Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AJC: Falcons punch out Lions, then rip Suh for taunting Ryan

LeesburgSkinFan

How do we feel about Suh and Avril apparently taunting an injured Matt Ryan? I think it's a bit of a punk move especially since he was injured when his own offensive lineman stepped on his ankle. It wasn't like either of those guys actually hit him at that point.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/10/23/falcons-punch-out-lions-then-rip-suh-for-taunting-ryan/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

"Roddy White said, “I lost a whole lot of respect for 90 [suh] today, and also 92 [Cliff Avril], the [bleep] they were doing when Matt got hurt. That was unacceptable. … Like 92 was kicking [Ryan’s] feet, saying, ‘Get him off the field.’ We don’t do stuff like that. We don’t rally over guys when they get hurt. It was just inappropriate behavior. I mean, ‘Get the cart’? Are you serious? Come on. When you compete, you never want to see a guy get hurt.”

Hard play, agressiveness, meanness and an attitude are one thing, just plain respect is another.

Kill the guy and put him hard on the ground, but when the whistle blows help him up and keep your mouth shut.

Except the "help him up" thing. Ever see Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis or Lawrence Taylor help guys up? Be tough, don't be disrepectful as in this case and shake the guys hand after the game. But let him get up on his own or let his teamates help him up.

Except the "help him up" thing. Ever see Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis or Lawrence Taylor help guys up? Be tough, don't be disrepectful as in this case and shake the guys hand after the game. But let him get up on his own or let his teamates help him up.

I've seen LT lose his mind in a panic when Theisman's leg snapped.

But yeah, I agree. It's part of Suh's game. Don't have a problem with it. Someone needs to be an *******.

Exactly. This game is getting too PC and "wussyfied".

It's why I don't like it as much anymore, in some ways. The whole "The running game is dead," "It's a passing league" ( which is somewhat misleading) stuff, the fact that you can only hit a guy in the sternum, and even then, pray you don't get flagged/fined/suspended, the fact that there are only a certain number of padded practices allowed per season now, etc etc.

It's football, it's supposed to be violent, when you try your damndest to take that away, you eventually become a flag football league. It's getting wosre every year. Guys on offense aren't even threatened anymore to an extent. Fear is a powerful tool on defense. I understand the safety aspect of it, but man I miss the days when just having that thumper back there that would just physically destroy someone could change a football game.

after looking like he just ended his season matt ryan should have just pointed to the scoreboard.

pussification, PC, whatever you want to call it there's no excuse for taunting an injured player. especially when you didn't make a play.

lay someone out and talk **** on your way up? sure, go ahead.

have a qb nearly snap his ankle because of his own player and you start talking **** while he's writhing in pain on the ground? that's childish. as a football player you should respect injuries, because one can just as easily end your career.

maybe it had something to do with the fact that big bullies have taken two shots to the chin and suddenly they don't know what to do.

it all comes down to their coach. a guy who loves to talk **** when things are good, but doesn't know how to act when someone gives him what he's been throwing out.

The Lions have gotten way ahead of themselves... Win a freakin playoff game before you start acting like a damn fool... like you've already won something significant... The Lions coach is a showboating a-hole if you ask me... so it doesn't shock me that his team is starting to take on his premature celebratory ways and habits. Whatever happened to winning with class?

I didn't necessarly mean physically picking the guy up, but just simply moving on with your business, keeping your mouth shut, and pounding again on the next play. Hard physcial, even nasty to some degree play, but respectful.

And, Suh wasn't even part of the play. It is one thing to slam the player down, get up and taunt him, quite another to watch a guy trip on his own player, get hurt, and taunt him. A little classless. But, that is just me.

I've seen LT lose his mind in a panic when Theisman's leg snapped.

But yeah, I agree. It's part of Suh's game. Don't have a problem with it. Someone needs to be an *******.

Actually I have a problem if he kicked his feet while he was down. That's showing disrespect. I don't care if he doesn't help them up or plays hard (not dirty).

Suh responds:

Basically, my whole thing is, with all the statements, they're going to say what they want to say - he said, she said. I know, for the fact of the matter, Cliff, or anybody for that matter, would have kicked their quarterback, I'm sure there would have been a riot - there would've been a fight broken out real quick. Because I guarantee you if that would've happened to Matt Stafford, and he was on the ground and somebody kicked him, I guarantee you all hell would've broken loose. I just got done watching film, got done watching that play. If you see it, me and Cliff are standing next to each other because there's a back - there are three people on the two of us. So, with that, (the accusations are) null and void; that kills it right there. So there's no point in even - these accusations, all these different things - it means nothing to me ...

Do I need Rodney White’s respect? No.

Rodney. Nice. Word is that he was pretty pissed about the allegations while giving the interviews today.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/10/detroit_lions_ndamukong_suh_if.html

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 06:00 PM ----------

Roddy is saying he was misquoted and/or misinterpreted. Not a direct kick to Ryan, but a kicking gesture.

At air.

Suh is quickly moving up the ranks of biggest punk in the league. I get it, you're a big tough meanie, but there are plenty of guys in the league that bring the pain and don't act like complete douchers. More often than not this season the guy has been a no-show, and from what I've seen so far it looks like he's got more personal fouls than sacks.

More often than not this season the guy has been a no-show, and from what I've seen so far it looks like he's got more personal fouls than sacks.

3 Sacks

2 QB hits

17 pressures

1 batted ball

17 tackles

14 defensive stops

I think people forget that he's a DT. That's 1st in pressures, 1st in defensive stops and 5th in tackles among all DTs/NTs.

It's just his 2nd year.

I love Suh's nastiness. I wish we had some of that on our d-line.

I don't. It's the wrong kind of nastiness. Ironic, I just made a post in another thread about how I didn't care how nasty Sean Taylor was because it was awesome and scared the hell out of people. But there's a difference between getting a WR too scared to go for a ball, and yanking a QBs facemask so badly you could break his neck. Sean knew he was breaking the rules hitting guys late.. he just refused to pull up, but Suh knows damn well what he's doing when he twists and turns QBs heads and grabs them every illegal way possible. He KNOWS it's going to cost his team a play. It's like he's doing it on purpose to say '**** you I'll break the rules and hurt you'.

Sean might bark at a guy who's down, but I don't think he would have gone in front of a camera and backed it, and said the guy deserved it or some dumb **** like that. I think Suh's a big dumbass, and the wrong kind of nasty player. His 'antics' don't accomplish anything but fines.

It's why I don't like it as much anymore, in some ways. The whole "The running game is dead," "It's a passing league" ( which is somewhat misleading) stuff, the fact that you can only hit a guy in the sternum, and even then, pray you don't get flagged/fined/suspended, the fact that there are only a certain number of padded practices allowed per season now, etc etc.

It's football, it's supposed to be violent, when you try your damndest to take that away, you eventually become a flag football league. It's getting wosre every year. Guys on offense aren't even threatened anymore to an extent. Fear is a powerful tool on defense. I understand the safety aspect of it, but man I miss the days when just having that thumper back there that would just physically destroy someone could change a football game.

This has nothing to do with respecting an injured player. Sure, some of the rules are maddening in the aspect of this game, but when a guy goes down, those rules, all rules, are out the window. The wistle is blown, a guy's down. It is time to at least be respectful. If Suh had been taken out on a play, maybe rolled up on, I doubt that he or any other Lion would be okay with Falcons' players mocking and/or taunting him while he was down despite what "his game" is.

Archived