Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After the loss, now what?

Diesel__44

So our Redskins run the ball effectively (4 YPC) and get good QB play from Beck (22- 37 279 YDs 1 TD 1 INT (Hank) AND we still lose by 13 to a 1-5 team that committed 14 penalties with a rookie QB at the helm. Now what? I had modest expectations considering Rex/Beck and our lack of offensive playmakers but I’m wondering where Redskin Nation thinks we’ll end up considering we had two measuring stick games in back to back weeks...One to see if we were on top and the other to see if we were on the bottom.

Just looking for honest thoughts..

Now I'll go back to burning and cutting myself. lol nah. I'll just try to be patient and take the crap from all my Cowboy fans and dream about a world with Redskins W's lol. I'll still watch but I'll keep my tissue handy in every game.

I could never predict the season record right now. They are so inconsistent, they could surprise you both ways.

I predicted 8-8, but right now i really don't know. And to be honest it really doesn't matter what i think. But what i'm wondering is, what can we do to get better? It just seems that we go through the same crap every year. Whether it be Gibbs 2.0, Zorn, now Shanny, we can't seem to score any points. Why can't we ever seem to get players that other teams fear? Last week its Vick, McCoy, Jackson... This week its Cam and Steve Smith... Next week its Fitzpatrick and Jackson.... OMG, i'm just so tired of us not having the ammo to compete!! *sigh*

We're still years away from being a contender.

I agree and said as much with my modest expectations mention but teams can turn around quickly and we've been perpetually rebuilding. Consider this...In their first 22 games with the Redskins: Jim Zorn 10-12, Shanahan 9-13.

Mock drafts.

Power rankings have been replaced by mock drafts. Very true.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

Zorn inherited a win-now team built by Gibbs while Shanahan inherited a team built by Vinny.

I don't disagree, however trading for McFlabb was a win now move. I'm not in the Fire Shanahan camp (not the dad) but "you play to win the game".

Somewhere between 3-13 and 5-11.

Which in the grand scheme of things might just be the best possible outcome.

Hail.

I still can't bring myself to buy into this mindset completely, but I'm coming around to it...reluctantly. I find myself wanting to see almost all younger players at this point. I got more excited for Paulsen and Austin catches than Gaffney ones.

This won't be a popular response, I'm sure, but patience will yield results.

The D had a disappointing day, for sure, but that is bound to happen from time to time with any team. Hopefully Haslett and Co. will make the right adjustments as we go forward.

I've seen people b&$ch and moan about our QB situation in other threads, but honestly Beck did a pretty good job today given the situation. Our receivers didn't help much.

We need to get better at the fundamentals and the wins will come.

Power rankings have been replaced by mock drafts. Very true.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

I don't disagree, however trading for McFlabb was a win now move. I'm not in the Fire Shanahan camp (not the dad) but "you play to win the game".

I'm not in a coach defending mood tonight...:ols: but I was just illustrating what might explain Zorn's 8 wins in year 1 vs. Shanahan's 6.

I still can't bring myself to buy into this mindset completely, but I'm coming around to it...reluctantly. I find myself wanting to see almost all younger players at this point. I got more excited for Paulsen and Austin catches than Gaffney ones.

Or Gaffney drops and fumbles in back to back plays. Guys like Gaffney are stop gaps until we actually acquire some legit WRs. With Moss out our WR corps are less than pedestrian.

We swallow the tough pill. We take any wins from here out as gravy, fully realizing we are probably not going anywhere substantial this season. We look to another off-season of key free-agent pick ups, and another huge draft class. We keep the faith, and hope for better days.

For the fans that can't do this, than I suggest you move on. There is no point in rooting for a team if you have no faith or hope.

5-11 at best. We are regressing just as we did in years prior. I think we are 4 years from even being competitive so if Shanny wants to turn this team around he'll have to resign. Which brings up other questions, Mike is what, 59-60 years old? How long does he stay? Has the game past him by as well?(Gibbs 2.0) Are we looking at another new scheme and staff in a few years?

Or Gaffney drops and fumbles in back to back plays. Guys like Gaffney are stop gaps until we actually acquire some legit WRs. With Moss out our WR corps are less than pedestrian.

If Gaffney is truly just a stopgap, then end it now. In reality, he's even less valuable with Beck than he is with Grossman. Why not move forward with Armstrong, Paul, and Austin while Moss is out? Let Hankerson get some reps too. Just turn the page on the older guys like we did with Galloway last year. This is even more relevant if we drop 2 more games in a row. If we are 3-5 and on a 4-game losing streak, play for the future.

Steve Smith ate our entire secondary (safeties included) for lunch all day today. He was torching any 1 or 2 players covering him. It may not have been his statistical best day ever but I don't know if I've seen him look that good in 3 years. I was dissing DHall loudly in the 2nd quarter until I realized that Josh was getting beat by Smith as well. Then I saw tandems getting foiled by the guy. I think he even beat tightly triangulated coverage on one play. Insane. I don't think we'd have lost that game if we'd just gotten any sort of a handle at all on Steve Smith.

If Gaffney is truly just a stopgap, then end it now. In reality, he's even less valuable with Beck than he is with Grossman. Why not move forward with Armstrong, Paul, and Austin while Moss is out? Let Hankerson get some reps too. Just turn the page on the older guys like we did with Galloway last year. This is even more relevant if we drop 2 more games in a row. If we are 3-5 and on a 4-game losing streak, play for the future.

I agree totally with this assessment. What can it hurt at this point to give the young fellas an opportunity?

Gibbs inherited a ****y team built by Steve Spurrier. He had them run the table his second year as head coach. Vinny was also his GM then. Gibbs is the man.

He is and I won't get into comparing my favorite coach of all time to Shanahan. However, Gibbs also had the ability to bring in all of his players in year one which gave them a season to gel. With the odd off-season of last year, Shanahan was very limited. Shanahan also had to clean up our cap and that limited him in year one. Gibbs at least took over for a coach whose roster was full of "cheap and available" players...no cap mess.

Archived