Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Have Lost Respect For Mike Francesa Of Fan/Yes Network.

DM72

He just got done having an interview/confrontation with Darrelle Revis. They got into a confrontation about the non pass interference call against Brandon Marshell this past Monday night. It started out as just teasing, but you could tell as Mike kept requesting Revis to admit he got away with one, Revis started to get annoyed. The interview ended when someone of the Jets PR, told Revis to hang up.

This is where I lose respect for Mike Francesa. After the interview, he's claiming that they should not have cut off the interview. Mike's been in the business long enough to know that the interview was not gonna end good. He acted as if he didn't know Revis was getting pissed. Mike was quickly called out on it by some callers. Needless to say, the callers that were calling Mike out on it, didn't stay on the air to long. The callers that were backing Mike up, got as much time as they needed.

My point is, if you're gonna give the people that agree with you the time they need to voice an opinion, you should do the same for the callers that don't agree with you. Mike made himself look bush league.

with so many outlets and voices, we're actually in the dark ages of sports talk and sports journalism. Anybody with a website (including myself) can go on and on about something. Then when you talk to the athletes or coaches.....they show in a much small sports talk world...they probably wouldn't survive.

Here is the audio

I was listening to it live when it went down. Mike is a pompous ass, but Revis sounds like a arrogant prick to me also so it's a wash in my book.

But Mike's gotta be the bigger man and let it go. Did he actually expect Revis to say, "yeah, I got away with one."

And lets be real, Mike is a Giants fan and he hates the Jets. I wonder if he'd push the issue if Revis played for the Giants.

But Mike's gotta be the bigger man and let it go. Did he actually expect Revis to say, "yeah, I got away with one."

And lets be real, Mike is a Giants fan and he hates the Jets. I wonder if he'd push the issue if Revis played for the Giants.

Oh you're completely right Mike definitely knew he was pushing buttons with the guy and should've laid off.

I don't have any problem with it.. he got a little pushy, and got hung up on for his trouble.

What's the big deal?

Fact is, revis IS all over Marshall on the play.. it's illegal hands, illegal touching beyond five yards AND pass interference.

I don't expect Revis to own up to it, but I don't think Francessa was wrong in pointing it out and trying to get him to own it.

If you ask me, the guy who screwed up was the Jets PR guy who stepped in like Revis' dad.

The Jets talk a lot of ****, and then hang up on people if they call them out.

What a joke. I'll now be rooting against them more than I usually do and laughing when they fail.

~Bang

Bang you couldn't of put it any better! Been listening to Mike for a long time, lets just say he is not a fan of Rex and the Jets but Revis should of never hung up its that simple. And not a fan of Revis playing the "You never played the game card" either, just showed he had no argument.

Bang you couldn't of put it any better! Been listening to Mike for a long time, lets just say he is not a fan of Rex and the Jets but Revis should of never hung up its that simple. And not a fan of Revis playing the "You never played the game card" either, just showed he had no argument.

What was he supposed to say? Francesa asked him a question and Revis answered it. MORE THAN ONCE!!! As an interviewer, you're not supposed to become part of the story. Francesa did just that. That interview WAS NOT gonna end well, so Revis did the right thing.

And Francesa hangs up on people that don't agree with him all the time.

What was he supposed to say? Francesa asked him a question and Revis answered it. MORE THAN ONCE!!! As an interviewer, you're not supposed to become part of the story. Francesa did just that. That interview WAS NOT gonna end well, so Revis did the right thing.

I know he does, i listen to him on nearly a daily basis. He knows what he is talking about, but to some and most comes off as arrogant.

What he was supposed to say was

"Hey, lets move on to something else" and try to be professional about it.

and not hide behind his daddy telling him to hang up the phone.

In fact, his little daddy PR guy issued an apology the same day that said the same thing. That he should not have told Revis to0 hang up, he should have moved him to another topic.

The New York media has a reputation for good reason. They aren't afraid to ask the tough question and keep asking it until they get an answer.

Every player or coach who goes there the question is instantly "will they be able to handle the NY media?"

And in the case of Revis, the answer is obviously NO.

Besides, sounds to me like Revis knew he got away with three penalties in one play, and he didn't like someone pointing it out.

Football isn't for ****es, and the Jets are showing themselves to be just that.

They run their mouth, talk all kinds of ****, guarantee Super Bowls, and when one of them gets called on his getting away with a penalty, the Jets PR steps in and hangs up.

