Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time for the Youth Movement to begin?

rookieskin

cause he is the coach and his son is the offensive cord. and he wants to keep himself and his son these big paychecks, if he said the team needs to be rebuilt danny might think about getting rid of him, as long as he can fool danny into thinking they are close to winning he will keep both their jobs

Yeah, that's what it is.

Hankerson can go play somewhere else. Honestly, he hasn't shown a thing in preseason or otherwise that makes me think he's a capable NFL starter. The name 'Stankerson' was well deserved.

It's not how you start it is how you finish. This guy will be productive in the NFL, he has the right attitude and work ethic.

well, we will see the youth whether they're ready or not now.

I would definitely like to see them getting time and learning the game. Nothing beats OJT.

I really like Austin and want to see as much out of him as we can get.

~Bang

cause he is the coach and his son is the offensive cord. and he wants to keep himself and his son these big paychecks, if he said the team needs to be rebuilt danny might think about getting rid of him, as long as he can fool danny into thinking they are close to winning he will keep both their jobs

Danny would think about firing Shanny because he thinks the team needs to be rebuilt? mmmm, Isn't that what he brought he and Bruce here for?

good news right there. So our starters now are:

RB: Torain/Helu/Royster

WR: Gaffney/Paul/Hank/Austin/Armstrong

TE: Davis/Paulsen

Awesome! Can't wait to see who we replace Royster with on the PS when he's inevitably called up. There's a couple guys out there I'd like to take a look at. Real flier type, I like Mario Fanin, who broke his leg a few months ago. Depending on how he's looking right now, he could be a good stash. But he's probably the type you'd rather sign to a futures contract near the end of the season, when you can better evaluate him. Beast measurables, though.

Awesome! Can't wait to see who we replace Royster with on the PS when he's inevitably called up. There's a couple guys out there I'd like to take a look at. Real flier type, I like Mario Fanin, who broke his leg a few months ago. Depending on how he's looking right now, he could be a good stash. But he's probably the type you'd rather sign to a futures contract near the end of the season, when you can better evaluate him. Beast measurables, though.

hes the dude with the blazing 40 time but is insanely raw as an RB. not sure hes even available or where he is. im down to bring in anybody for all i care lol.

hes the dude with the blazing 40 time but is insanely raw as an RB. not sure hes even available or where he is. im down to bring in anybody for all i care lol.

Yeah, he had a very impressive speed-to-size ratio at the combine, but is very raw. But he's the kind of guy Shanahan could mold. I'm pretty sure he was cut with an injury settlement...or he's on someone's IR. That's possible.

This franchise remains in such disarray that it's no longer sad or agonizing but it's now rather comical. Those looking for a rebuild, much like myself for the last 6 seasons, might as well stop now. We have a FO, run by Shanahan, that has clearly decided that we will do what no one has ever done and that is trying to win now while we "rebuild". Fact is we are damn lucky to not be 1-5 and now that the league has seen how to attack our defense we will be lucky to finish 6-10.

This franchise remains in such disarray that it's no longer sad or agonizing but it's now rather comical. Those looking for a rebuild, much like myself for the last 6 seasons, might as well stop now. We have a FO, run by Shanahan, that has clearly decided that we will do what no one has ever done and that is trying to win now while we "rebuild". Fact is we are damn lucky to not be 1-5 and now that the league has seen how to attack our defense we will be lucky to finish 6-10.

What? The only position we're missing for a full rebuild is a young QB. That's coming. As it is we have tons of young WR's, TE's, RB's, OL. Our defense is improving, despite laying an egg this week.

We just need to plug in a rookie QB next year, and continue upgrading the OL and WR's through the draft and FA. You can only do so much at a time. We're rebuilding just fine, after a costly mistake with McNabb.

The announcers were saying during the game that Hankerson ran the wrong route. If Beck said in his post game interview that the int was on him, so be it. Thanks for the clarification.

