Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bump and Run Please!!

montyzachamp

There are two problems with our coverage and neither one of them has to do with playing off the receiver. (1) Our underneath coverage is rather underwhelming at times, especially when we drop an OLB back and (2) our pass rush is wildly inconsistent. We get sacks but we also give opposing QBs way too much time to find holes in the zone.

Can any of our corners cover period?

Josh Wilson played a good game despite the big plays against him. There are not very many players in this league who can stop perfectly timed, perfectly placed throws to Steve Smith. The safety help on that side of the field was also very poor.

Hall hasn't played a good game this year but he wasn't terrible in coverage today, either.

We were exposed today. I have been saying all season that our corners are suspect. Last week I just credited it to Vick being Vick. This week I could say that it is just Cam being Cam, but I can go one step further. If our pass rush isn't getting an extraordinary amount of pressure our corners will be in trouble. I know that any team secondary is in trouble without a pass rush, but if the pass rush isn't extraordinary, our CBs will always under perform.

I am not saying that Hall, Wilson, and Barnes aren't good. They are playmakers, but that might me the problem. For how good of a playmaker they are, they are equally bad at pure coverage skills. We will get better in the secondary in the off-season, I am sure of it. Until then, we need our pass rush to be on point.

Bump and run = Bump and burned for these cornerbacks. I actually think that Wilson played a very good game today; he had great coverage on Smith, but those passes were PERFECTLY thrown, and any safety help was invariably late in arriving. Hall still allows too much pre-snap cushion, and has been doing so for a long time. I don't like it, but if he can't effectively play bump and run, then I guess that's the reason.

Barnes adds very little; can't cut everybody.......but I doubt he'll still be with the team after the next off-season concludes.

This frustrated me a lot about Haslett last year, but this year (besides last 2 games), the results are MUCH better and the D is one of the better in the league.

I'm sticking with- Philly and Carolina are fast, high scoring teams, and the Redskins D was no exception. Time will tell, but so far, this year, I'm cool with Has. He amped up the blitzing, and it's been effective. Leading/being tied for sacks in the league is no accident. He needs to stick with the 9 blitz (at times). It works. It makes all that space the CBs are giving look great when they swoop in and snare in a pass from a heavily pressured QB.

I would think if you're not giving pressure, and pass is a big possibility, you would want to jam steve smith at the line, but I'm no D coordinator.

This frustrated me a lot about Haslett last year, but this year (besides last 2 games), the results are MUCH better and the D is one of the better in the league.

I'm sticking with- Philly and Carolina are fast, high scoring teams, and the Redskins D was no exception. Time will tell, but so far, this year, I'm cool with Has. He amped up the blitzing, and it's been effective. Leading/being tied for sacks in the league is no accident. He needs to stick with the 9 blitz (at times). It works. It makes all that space the CBs are giving look great when they swoop in and snare in a pass from a heavily pressured QB.

I would think if you're not giving pressure, and pass is a big possibility, you would want to jam steve smith at the line, but I'm no D coordinator.

I thought it was funny that so many people gave him so much crap for playing Cover 0, and then we didn't play it a whole lot today when we needed the added pressure and it's all "OUR CORNERS ARE GETTING BURNT!"

We weren't generating pressure, even when we bought tons of people. We did in the first half, but they adjusted in the second half. Carolina's blitz pick up is nuts; our d-line got no push against a great o-line, and they always seemed to have blockers to pick up the extra guys. We rushed seven on a play and every last guy got picked up. Cam was practically kicking his feet up in a hammock all day. When you give any quarterback that kind of time, he's going to fine the open guy, especially with a receiver like Steve Smith.

No one wants to give Cam and the Carolina Panthers any credit for playing a great game.

