Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yardbarker: CB Carlos Rogers a good pick-up for 49ers

skinsmania123

This is in fact his number 3 INT in 3 games. This after developing his hands of stone rep after being here for 6 years.

What a joke or is this team truly cursed? How in hell is Rogers doing this now? And he is talking a bunch of meaningless bull **** to justify why but the bottom line is he is no longer a hands of stone CB. He is now saying he is playing like he did at Auburn.

I cannot believe it.

Here is your link....http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/cb_carlos_rogers_a_good_pick_up_for_49ers/7321738

Whatever. He had numerous years to get it together. Remember Walt Harris had a pro bowl year in San Fran after we let him go? Then he fell off a cliff. Rogers is playing for a contract and doing well in another setting. Good for him. Hope he never wears our jersey again and we'll see how he does against us in a couple weeks.

IS anyone really surprised? I knew as soon as he left he was going to succeed. He was the Skins best corner and we let him walk for DeAngello Hall.

Honestly, he was a bum here. He not only dropped too many picks, but he gave up on plays, jogged after receivers. He half-hearted it here and you can tell the league felt that way too, because he didn't go in the first wave or the second wave of free agency, but in the after hours on the cheap market.

Maybe that turned his light switch on, but he was barely an average corner when playing here.

IS anyone really surprised? I knew as soon as he left he was going to succeed. He was the Skins best corner and we let him walk for DeAngello Hall.

You and i are in the minority but i agree one hundred percent. This defense is 10x better above however much they have improved with rogers still in the mix.

Honestly, he was a bum here. He not only dropped too many picks, but he gave up on plays, jogged after receivers. He half-hearted it here and you can tell the league felt that way too, because he didn't go in the first wave or the second wave of free agency, but in the after hours on the cheap market.

Maybe that turned his light switch on, but he was barely an average corner when playing here.

A bum? He was our best cover corner the last few years. Yes he couldn't catch a cold but at least he wasn't getting burnt every week. Seems like the Redskins defense could have used him this past week.

like i said in another thread, from what i've seen in san fran this year he plays A LOT of nickle. they rotate there guys, but i've seen him on the inside and i also saw him get beat when they did shift him out.

he's a good pickup, but i don't think we took a huge hit by letting him walk.

remember he was talking top 5 corner money and felt disrespected by our deal and went out and took a 1 year deal somewhere else.

like i said in another thread, from what i've seen in san fran this year he plays A LOT of nickle. they rotate there guys, but i've seen him on the inside and i also saw him get beat when they did shift him out.

he's a good pickup, but i don't think we took a huge hit by letting him walk.

remember he was talking top 5 corner money and felt disrespected by our deal and went out and took a 1 year deal somewhere else.

He is 100% our number one corner and has been playing out of his mind this year. Last week was his worst game and it was still pretty solid. Our nickle right now is Chris Culliver. He is also playing with probably the best front 7 in the league in front of him so I think that helps him out a bit.

If I remember correctly, he was being kind of a dick about money while EVERYONE else was buying into this new beginning with Shannahan. Money was more important to him than buying in, no pun intended.

So there's nothing to feel bad or cursed about. It was his problem and he went elsewhere. Didn't belong here. Wasn't gonna work.

And don't worry, he's not going to start suddenly having 10INT seasons. Let's worry about our own team and not some dick that left cause he wasn't paid enough.

What's wrong with wanting to get paid?

Technically, nothing, but it would have been nice if he would have committed to the team regardless of money. Santana did.

And again, he was being a dick about it, saying things like he should be one of the highest paid CBs in the league blah blah. Comes off as ****y, and there isn't a single Redskin who can get away with being ****y right now.

Technically, nothing, but it would have been nice if he would have committed to the team regardless of money. Santana did.

And again, he was being a dick about it, saying things like he should be one of the highest paid CBs in the league blah blah. Comes off as ****y, and there isn't a single Redskin who can get away with being ****y right now.

It would've, but since he wasn't obligated to do it, I figured he was as good as gone. I was actually floored when Santana decided to resign. Rogers wasn't a game changer, but he was definitely solid in the coverage department, and we're seeing the after-effects of it this year.

I have always been a huge Rogers fan and supporter, but I agree that his attitude was probably the biggest reason he still isn't in Washington. I would of loved a Wilson Rogers secondary, two corners who aren't afraid to tackle somebody and play physical.

I can't stand D Hall and hate seeing him getting burned time and time again. He plays the slants as good as anyone, but isn't fast enough anymore to cover speed guys downfield and isn't good enough in coverage to cover one route receivers. It's quite sad really to see D Hall 10 yards downfield after his man has already made a cut inside or outside. So maybe he has a pick 6 every once in a while, but my memory isn't as selective as some around here who love the guy.

as a Dallas fan, I was happy to see hi leave, part of me wanted Dallas to go after him. Sure he has...HAD...some bad hands, but he is a good cover corner. Jonathan Joseph was another i like better then the Big Splash FA Choice of: Awesome-Waugh
I'm happy neither signed with Dallas ;)

I wanted Carlos back but wish he'd kept his mouth shut in the off season. He priced himself out of a good paying job with visions of grandeur.