If you watch the presser:

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/John-Beck-10-24/a2dd2d42-82dd-4c3d-a6db-597a7e1dcee5

Yes Beck did say it was on him, but I still think it was on Hankerson as everyone said and Beck was just trying to protect the young rookie from the pounding he was taking for running the wrong route.

Anyway, I am excited about seeing more of Paul, Austin, and yes Hankerson. I also want to see Helu get more carries. It sucks that we are seeing them because of injuries to other players, but it will be nice to see them get on the field and really be able to evaluate them.

What? The only position we're missing for a full rebuild is a young QB. That's coming. As it is we have tons of young WR's, TE's, RB's, OL. Our defense is improving, despite laying an egg this week.

We just need to plug in a rookie QB next year, and continue upgrading the OL and WR's through the draft and FA. You can only do so much at a time. We're rebuilding just fine, after a costly mistake with McNabb.

If you assume the young WR, TE, RB, and OL are actually good, and it SO SO EASY to get a good QB.

I mean Shanhan only spent 6 years looking for Elway's "replacement" (I mean if you ignore the QBs that he discarded), and we have no real idea how that actually would have worked out because he got fired (because by that point in time his defense had deteriorated and wasn't any good).

If you assume the young WR, TE, RB, and OL are actually good, and it SO SO EASY to get a good QB.

I mean Shanhan only spent 6 years looking for Elway's "replacement" (I mean if you ignore the QBs that he discarded), and we have no real idea how that actually would have worked out because he got fired (because by that point in time his defense had deteriorated and wasn't any good).

I never said it was easy, but I'm not going to assume the rookie QB we are bound to draft this spring will bust, either. What's the point of even talking about it, if you're going to assume that?

Our WR, TE, RB, and OL will be fine if we draft "our guy" at QB in the 1st, OL in the 2nd and possibly 3rd as well, and look at a #1 WR and some OL in FA.

This team has a very clear path to being "rebuilt", and with some tweaks, what I posted above, in my opinion, is it.

Bowe in FA. Grubbs as well, hopefully?

Griffin or Tannehill in the 1st, depending on how much this season is about to go down the drain and hence, where we draft.

OL anywhere we can, where there's value.

I feel you optimism ConnSkin but you have my rebuttal in your post. You can not rebuild until you have the long term unquestioned team leader to build around. I love some of the young guys Shanahan has brought in, don't get me wrong, but until we secure a franchise QB we're just chasing our tail. We also have to realize once we get said QB on the squad we have 3 long years of growing pains until the QB really figures the game out.

I feel you optimism ConnSkin but you have my rebuttal in your post. You can not rebuild until you have the long term unquestioned team leader to build around. I love some of the young guys Shanahan has brought in, don't get me wrong, but until we secure a franchise QB we're just chasing our tail. We also have to realize once we get said QB on the squad we have 3 long years of growing pains until the QB really figures the game out.

Oh, I agree with you on that. I've been saying all day that I feel that this is just a wasted season now, without our franchise QB.

But I'm just saying that I don't think its impossible to draft that guy this coming spring, AND give him the kind of supporting cast he needs to succeed. I don't think we're too far away, once we secure that guy.

I never said it was easy, but I'm not going to assume the rookie QB we are bound to draft this spring will bust, either. What's the point of even talking about it, if you're going to assume that?

Our WR, TE, RB, and OL will be fine if we draft "our guy" at QB in the 1st, OL in the 2nd and possibly 3rd as well, and look at a #1 WR and some OL in FA.

This team has a very clear path to being "rebuilt", and with some tweaks, what I posted above, in my opinion, is it.

Bowe in FA. Grubbs as well, hopefully?

Griffin or Tannehill in the 1st, depending on how much this season is about to go down the drain and hence, where we draft.

OL anywhere we can, where there's value.

Look, I've said here somewhere in the last 2 days that I think they can be good in 2 years, but it is going to require luck. EVERYTHING is going to have to fall together. Everybody you think might be good is going to have to be good, your going to not have a serious decline or career ending injury to anybody that you have penciled in, AND you have to get the QB.

