Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Traffic court question (fairfax county)

Gator Bait

I got a ticket last month on I 95 for "illegal stopping on the interstate." I was planning on prepaying it today when I noticed the police officer wrote down the wrong license plate number. Does anyone know from past experience if this voids the ticket? I've heard before that if there is any incorrect information on the ticket, you can get the charge dismissed in court.

That's intriguing. In this case, a traffic lawyer may be able to help you. If he can get this thrown out, it would be well worth the couple hundred $$ in lawyer fees b/c if this get's to your insurance you could be paying as much as $40 a month for the next 3 years like I am. I guess that differs by state though.

I got a ticket last month on I 95 for "illegal stopping on the interstate." I was planning on prepaying it today when I noticed the police officer wrote down the wrong license plate number. Does anyone know from past experience if this voids the ticket? I've heard before that if there is any incorrect information on the ticket, you can get the charge dismissed in court.

Did you sign the ticket? If so, you're pretty much screwed from my experience. The judge will say that you should have pointed this out to the officer and refused to sign the ticket until it was corrected or something like that. If you didn't sign the ticket, you may have a shot of beating it.

Did you sign the ticket? If so, you're pretty much screwed from my experience. The judge will say that you should have pointed this out to the officer and refused to sign the ticket until it was corrected or something like that. If you didn't sign the ticket, you may have a shot of beating it.

I thought that all signing it meant was that you agreed to show up for court.

I thought that all signing it meant was that you agreed to show up for court.

Signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt. Although if you admit that you did it to the officer, he can say in court that you admitted to the offense. So never ever admit to anything to the officer.

that can't be right. the ticket says right on it "this signiature is not an admission of guilt", and the police officer in my experience always states this as well.

Sorry but you deserve it, going that fast in a 25 is just dumb.

Here's the thing, the speed limit is from when the road was just dirt. It was paved over two years ago, is clean all the way and they never got around to changing the speed limit. It's not a school zone or anything like that. I had just turned onto is from a road that's 50. Cop was maybe a 100 yards down. At most. I just zoned out for a second. A bunch of cars turning on the road and I was first, so it all kinda happened fast.

Signing has nothing to do guilt. It is an admission that you were at the place at that time and acknowledged the offense. The offense is against you, not your car so the license plate snafu is unlikely to bear any fruit. It certainly never hurts to go to trial, if you can afford to. If the officer does not show, you are off the hook, and you will generally get some relief from the judge.

Here's the thing, the speed limit is from when the road was just dirt. It was paved over two years ago, is clean all the way and they never got around to changing the speed limit. It's not a school zone or anything like that. I had just turned onto is from a road that's 50. Cop was maybe a 100 yards down. At most. I just zoned out for a second. A bunch of cars turning on the road and I was first, so it all kinda happened fast.

My mistake then, I'm sorry sounds like a classic speed trap then. That sounds like a BS ticket.

Is this need to go to court and hire lawyers and all that nonsense VA's way to deterring speeders? Why do they make a simple ticket such a PITA?

There is no "need to go to court and hire lawyers and all that".

If you look, you will notice that we have two motorists discussing their tickets, here. And both of then admit to being guilty. However, they think they have a chance of beating the ticket.

(Says the guy whose last ticket was for driving 59 in a 25 zone. In Fairfax County. I had come home to visit the folks, it was way out in the boonies, and back when I learned to drive that road, when I was in high school, the speed limit had been 55.).

BTW, I used to live on the only gravel road in Fairfax County. I'd herd that they'd manager to pave parts of it. (They'd been trying for decades, but the folks who lived on the road didn't want it paved, because they didn't want the road to become a short cut.) You talking about Yates Ford Road?

Do not hire a lawyer for a traffic ticket. That would be rediculous, unless its something that would affect your ability to drive (reckless, DUI)

Otherwise, just show up to court. I would say about 95% of traffic tickets get dropped down to something else or dropped all together for people who show up and explain what happend to the judge. Judges are MUCH more easy going with traffic court rather than criminal for obvious reasons. Fact is, most people just send a check and don't show up to court.

If you are interested in the technicality of a wrong license number, call a laywer who doesn't traffic court and ask. Most will tell you free of charge.

I saw it taking my car to get an oil change and just kept walking around it checking it out.

It is a nice ride. The brown in the pic is lighter than it looks in person. It almost looks black. I was on the phone with my wife and completely distracted while looking at that truck. It's pretty sweet .

I fail to see how that line of argument would be persuasive to a judge. You'd basically be admitting to the court that you were there, the cop saw you and he wrote down your car plate number incorrectly. I don't know how this type of trial works however... it's possible the cop would think that the car that got the ticket was the one with the wrong license plate, and when you questioned him on the color of the car, if he did his homework and looked up that car, he would have no idea what type of car you have.... I don't know if police remember exactly to the detail the car, nor if there is video of the stop that he could review.

So I guess you wouldn't have to testify that you were there and signed for the ticket (and that wouldn't really be evidence).

I wonder if you could pull up the records (do some type of FOIA) on the car with license plate # whose ticket you have.

Or maybe I'm over-analyzing this.

Archived