back problems for like 8 years now, IMO physical therapists are great, Chriopractors are bull****.

I bought one too... awesome device. PT and chiropractors argue back and forth all the time. Try having lunch with one of each and you'll see what I mean. Either works, the point being they have to be good at what they do.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 04:20 PM ----------

TENS works. My wife used if for pain relief during her first pregnancy. But TENS is not a chiropractic invention.

I know it's not a chiropractic invention... if it was I wouldn't go near it. lol I don't trust them to engineer electrical devices. :)

I think they have some specific areas that they are great.

I think the overall spiel that I needs to go and pay someone to align me correctly once a week to ensure overall health is a total scam.

Couldn't agree more. I have met quite a few chiropractors and still go to one once a month. According to them they can cure cancer by realigning your spine... I continue to go because it gives me relief from some back pain and in all honesty even if there is only a tiny benefit from it I want it. I have seen x-rays of my back before and after my surgery and even I could see my spine was going three different directions along its length. On my last X-rays (after a year of adjustments and physio) I was much improved and in much better health.

It's the same reason I max out the physiotherapy alotment from my company's insurance provider. None of us are ever at 100% physically, so anything I can do to get close to being completely healthy I will do.

I visit one maybe 4 times a year for a routine adjustment from a lower back injury. I know the adjustments help because I can tell when I need one and feel much better immediately and then for several weeks after.

I would avoid any that tell you that you need weekly visits seemingly unendlingy or one that tells you that most all of your ailments stem being misaligned. I would compare a good one to a good physical therapist.

I go once a month for a "tune up." It's really help with my lower back fatigue. It depends on how bad your back is and how it responds to the chiropractic treatment. And yes, once a week is too much. They've come out with the decompression machine (I've never used it) so I don't know how effective it is. My chiropractor also treats my TMJ and my jaw has been great ever since.

My husband and other wrestlers I know LOVE chiropractors...

On the other hand, I grew up in a house where my dad, who is an orthopedic surgeon, openly expressed his disdain for chiropractors. I probably will never go to one due to the stories I've heard from my dad who's had to fix patients' injuries they received from chiropractors. If I'm having muscle and/or joint pain, I prefer massage and/or physical therapists.

I 've been fighting back pain for 25 years and recently went to a chiropractor for the first time. I went 3 times, he made my back feel good which lasted about 15 minutes each time and then went back to hurting each time. I didnt really want to pay $20 each time for 15 minutes of relief.

I have varying levels of pain about 30% severe and the other 70% of the time its regular pain... it pretty much effects everything I do.

I can see why people go those guys but I didnt think it was for me.

Wish I could trade in my back for a new one.

Try to go back every week for a couple of months, at first, it takes some time for the pain relief to set in a more permanent basis. I had 3 motorcycle accidents in HS, and can barely live without seeing a chiropractor. I have severe neck and back pain, sinus issues & chronic headaches if I don't see one regularly, but by regularly, I mean just once a month or once every two months. If I haven't seen one in a while, it takes trips several weeks straight before the pain is gone & then I just have to maintain it.

From a first-person experience only perspective, the problem with the vast majority of the chiropractors is that they are a) not very good at what they do and B) complete whackjobs. Through visiting chiropractors, I've met some really weird people. If they don't talk to you like a normal human being, my advice would be to keep trying & find someone else.

If one exercises correctly and on a regular basis one does not need a chiro. Example: There has been pain in my right foot in middle of the arch for a long time... so I just ran bare foot on the treadmil for couple of days.. foot back to normal. Figured we were born without shoes so let's run without them and see what happens naturally. :)

Archived