Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

thefantasybrokers.com: "Redskins aren't so bad"

bluekswing

http://thefantasybroker.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/running-tally-week-7/#more-270

The Redskins are not as terrible as many in the Potomac River Basin may believe. Sure, they just were embarrassed by a previously 1-5 Panthers team…but Cam Newton is incredible, and that alone is enough to count for a win here and there. Pay no attention to the running back roulette Coach Mike Shanahan is so dubiously spinning. Ignore the lack of certainty at the quarterback position, and pretend the defense is able to tackle on consecutive plays. When you take a giant step back, you can see the rumblings of change in our Nations’ capitol.

Consider this: The Redskins have not had a true quarterback project since Jason Campbell. Campbell was selected immediately after the aforementioned Rodgers and proceeded to impress during his rookie campaign. Unfortunately for him (and for Hog fans nationwide) Daniel Snyder began shuffling coaches to find an immediate solution to a systemic problem. The lack of stability has proved to be the most suffocating concoction for a team that otherwise has all the makings of a real contender.

John Beck looked terrified on the field Sunday, but he should have been. The Redskins were on the road, playing a supernova rookie sensation, with an untested (and unwanted) quarterback who looked like he belonged in Pop Warner. After watching Beck yak all over the field, Christian Ponder was a revelation.

But therein lies the salvation for the Redskins. Unless the Shanahans are exiled this season, they look to be in place to secure a franchise quarterback in next year’s draft (there are more signal callers out there not named Andrew Luck). With a promising talent under center, the mercurial Grossman initially at the helm, a serviceable rushing attack, young receivers, and a defensive front that is tremendously under appreciated, Washington may finally be putting the pieces together to compete for the long haul in the NFC East. One last tidbit: Look at the aging rosters of the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys…the Redskins may be the next iteration of a perennial cellar-dweller come to roost.

Ran across this perusing the interwebs - thoughts?

Everything he says is true. He is basically saying the Redskins aren't there now (and their play shows that), but they are getting the pieces together to get there.

The glue to hold it all together is consistency. Now is not the time to be thinking or wanting major upheaval in the Redskins' FO or coaching staff.

No one should be advocating that, and I don't think Snyder has any plans to let Shanahan go.

total BS. Beck didn't look terrified, maybe Kyle was. The play calling in the first half was terrible IMO and then he had 3 drops on balls thrown perfectly and a fumble after the catch that was a killer just before the half. BTW maybe this guy writing this article can tell us if there is a receiver named Steve Smith on the Redskins team. I mean how good would the "incredible" Cam Newton be with Gaffney as his number one receiver.

total BS. Beck didn't look terrified, maybe Kyle was. The play calling in the first half was terrible IMO and then he had 3 drops on balls thrown perfectly and a fumble after the catch that was a killer just before the half. BTW maybe this guy writing this article can tell us if there is a receiver named Steve Smith on the Redskins team. I mean how good would the "incredible" Cam Newton be with Gaffney as his number one receiver.

When he says Beck looked "terrified", I don't think he meant he was actually quaking in his boots (or cletes :) ).

I think it is supposed to be a joking exaggeration of how nervous and tentative Beck looked early (which he did), but he settled down.

Year 2 of a supposed 5 year plan. Although we have improved on defense, the offense, coupled with shoddy QB play, and lack of o-line depth, looks as bad as ever. They somewhat shot themselves in the foot in Year 1 with the Haynesworth situation ( Not trading him for a 3rd when they had the opportunity to), and giving up a 2nd for McNabb, so that set us back a little.

It's going to be a long road back, and I'm willing to see it through to the end, but it's just annoying as hell when you get performances like the one on Sunday.

This write up is why I can't be down on this team right now. If you told me at the beginning of the year that through 6 games we'd be .500, I'd say that's perfectly fine. Yes it sucks that we started 2-0 and are now 3-3, but I had no expectations for this team this year. I figured a .500 would be a good season. There is still plenty of rebuilding to be done. We're not as good as people thought we were after the 2-2 start, but we aren't as bad as most are making us out to be after losing to the Panthers. Yes they were 1-5, but they've been in every single game they've played this year, they aren't a bad team.

Archived