Looking at the monday night game Ravens and Jags. The jags played bump and run all day and was succesful. IMO The jags dont have great cover coners but the game plan was to blitz and at least slow down the fast recievers before they got started and it worked all night. Maybe Haslett should call Jags D cordinator and get some tips!!

the great thing about bump and run is you actually bump the receivere off of his route...therefore it takes longer for him to get up to fullspeed and/or u can bump him off his route and he'll have to break it off sooner and/or YOU STOP GIVING UP THE QUICK SLANT FOR AN EASY 3RD AND 3 PICKUP BECAUSE UR RIGHT THERE...seems common sense to me

Can any of our CB's Play bump and run. If we sit ten yards back all day, of course they will have a field day on us. Please no Reed Doughty he can support the run but cannot play the pass. What do you think?

bum and run was outlawed when they said you couldnt touch a rcvr 5 yards past the line..ahh the good old days,, but of course for people not old enough to remember those days, its kinda like kids today call a tuner car a muscle car....even tho i guess if your talking about the one shot at the rvcr before he goes 5 yds, we dont do it because our conerbacks cant cover one on one that good

Does anyone know what bump and run does? Bump and run slows down the timing of the WR and the QB. That provides the DL with some extra time to get to the QB. So why don't we do that? On third and long we need that and some of these completions will be limited. Bump and run is just another part of the Zone defensive package which you can provide safety help over the top on their primary or hot WR, ie Steve Smith. Giving opposing WR's with a free release off the line is a recipe for disaster.

Does anyone know what bump and run does? Bump and run slows down the timing of the WR and the QB. That provides the DL with some extra time to get to the QB. So why don't we do that? On third and long we need that and some of these completions will be limited. Bump and run is just another part of the Zone defensive package which you can provide safety help over the top on their primary or hot WR, ie Steve Smith. Giving opposing WR's with a free release off the line is a recipe for disaster.

EXACTLY!!! ding ding ding...another pt i forgot in my post...

(2) our pass rush is wildly inconsistent. We get sacks but we also give opposing QBs way too much time to find holes in the zone.

This is an important factor. We generate sacks, but not pressure on a consistent basis. It seems that at some point in every game, opposing QBs settle into a nice rhythm against us and have nice clean passing lanes with no one in their face. No doubt Cam is a good QB, but he generally had a huge pocket to work in during many of Carolina's scoring drives in the second half.

Back on topic though, I do think mixing up some bump and run coverage would be good, esp when opposing teams start moving the ball against us. At those points, we should switch to a cover-2 (keeping 2 safeties back), roll the dice, and play bump and run. If you can't disrupt the QB's rhythm, then you need to disrupt the WR timing.

its almost a myth that an NFL corner can't cover. Fact is the play of our corners have been predictable for years which makes their jobs that much harder. We are getting some pressure up front this year, but as mentioned it is wildly inconsistent. A good OC can tell his receivers to run down field on our predictable 10 yard cushion and read the corner, and break the other way. Until we get consistent pressure up front, no NFL corner is going to excel in our defense.

Its a damn shame Haslett called off the blitz after we got burned on the big scramble in the first. He and the previous DC seem afraid of scrambling QB's, rookie QB's, one armed QB's (think Kurt Warner broken elbow a few years back).... no pressure up front, the only hope is tight man. Bump and run would be most welcome as well. Did you see Baltimore get punked last night? I know our DC's dont like to get burned deep and lay the corners off, but when you lose games year after year anyways, why not try and be aggressive on the corners for a game.

Josh Wilson played a good game despite the big plays against him. There are not very many players in this league who can stop perfectly timed, perfectly placed throws to Steve Smith. The safety help on that side of the field was also very poor.

Hall hasn't played a good game this year but he wasn't terrible in coverage today, either.

agreed. our corners are the least of our concern defensively. Josh wilson actually had decent coverage on smith, but Newtons throws were literally perfect sunday

agreed. our corners are the least of our concern defensively. Josh wilson actually had decent coverage on smith, but Newtons throws were literally perfect sunday

and why was this? because for some reason whenever we face a rookie qb we decide to not blitz and hope we can confuse them with our zone...if we hit him evertyime he drops back those throws wont be in rhythm and so 'perfect'

and why was this? because for some reason whenever we face a rookie qb we decide to not blitz and hope we can confuse them with our zone...if we hit him evertyime he drops back those throws wont be in rhythm and so 'perfect'

well i would love to provide a reasonable explanation for this, but i cant. for some reason rookie qb's look like all pros against us

Archived