.. and you "lose respect" for the guy who called him on his ****.

:ols:

Maybe francessa should have asked him something like "How's it feel to have beaten the Dolphins?" or "You're the best cornerback in the league,, what do you have to say to that?" so fans of candy radio like you could be happy while you listen to the same old pat answer that every player gives to every interviewer who tosses up the same old boring softballs.

Honestly. typically speaking the majority of player interviews are absolutely useless because no one challenges them on anything, and they all answer the same way to the same things. Predictable.

Glad to be here.

Just glad to help out.

we just gonna work hard and try and make some plays, and hopefully we win the game...

Sugarpop radio. Same ol' same ol'. The majority of sports interviews are completely brain dead.

No one has any balls. Francessa did, and HE didn't become the story,, the Jets inability to handle a tough question became the story.

Francessa hangs up on the general public, who if you haven't been paying attention are by and large a know-nothing bunch with unrealistic expectations.

The Jets showed themselves to be thin-skinned and unable to handle criticism.

Maybe they're just better when their fat mouth coach is insulting everyone around the league and promising stuff they can't deliver.

Poor Revis.

He's tough enough to commit three penalties and claim the glory for his INT return that should never have been.. but he's not tough enough to handle an old man on the phone who's asking him to account for it.

~Bang

What he was supposed to say was

"Hey, lets move on to something else" and try to be professional about it.

and not hide behind his daddy telling him to hang up the phone.

In fact, his little daddy PR guy issued an apology the same day that said the same thing. That he should not have told Revis to0 hang up, he should have moved him to another topic.

The New York media has a reputation for good reason. They aren't afraid to ask the tough question and keep asking it until they get an answer.

Every player or coach who goes there the question is instantly "will they be able to handle the NY media?"

And in the case of Revis, the answer is obviously NO.

Besides, sounds to me like Revis knew he got away with three penalties in one play, and he didn't like someone pointing it out.

Football isn't for ****es, and the Jets are showing themselves to be just that.

They run their mouth, talk all kinds of ****, guarantee Super Bowls, and when one of them gets called on his getting away with a penalty, the Jets PR steps in and hangs up.

.. and you "lose respect" for the guy who called him on his ****.

:ols:

Maybe francessa should have asked him something like "Say, how's it feel to have beaten the Dolphins?" or "You're the best cornerback in the league,, what do you have to say to that?" so fans of candy radio like you could be happy while you listen to the same old pat answer that every player gives to every interviewer who tosses up the same old boring softballs.

Honestly. typically speaking the majority of player interviews are absolutely useless because no one challenges them on anything, and they all answer the same way to the same things. Predictable.

Glad to be here.

Just glad to help out.

we just gonna work hard and try and make some plays, and hopefully we win the game...

Sugarpop radio. Same ol' same ol'. (Jim Rome asks these kinds of questions. Maybe you'd be better off listening to that brain dead show.)

No one has any balls. Francessa did, and HE didn't become the story,, the Jets inability to handle a tough question became the story.

Francessa hangs up on the general public, who if you haven't been paying attention to this site for very long are by and large a know-nothing bunch of idiots with unrealistic expectations.

The Jets showed themselves to be thin-skinned and unable to handle criticism.

Maybe they're just better when their fat mouth coach is insulting everyone around the league and promising stuff they can't deliver.

Poor Revis.

He's tough enough to commit three penalties and claim the glory for his INT return that should never have been.. but he's not tough enough to handle an old man on the phone who's asking him to account for it.

~Bang

It's not Revis' job to move the interview. That's the interviewers job. And do you even watch sports? How many other corners ever say, "yeah, I got away with one." I don't blame Revis, no flag was thrown, I wouldn't have owned up to anything either.

I watch Francesa just about everyday, he just hates the Jets. If that were a Giants player, no way he grills him like he tried to do with Revis.

As for Revis hanging up on him, Francesa hangs up on just about anyone who doesn't agree with him.

It's not Revis' job to move the interview. That's the interviewers job. And do you even watch sports? How many other corners ever say, "yeah, I got away with one." I don't blame Revis, no flag was thrown, I wouldn't have owned up to anything either.

I watch Francesa just about everyday, he just hates the Jets. If that were a Giants player, no way he grills him like he tried to do with Revis.

