Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BI: Wisconsin Town Wants To Make Biking And Walking A Crime

China

Wisconsin Town Wants To Make Biking And Walking A Crime

Public officials in the sleepy town of Hull, Wisconsin are considering a plan that bans bicyclists and pedestrians from town roads or requires them to register travel plans in advance, in response to a "growing problem with road safety," reports Stevens Points Journal (via Grist).

Cyclist advocates have been quick to criticize the proposed ordinance, which they say violates state laws that assign the same rules of the road to motorists as bikers.

While it turns out the town of Hull hasn't had a crash involving a bike or pedestrian since 2008, the community's chairman contends that bikers and runners take up too much of the road, leading to a rash of complaints from irritated drivers.

sound's like its in response to those that I call "Biking douches".

They are the cyclists who act as if their bike is a car and ride in the middle of the lane holding up all the traffic behind them. All this while wearing those ultra stylish bike shorts, skin tight biking shirt with 75 different "sponsors" on it and the uber groovy horizontal cone helmet (with the little rear view mirror extended off the side of it)

I was actually held behind one of these jokers for 3 miles yesterday during an already horrible 1.5 hr commute.

Yes, I know that legally, a cyclist has the same right to the road as autos, but legal isnt always rational.

off my soap box!

not very informative article....are they having trouble with groups or just individuals?

cyclist like to to talk of same rules....except when they ignore them

put some minimum speed laws in effect346.59

346.59 Minimum speed regulation.

346.59(1)

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a speed so slow as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or is necessary to comply with the law.

346.59(2)

(2) The operator of a vehicle moving at a speed so slow as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic shall, if practicable, yield the roadway to an overtaking vehicle whenever the operator of the overtaking vehicle gives audible warning with a warning device and shall move at a reasonably increased speed or yield the roadway to overtaking vehicles when directed to do so by a traffic officer.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/wisconsin/wi-laws/wisconsin_laws_346-59

add

they already have them

I'm in a rural part of Virginia and I find that most cyclists on the main roads do a good job of staying far right and not slowing traffic any more than necessary, but when they pedal the backroads with all those blind curves and hills there is just no way to not endanger them. What do you do when you are driving the speed limit and round a curve to find a bike in your lane and huge truck in the oncoming lane and the cyclist is too oblivious to move as far right as possible? **** myself and flatspotted all four tires in a panic brake is what I did.

not very informative article....are they having trouble with groups or just individuals?

put some minimum speed laws in effect

From the wording of the proposed ordinance it sounds like groups:

" formal notification system which provides contact with known groups who walk, run or bike in the Town of Hull. .. Groups operating on Hull roads shall be required to have a permit based on an application which details travel plans (time, date, roads used, and numbers) prior to operating on Hull roads. "

Here's more:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/236409-US-Hull-Wisconsin-Seeks-to-Outlaw-Bicyclists-and-Pedestrians

http://cyclingnewengland.blogspot.com/2011/10/hull-wisconsin-would-ban-groups-walking.html

put some minimum speed laws in effect346.59

346.59 Minimum speed regulation.

346.59(1)

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a speed so slow as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or is necessary to comply with the law.

Fail.

Not every law concerning cars is applicable to bikes.

Agreed.

I actually hit a bike with my car (no injuries) a while back.

I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a right turn onto a one-way street. I sit there. Wait for an opening. Proceed.

And hit a bike that's on the sidewalk, on the wrong side of the road.

Me, I'm not really sure that bikes should be treated as vehicles. I think it would be safer if they were treated as pedestrians.

But they need to pick a set of rules, and follow them.

I've said this in a thread before, but whenever I ride I stay far to the right, go on routes where I will hold up traffic the least, I don't have a line of cars pass me and then breeze past them as they stop for a red light and force them all to pass me over and over again. I stop for stop signs completely, I wait until it is clear to make any turns, and when I do they've been signaled. I do not wear the faggy tight spandex shirts and pants because I doubt it is super important to lower wind resistance on any rides under 100 miles, and I don't wear the tight stuff when I DO ride 100 miles.