Frustrating to see him holding onto the ball but his tackling and PD were always appreciated!

I have always been a huge Rogers fan and supporter, but I agree that his attitude was probably the biggest reason he still isn't in Washington. I would of loved a Wilson Rogers secondary, two corners who aren't afraid to tackle somebody and play physical.

I can't stand D Hall and hate seeing him getting burned time and time again. He plays the slants as good as anyone, but isn't fast enough anymore to cover speed guys downfield and isn't good enough in coverage to cover one route receivers. It's quite sad really to see D Hall 10 yards downfield after his man has already made a cut inside or outside. So maybe he has a pick 6 every once in a while, but my memory isn't as selective as some around here who love the guy.

i hate dhall this year as much as the next guy, but he has improved his tackling by miles. rogers was just as guilty of doing the submarine even though he looks about twice the size of hall, but hall this year has shown good form and is 2nd on the team in tackles.

Cornerbacks who get interceptions are cornerbacks people throw at.

How hard is this to understand?

Do yourself a favor if you want to ask this question of "how is he doing this?"

Go look at the top intercepting cornerbacks for the year, and then look at their team defensive rank against the pass.

In almost every year you can look at, the top intercepting corner comes from a team with one of the worst pass defenses.

It doesn't mean he's doing anything right. It just means there's a hell of a lot of passes being thrown at them.

(It's never Darelle Revis. It's never the corners you consider to be the best. Their INT numbers are often WAY low. For example, Revis had zero INT last year. Not one pick.)

Carlos has a rep for being stonehanded. Now that he's picked a few, odds are good the offensive coordinators around the NFL will be moving away from him and looking to pick elsewhere. I believe the 9ers other corner is Nate Clements, who's good enough in his own right to force balls towards Rogers.

stop asking and figure this stuff out. It's not that hard to do.

Rogers always could cover. He could never catch.

And if you want to know why players seem to leave here and get better,, how many defensive coordinators did Carlos have here?

He actually played on a defense that had TWO secondary coaches while he was here,, one for corners and one for safeties. No wonder they were never on the same page.

He played here for coaches who would line him up 12 yards off the line on a 3rd and 3... in other words, he's immediately in a position to NOT make a play the moment the ball is snapped.

When you look at how the various coaching staffs have handled this team over the last decade, it should be expected that quality players who leave here will get better. And it's not because we're snakebit or full of bad luck, it's because the coaches we've had here have not put players in position to make plays, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

It's not rocket science. This team has been dysfunctional at the most basic levels. What you're seeing are the fruits of this.

~Bang

Given that he had his FA opportunity taken from him (as did Macintosh, who had similar complaints), I can understand him being upset. I can also understand why he was upset with how the previous regime treated him.

Personally, I think we have lost a lot without him. He's probably a better cover corner than anyone we have on the roster. Josh Wilson is OK, but he's obviously isn't in the same class and he's a placeholder until someone else develops.

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

It doesn't mean he's doing anything right. It just means there's a hell of a lot of passes being thrown at them.

Well, to be fair, Rogers had his opportunities here catching ints and dropped a lot of them.

And if you want to know why players seem to leave here and get better,, how many defensive coordinators did Carlos have here?

Actually, coaching has been pretty consistent for him. He had Jim Gray for most of his time here, until last year. As for D-coordinators, Blache wasn't a huge change from Williams.

He actually played on a defense that had TWO secondary coaches while he was here,, one for corners and one for safeties. No wonder they were never on the same page.

Except that we still do have two secondary coaches. Maybe you haven't noticed?

When you look at how the various coaching staffs have handled this team over the last decade, it should be expected that quality players who leave here will get better. And it's not because we're snakebit or full of bad luck, it's because the coaches we've had here have not put players in position to make plays, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

It's not rocket science. This team has been dysfunctional at the most basic levels. What you're seeing are the fruits of this.

Rogers' hands have little to do with the dysfunction in the organization. It just a part of who he was. Course, maybe the new role of not needing to be the #1 corner takes the pressure off. But, that also has little to do with dysfunction.

I would say that damn near everyone in the league was surprised....or else he would have had "big money" contract offers from numerous teams.

What's wrong with wanting to get paid?

It was his asking price. He was convinced he was worth WAY more than his actual market price and, when the market for him proved to be extremely sparse, he ultimately was forced to settle for a cheap trial type of deal with the 9ers. In the process he said some stupid things, it was revealed that he was living beyond his means and was banking on the large contract he thought he deserved (but didn't get), and he alienated a lot of people.

Rogers wasn't any better than Hall, he just had different strengths and different weaknesses. I was more supportive of Rogers than most even last season but I can't say I'm even remotely upset that he's gone. He wasn't an amazing player, he clearly didn't buy in to the new team atmosphere, and I don't consider it good business to give a four or five year extension worth a good amount of money to a 30 year old CB who is not regarded as one of the best in the game.

Archived