As for Revis hanging up on him, Francesa hangs up on just about anyone who doesn't agree with him.

The interviewer obviously was not READY to move the interview from there.

If you're going to put all the responsibility for that on him, then you can't ***** about what he asks.

Well, you can. You can let your daddy pick up the extension and tell you to hang up.

Or you can be a man about it and take control of the interview by telling Francessa to move on.

Who cares if he didnt want to own it. He didn't have to. He could have laughed and said MOVE ON.

And then the pressure is on Francessa to do just that. At that point, Revis turns the interview and takes control. But he didn't. He got pissy, and his daddy had to step in and save him.

And as i said, Francessa hangs up on idiots from the general public. Not professional interviewers with decades of experience covering the NFL in the biggest market in the country.

Revis and the Jets are a bunch of big mouths with no balls to back it up.

Beating up on the Doplphins was easy.

But getting knocked around by Mike Francessa was more than they could handle.

Do I even watch football. :rotflmao:

~Bang

The interviewer obviously was not READY to move the interview from there.

If you're going to put all the responsibility for that on him, then you can't ***** about what he says.

Who cares if he didnt want to own it. He didn't have to. he could have said MOVE ON.

And then the oenus is on Francessa to do just that.

And as i said, Francessa hangs up on idiots from the general public. Not professional interviewers with decades of experience.

Revis and the Jets are a bunch of big mouths with no balls to back it up.

Beating up on the Doplphins was easy.

But getting knocked around by Mike Francessa was more than they could handle.

Do I even watch football. :rotflmao:

~Bang

As the interviewer, it was Francesa's job to be the bigger man and he wasn't. It was obvious that Revis was getting annoyed so Francesa should have moved on. Revis was doing Francesa a favor by going on the show, not the other way around.

Mike Francesa is not always right. sometimes the general public makes better points than he does, but if they don't agree with him, they're hung up on. Talk about thinned skinned, after this interview, ANYONE that stook up for Revis, was hung up on almost immediately.

As the interviewer, his job is toget the answers to his questions, not be nice to the guy he's interviewing. Listen to Jim Rome for that.

I didn't say he was right. He did press it. I don't think that in itself is a big deal. It's refreshing to hear someone on the radio not getting the same answers out of these guys every week. Player interviews are done in their sleep. And they put anyone listening to sleep. Predictable. Dull. Vanilla.

I said Revis could have handled it differently.

As it is, you feel Francessa comes off looking bad, and I feel the Jets come off looking bad.

But what would you rather listen to? Something like this, or Jim Rome asking guys things like "You're a pretty good football player,,, what do you have to say about that?" ?

To me this is much more entertaining.

~Bang

A few things, Francesa is clearly a Giants guy. He has no love for the Jets, but he has been plenty hard on Giants players through the years.

Strahan, who is likely a HOFer so a GREAT Giants player, HATES Francesa:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-06-22/sports/29710647_1_tiki-barber-mark-lepselter-twitter-user

""Francesca is an idiot," Strahan tweeted in response.

Strahan then tweeted about a half-hour later, "I refused to do interviews with (Francesa) and his side kick years ago!""

"Strahan clarified later that his calling Francesa an idiot 'doesn't mean I'm saying Tiki is right either. I don't know why Tiki would even do that show.'"

He (and Mad Dog) had some famous run ins with Giants players of that era. They REPEATEDLY called the defense soft through the years and any time they got a defensive player from the Giants on, they'd ask them about why they were so soft (using the word soft).

Second, if you're Revis/the Jets, you have to know what you're going to get. If you can't handle, then don't do the interview. Like Strahan said about Tiki essentially, if you aren't prepared for the grief you are going to get, don't go on the show.

As the interviewer, his job is toget the answers to his questions, not be nice to the guy he's interviewing. Listen to Jim Rome for that.

I didn't say he was right. He did press it. I don't think that in itself is a big deal. It's refreshing to hear someone on the radio not getting the same answers out of these guys every week. Player interviews are done in their sleep. And they put anyone listening to sleep. Predictable. Dull. Vanilla.

I said Revis could have handled it differently.

As it is, you feel Francessa comes off looking bad, and I feel the Jets come off looking bad.

But what would you rather listen to? Something like this, or Jim Rome asking guys things like "You're a pretty good football player,,, what do you have to say about that?" ?

To me this is much more entertaining.