I hate the thought that I'm inconveniencing somebody by riding a bicycle on the road. I hate it when I'm in a car and inconvenienced by a cyclist who is either oblivious or has a vendetta against everything with an engine in it.

I can fully understand some people wanting cyclists off the roads entirely. I know a lot of people who don't stay careful like I do and it could be a dangerous situation. I just wish there were alternatives for bikes. It doesn't really cost all that much to make useful bike paths in most smaller sized cities, but nobody really gives a crap about doing it.

Wisconsin Town Wants To Make Biking And Walking A Crime

Public officials in the sleepy town of Hull, Wisconsin are considering a plan that bans bicyclists and pedestrians from town roads or requires them to register travel plans in advance, in response to a "growing problem with road safety," reports Stevens Points Journal (via Grist).

Cyclist advocates have been quick to criticize the proposed ordinance, which they say violates state laws that assign the same rules of the road to motorists as bikers.

While it turns out the town of Hull hasn't had a crash involving a bike or pedestrian since 2008, the community's chairman contends that bikers and runners take up too much of the road, leading to a rash of complaints from irritated drivers.

Oh good - let's discourage exercise even more! It's not like America isn't full of couch-riding, TV surfing lard-butts already, driving up our health-care costs.

I hate the thought that I'm inconveniencing somebody by riding a bicycle on the road. I hate it when I'm in a car and inconvenienced by a cyclist who is either oblivious or has a vendetta against everything with an engine in it.

DC (+ gentrification + hipsters) is a ****ing nightmare with bikes now. Especially bad are the chicks who barely know how to ride a bike. Holy ****...

I'm not a bike rider but I see far more danger caused by bad vehicle driving than the presence of bikes, pedestrians, horses or other slower forms of transport on the road. Slow down and make room.

Rather than make cycling or walking illegal, they should post minimum speeds for busy highways, and provide alternate routes for slower traffic.

What do you do when you are driving the speed limit and round a curve to find a bike in your lane and huge truck in the oncoming lane and the cyclist is too oblivious to move as far right as possible? **** myself and flatspotted all four tires in a panic brake is what I did.

Driving around a blind curve at a speed where you will be unable to stop if something is in your way might be considered reckless driving. If it happens to be a police car or emergency vehicle you'll likely be incarcerated. :ols:

Driving around a blind curve at a speed where you will be unable to stop if something is in your way might be considered reckless driving. If it happens to be a police car or emergency vehicle you'll likely be incarcerated. :ols:

Ha ha!

There are posted reduced speed limit signs for the most dangerous curves and I follow them. I have yet to strike anyone or anything but there have been close calls. Emergency vehicles have lights and sirens for a reason!

There are some in place...where applicable the rules of the road for cars apply to cars. BTW, I thought the Right was about less regulation?

Less stupid regulations.......not obstructing traffic or operating in a unsafe manner are certainly applicable if you want on the roads

it is on the car driver to watch out for cyclists and pedestrians.

Even if the pedestrians and bikers are not following rules? There is only so much a person can do in a car when others are not doing what they are supposed to.

Drive for one week in DC and you will loathe cyclists and pedestrians.

Not obstructing traffic.....a bike?! Go around! BTW, it is on the car driver to watch out for cyclists and pedestrians.

why not have them move over as other slower vehicles are required to do?

Why is it not on them not to obstruct traffic?

why not have them move over as other slower vehicles are required to do?

Why is it not on them not to obstruct traffic?

I've got no problem with that, but making it a crime? Seriously...bicyclists and pedestrians from town roads or requires them to register travel plans in advance...this is what pilots do...how stupid is this!?

sound's like its in response to those that I call "Biking douches".

They are the cyclists who act as if their bike is a car and ride in the middle of the lane holding up all the traffic behind them. All this while wearing those ultra stylish bike shorts, skin tight biking shirt with 75 different "sponsors" on it and the uber groovy horizontal cone helmet (with the little rear view mirror extended off the side of it)

I was actually held behind one of these jokers for 3 miles yesterday during an already horrible 1.5 hr commute.

Yes, I know that legally, a cyclist has the same right to the road as autos, but legal isnt always rational.

off my soap box!

We should probably make this a federal law.

Archived