Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who becomes the redskins new "play maker" at WR and RB

Daaskins

LOL!!! This thread is classic Homerism at its best. Next play maker??? We haven't had a play maker since Moss in 04 or Portis 05. Some of the young guys on our roster have the ability to be avg.-good players at best but I don't see pro-bowl game changers any where on the depth chart at the WR/RB position. Hell Landry is the only player that comes close to being a true play maker.

we have no playmakers.

we better get some in the next draft and in FA cause our offense needs help.

I think Davis is a playmaker at TE and we need to extend him. Your point stands though and I'm sure that after we focused on defense last offseason the focus will be on offense next offseason.

As a few other posters have mentioned at this point we really don't have a playmaker on this roster. Shanhan inherited such a poor team that resources had to be focused on solidfying the lines and the defensive side of the ball. On defense we've actually been able to gain some playmakers, namely OJ Atogwe and Ryan Kerrigan.

We didn't have the luxury of spending premium picks on skill positions this season. 2010/11 were about building a foundation to grow from. I would expect the 2012 draft/FA period to be just about the opposite of our approach from this season. Most likely we'll see high draft picks going towards offensive positions and possibly a LB with some of the later picks searching for projects and special teamers.

All of that being said I think Hankerson has the best chance of becoming a playmaker if he can earn some playing time. He's had drop issues but he also probably has the most to offer. He seems to be somewhat of a boom or bust type player. Possibly like a Dwayne Bowe or TO. He'll drop the easy ones but make enough plays to be worth it. Hopefully.

sooo OP should probably rename this from new "playmaker" to "next redskins to make some plays"... I'm not too terribly excited about the receiving corp aside from TE freddy D. Everyone else was dropping passes left and right... change in QB has effect maybe?

Our backs are decently good to servicable... we don't have a home-run hitter in the backfield or yet to be seen from helu who supposedly is one.

I am excited the fact that we are forced to throw the newbies into the fire. So at least for one more week we have something to look forward to whether we win or lose this weekend vs buffalo.

I don't know about playmaker. We have some solid young pieces that can fill out some pretty good rosters around the league. I like Austin. Paul and Hankerson will get a shot. I really like Helu.

Aside from Helu, I don't see a size/speed guy that I'd guess might become a playmaker. If some of these guys turn out to he good players, great. And yes, someone bring us Bowe.

Hankerson has an opportunity to be a playmaker. I wanna see what he's got. And Helu should get more carries.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 09:54 PM ----------

Niles Paul is very similar in stature to Gaffney, except more upside now.... Austin seems to be getting it also, won't be surprised if it's Paul, Austin instead of AA, Gaffney

We don't know yet, and that's what's awesome.

Won't it be nice to have actual homegrown talent instead of chasing everyone else's players around? Did we forget how many draft picks we signed already?

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 10:16 PM ----------

Dwayne Bowe, next year.

However, I am ok with dis

The excitement for Armstrong has always seemed odd to me. I honestly don't believe that he significantly improves the offense by being on the field. Sure, he has speed....but it's hardly the case that defensive coordinators have to spend any more than 5 minutes thinking about him. He also seems to lack body control, though that has improved a bit since last season. With Hankerson, Paul, and Austin we have 3 young wideouts who, with the proper tutelage, can be difference makers in this league. I'm not at all convinced that Keenan McCardell is the one to provide that tutelage, but I hope I'm wrong on that.

Was somewhat surprised to see that Royster is staying on the PS and we're gonna go with 2 RB's, but I guess with the pile of injuries we have, signing TE and OL depth was probably the right way to go.

I know there's some that don't think so, but I'd consider Davis a potential play maker. Resigning him, especially after seeing his and Cooley's production this year, should be one of the top priorities this offseason.

And for the record, you can also put me in the "Bowe 2012" camp :D

Look at the other NFCE teams and you will see what "playmakers " look like at these positions: Austin, Maclin, Nicks, Bradshaw, McCoy and Choice and even Desean and Bryant ( maybe..?). Actual Probowlers and soon to be perennial Pro Bowlers. Fact.

Except it - your drafting in this area has not been good the last 5 years. Unless you want to argue that Hankerson or Helu MIGHT be good someday... but if they were they would already be producing much like Dez is and Cruz for the Gints. But FA will be good for you in the next 2 years I am sure...

First of all, I have no clue why you included Tashard Choice in your list of pro bowlers. Hightower, Torain, or Helu will **** on his production any day. It is also not fair to compare Dez Bryant to Leonard Hankerson-first rounder to a third? And Cruz has had some good moments, but he isn't all that! GIVE ME A BREAK!

The only playmaker we have is Armstrong, who is pretty overrated amongst Redskins faithful in my opinion, underrated league wise though. Fred Davis is basically who we throw to 2/3 of the time, our running backs aren't really explosive, besides potentially Helu but we haven't seen anything to justify that. Gaffney is definently not explosive, Terrence Austin could be and I think he will be. Hankerson is probably the closest thing to a playmaker we have, our offense is pretty pathetic. I've said it before in threads, we need to draft a complete playmaker, it's a bigger hole than ILB in my opinion and 2nd only to QB.

Others have said Dwayne Bowe which would be pretty nice, maybe draft LaMichael James or something in the draft. An Alshon, Blackmon, or even a Floyd would be really nice but we all know where this 1st round pick is going.

tl;dr Redskins have no playmakers and need one soon

Archived