~Bang

I agree that most athlete interviews are boring. But lets be real, Francesa have an agenda with the Jets. I've never seen him go after Yankees or Giants personnel like that. When Tuck comes on this week, we'll be witness to one of those dull and vanilla interviews you speak of.

As for the way Revis/Jets handled it? I have no problem with it because it was not gonna end good. I thought the Jets PR did the right thing before Revis said something.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 11:21 AM ----------

A few things, Francesa is clearly a Giants guy. He has no love for the Jets, but he has been plenty hard on Giants players through the years.

Strahan, who is likely a HOFer so a GREAT Giants player, HATES Francesa:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-06-22/sports/29710647_1_tiki-barber-mark-lepselter-twitter-user

""Francesca is an idiot," Strahan tweeted in response.

Strahan then tweeted about a half-hour later, "I refused to do interviews with (Francesa) and his side kick years ago!""

"Strahan clarified later that his calling Francesa an idiot 'doesn't mean I'm saying Tiki is right either. I don't know why Tiki would even do that show.'"

He (and Mad Dog) had some famous run ins with Giants players of that era. They REPEATEDLY called the defense soft through the years and any time they got a defensive player from the Giants on, they'd ask them about why they were so soft (using the word soft).

Second, if you're Revis/the Jets, you have to know what you're going to get. If you can't handle, then don't do the interview. Like Strahan said about Tiki essentially, if you aren't prepared for the grief you are going to get, don't go on the show.

He has called the Giants and the Yankees out plenty of times for bad play or anything that bugs him, but I've never heard him go after any of them in an interview. That's why I liked Mad Dog. He wasn't a New York guy and he's have no problem asking the tough questions.

Again, as for Revis. He answered the question more than once and Francesa refused to let it go. Then Francesa says, "I'll give anything to your charity if you admit it." What is that? Why don't he give to his charity anyway?

He has called the Giants and the Yankees out plenty of times for bad play or anything that bugs him, but I've never heard him go after any of them in an interview. That's why I liked Mad Dog. He wasn't a New York guy and he's have no problem asking the tough questions.

Again, as for Revis. He answered the question more than once and Francesa refused to let it go. Then Francesa says, "I'll give anything to your charity if you admit it." What is that? Why don't he give to his charity anyway?

I don't know how long you've been listening to the show, but they, including Mike, were plenty hard on that Strahan-Barber-Seahorn era Giants when they got them to interview.

Mike loves anybody that has delivered a championship so I think Tuck gets a break there (I'd guess he'd do a very nice interview with Strahan today, but for most of his career they killed him.)

I think part of it was timing also. Any other week it wouldn't have been an issue. In a lot of other cases, people clearly would just get killed so they don't go on (like Strahan states he quit doing interviews, and I'd be willing to bet he'd kill AJ Burnett, but there's now way he'll go on the show).

Oh and he's a bigger Yankees homer than a Giants fan, and I think the show was better with Dog because he did help keep him honest. But for non-championship Giants (and I'd guess the Yankees, but I've never listened during an ear where the Yankees weren't winning championships), he was plenty tough in interviews.

DM72, are you a Jets fan?

I can't wait to hear the next interview he has with one of them.

Michael Irvin predicted that Sanchez will get benched today on NFLN.

~Bang

Can't stand the Jets, But any logical person can see Francesa was totally wrong. I believe it was a pass interference, but lets move on. I actually thought Gruden made too big of a deal on it.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 12:18 PM ----------

I don't know how long you've been listening to the show, but they, including Mike, were plenty hard on that Strahan-Barber-Seahorn era Giants when they got them to interview.

Mike loves anybody that has delivered a championship so I think Tuck gets a break there (I'd guess he'd do a very nice interview with Strahan today, but for most of his career they killed him.)

I think part of it was timing also. Any other week it wouldn't have been an issue. In a lot of other cases, people clearly would just get killed so they don't go on (like Strahan states he quit doing interviews, and I'd be willing to bet he'd kill AJ Burnett, but there's now way he'll go on the show).

Oh and he's a bigger Yankees homer than a Giants fan, and I think the show was better with Dog because he did help keep him honest. But for non-championship Giants (and I'd guess the Yankees, but I've never listened during an ear where the Yankees weren't winning championships), he was plenty tough in interviews.

He wouldn't kill AJ because he wouldn't risk alienating the Yankees.

Archived