When you talk about plugging somebody in that sounds like to me you are considering it a done deal. Just draft a guy and plug him in and wala

I've been mantaining here for YEARS (back to Gibbs II) now that this team isn't a few minor tweaks away and isn't going to get better quickly w/o getting lucky on a QB (essentially getting a HOF caliber QB) and so isn't likely to happen in only a few years.

I haven't seen anything that affects that.

I'd guess we're 4 or 5 years out if we aren't UNLUCKY (in which case, it'll even be longer and probably a new coaching staff).

Oh, I agree with you on that. I've been saying all day that I feel that this is just a wasted season now, without our franchise QB.

My problem with Shanahan is that other then flirting with the Rams for the right to draft Bradford, he has shown no interest in getting that young QB. He has been full steam ahead with Grossman/Beck and I feel he thinks we can win with them if the supporting cast is developed around them.

Look, I've said here somewhere in the last 2 days that I think they can be good in 2 years, but it is going to require luck. EVERYTHING is going to have to fall together. Everybody you think might be good is going to have to be good, your going to not have a serious decline or career ending injury to anybody that you have penciled in, AND you have to get the QB.

When you talk about plugging somebody in that sounds like to me you are considering it a done deal. Just draft a guy and plug him in and wala

I've been mantaining here for YEARS (back to Gibbs II) now that this team isn't a few minor tweaks away and isn't going to get better quickly w/o getting lucky on a QB (essentially getting a HOF caliber QB) and so isn't likely to happen in only a few years.

I haven't seen anything that affects that.

I'd guess we're 4 or 5 years out if we aren't UNLUCKY (in which case, it'll even be longer and probably a new coaching staff).

Looking at what we've already got in place, and how we got it in place, I just don't think there's any reason to be so pessimistic. I don't see it. But that requires ignoring everything pre-Allen that isn't Shanahan/Allen's fault, and only looking at this as 1.5-2 years into a seriously daunting rebuilding project. I feel good about where we are now, outside of QB, and don't see it being an impossible task to get where we need to be, with the right moves.

Looking at what we've already got in place, and how we got it in place, I just don't think there's any reason to be so pessimistic. I don't see it. But that requires ignoring everything pre-Allen that isn't Shanahan/Allen's fault, and only looking at this as 1.5-2 years into a seriously daunting rebuilding project. I feel good about where we are now, outside of QB, and don't see it being an impossible task to get where we need to be, with the right moves.

What have we got in place?

My problem with Shanahan is that other then flirting with the Rams for the right to draft Bradford, he has shown no interest in getting that young QB. He has been full steam ahead with Grossman/Beck and I feel he thinks we can win with them if the supporting cast is developed around them.

You don't know that. It basically came out that we were hoping for Dalton in the 2nd. Locker could have been our guy, unattainable. We could have been hoping that Ponder fell. You just never know.

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

What have we got in place?

A franchise LT, two bookend passrushers, a strong DL with depth that will only improve, a good safety tandem that might need some improved depth, depending on Gomes' development. A dynamic starting TE, and good depth there. Good #2/3/4 corners, with a need for a strong cover guy. We have needs at ILB as well.

We have serviceable, but replaceable, guys at both G positions and RT. Young talent at RB, TE, and WR that will shine with a QB and possibly a #1 WR pickup in FA.

Basically, you need a few things to build a great team, in my opinion:

A franchise-caliber QB, even if he's still developing. The talent just has to be there.

A franchise-caliber LT.

Dangerous pass-rushers.

A strong, deep DL.

A playmaking WR.

I think that we have most of these things. And based on the hypothesis that we attain our franchise QB this year, and can sign a #1 WR in FA, I'm pretty confident that the direction this team is going in is a good one. Draft picks bolstering depth on the OL and at ILB would help as well, but you can't do it all in one year.

Archived