Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your ideal qb prototype?

Burgold

What is the qb type you most want for the Redskins? When next we go to the draft or look for the qb of the future (unless Beck turns out to be him already) which qb prototype is the guy you'd like us to go after.

Dan Marino, Peyton Manning-- Rocket arm, quick release, accurate, but a statue

Steve Young, Mike Vick-- Great mobility, good arm

John Elway, Brett Farve-- Great arm, excellent mobility... high risk throws

Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Tom Brady-- above average arm, great anticipation, student of the game

Aaron Rodgers. Mobility, Rocket Arm, Accurate, Smart.

Everything you want in a QB, he's got IMO.

I think I'd put Aaron in the Steve Young grouping. Steve was also very accurate and had an above average arm. Not sure if Aaron really has the best arm out there, but it's far more than good enough for most throws. Could he out chuck an Elway or Farve in their primes? I doubt it, but can he get it in the hands of a receiver in stride forty yards down the field. Yup.

Edit: Rypien is your Dan Marino type, I'd say. I loved Ryp too. Incredible underdog kind of qb made great and still one of the best qb seasons in NFL history.

On a pure shot put level, does Vick really have that strong an arm? Maybe it's his size.

Vick's velocity is off the charts and its all from the flick of a wrist.

He can launch a ball a very long way, which is why I think a pure WCO is a poor fit for him. A play action, downfield game fits his skillset much better.

Prototype QB? Not to add to the hyperbole about this kid, but Luck has a little bit of all the QBs you put up there. Great arm, quick release, very mobile, great size, student of the game (calling his own plays as a junior in college), great leader. Thats why so many of us are so high on him

Vick's velocity is off the charts and its all from the flick of a wrist.

He can launch a ball a very long way, which is why I think a pure WCO is a poor fit for him. A play action, downfield game fits his skillset much better.

Prototype QB? Not to add to the hyperbole about this kid, but Luck has a little bit of all the QBs you put up there. Great arm, quick release, very mobile, great size, student of the game (calling his own plays as a junior in college), great leader. Thats why so many of us are so high on him

agree. he looks to have everything except blazing speed. but that's not needed for the position anyways.

A combination of Vick and Brady.

What, Brady's mobility and Vicks accuracy and ability to read coverage from the pocket?

All the QBs Burgold lists are great (or at least very good QBs - even Vick though I'm not a fan) so you would be happy to have any of them and tailor your system and supporting cast to their strengths. Given a choice though I would take the student of the game with the above average arm who can read coverage and shred you from the pocket.

Archived