Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raccoon Dogs skinned alive to make knockoff Uggs

NoCalMike

Seriously humanity? Horrible on you. Again.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/10/raccoon-dogs-skinned-alive-to-make-knockoff-uggs.php

Companies that produce leather and fur goods are no stranger to criticism from animal rights groups for their treatment of livestock -- but even standard industry practice seems humane in light of horrific scenes recorded at a fur farm in Indonesia. According to the Humane Society International (HSI), and as evidenced in shocking footage acquired by investigators, some breeders are skinning animals alive and using their fur to make cheap knockoffs of the popular Australian boot, known as uggs.

There is a video available if you follow the link. I didn't watch it. Won't do it, but for those that can handle inhumane treatment of animals, go ahead.

Um... huh?

Gee, this is shocking. I can't believe this happens and our consumerism pays for it. I mean I've heard of things like this before, but I didn't think it could be real, even though I hear storys almost daily that are just like it, from various other animal related industries. I just refuse to believe this.

Better?

This makes no sense. Skinning a live animal would be much much more difficult than skinning a dead one. These people are clearly pretty sadistic. Love that the fur is murder crowd is out in full force; you are adorable. The average person (vegans, vegetarians, and organic lovers included) have NO CLUE how their food, clothing, or anything they buy is produced. Unless you were there for every step of production until you bought it you can't honestly say you are knowledgeable consumer. To say the consumer is buying the process means they know the process, I say even the most educated consumer is ignorant of the vast majority of the process to create, ship, and store the goods they buy.

For the record, the dog fur was used on knockoff Uggs, meaning that if you bought them at a black market you may have been taken. If you bought your Uggs at a legitimate retail establishment, not so much. Additionally, this practice takes place in the far east (Indonesia to be exact), and the far east has a long and storied tradition of raising dogs for these purposes - to include the fur, skin, and also meat. This is not happening in Wyoming, Utah or anywhere else in the US.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 09:29 AM ----------

so if you buy a fur coat where do you think the fur comes from? that's a serious question.

maybe you assume the animal is dead before it is skinned and that makes it okay to you? i seriously want to know..

Believe it or not, some people actually find nothing wrong with using animal fur and hide for clothing purposes, and even food. Does that mean that they condone mistreating animals? Nope, just as those that use banks do not condone illegal practices on Wall St.

It's not my responsibility to find out where the products of my choice come from, therefor, I am removed of any blame and all results are nonconsequential.

Missed my point entirely buddy. My point was you're holier than thou attitude is severely misplaced. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone... You really think YOU know everything about the products you buy? I bet you have an Ipod or Mac... Many parts made by child labour, the end result when you are done with your computer usually being "recycled" by African children working in a toxic dumpsite.

Most people who buy fur assume the animal is killed humanely, same as a slaughterhouse or meat processing plant. When that is found not to be the case in some instances, people are surprised and upset I can't imagine why they would skin the animals alive; it makes no sense for anyone and is sadistic.

Missed my point entirely buddy. My point was you're holier than thou attitude is severely misplaced. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone... You really think YOU know everything about the products you buy? I bet you have an Ipod or Mac... Many parts made by child labour, the end result when you are done with your computer usually being "recycled" by African children working in a toxic dumpsite.

Most people who buy fur assume the animal is killed humanely, same as a slaughterhouse or meat processing plant. When that is found not to be the case in some instances, people are surprised and upset I can't imagine why they would skin the animals alive; it makes no sense for anyone and is sadistic.

Well buddy, I go out of my way to find out where things come from for exactly that reason. I know I'm not perfect and I do buy some things with cruelty behind them, but at least I make an effort. Just because it's hard to do and I will go without at times, doesn't give me a holier than thou attitude, maybe it just seems like it when you have a defeatist, there is nothing I can do attitude.I think my posting history backs up my comments in this thread.

So, essentially, since I can't know everything about everything, I should stick my head in the sand? Well, this diamond was probably a conflict diamond, but **** it, since it's conceivable that my Mac was made with the help of child labor?

Well buddy, I go out of my way to find out where things come from for exactly that reason. I know I'm not perfect and I do buy some things with cruelty behind them, but at least I make an effort. Just because it's hard to do and I will go without at times, doesn't give me a holier than thou attitude, maybe it just seems like it when you have a defeatist, there is nothing I can do attitude.I think my posting history backs up my comments in this thread.
Do you use a bank? Yet I bet that you support the OWS movement. I don't buy products from places I know import from slave labor areas. However, I have plenty of products made in China in my house. I try to buy mostly made in America products, but it is impossible to do so entirely while living on a budget. I drive a Chevy and a Saturn. I get my beef from a friend of the family who raises free range, all natural cows (they raise just a few, like 5 every year, and slaughter 2 or 3 per year). I buy my pork (except bacon) from the local hog farm that sells at the local farmers market. I buy as many fruits and veggies at the local farmers market. But there are just some things that you have to buy from box stores, like work clothes, shoes, jeans, Redskins stuff.....

Not that why matters, in the grand scheme of things, but it is a morbid curiosity of mine...why alive? It seems like it' be sooooo much harder to skin a live dog. I can't believe there are that many psychopaths that teamed up and decided to make Uggs. (the boots of serial killers???)

Not that why matters' date=' in the grand scheme of things, but it is a morbid curiosity of mine...why alive? It seems like it' be sooooo much harder to skin a live dog. I can't believe there are that many psychopaths that teamed up and decided to make Uggs. (the boots of serial killers???)[/quote']Knockoff, black market Uggs. Not actual Uggs

Do you use a bank? Yet I bet that you support the OWS movement. I don't buy products from places I know import from slave labor areas. However, I have plenty of products made in China in my house. I try to buy mostly made in America products, but it is impossible to do so entirely while living on a budget. I drive a Chevy and a Saturn. I get my beef from a friend of the family who raises free range, all natural cows (they raise just a few, like 5 every year, and slaughter 2 or 3 per year). I buy my pork (except bacon) from the local hog farm that sells at the local farmers market. I buy as many fruits and veggies at the local farmers market. But there are just some things that you have to buy from box stores, like work clothes, shoes, jeans, Redskins stuff.....
No I don't use a bank, I'm all cash. But Everything else you mentioned is great. It's good to be conscience about where your things come from, especially your food. As somebody who agrees with me, I'm not sure why you'd quote me on the bank question.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 10:22 AM ----------

Something's fishy .... That looks like the same clip that was used in Earrhlings back in 2005 ... Except that was supposed to be a fur farm in China

You're right, it does. This story is old though. It might be the same clip. It's tough to get footage of places like this. Heck, in the US, we are making it illegal to film in slaughterhouses, so that nobody ever finds out the inhumane nature of them.

I have a defeatist attitude? I control my life, you have no idea what goods I procure or don't. We all make choices. I try, same as you, maybe you try more I guess we will never know. Only difference is I'm well aware my efforts fall massively short from making any difference in the lives of exploited people and endangered animals. Doesn't change the fact I do try.

I have read your comments in other threads, you seem like someone who views themself as doing more for the world and being better educated, when in fact your views on meat-eating for example could be some of the most ignorant and uneducated I have ever encountered in my life. You find articles like this one and paint a broad brush that the entire fur industry must practice the same sadistic and cruel methods. You likened buying fur to being "cool" with skinning animals alive. If one slaughterhouse were to abuse an animal you would condemn all slaughterhouses. Just like you would believe a farm is organic because your coffee shop clerk tells you he's been to the farm. I've been to plenty of organic farms that use chemicals, and that organic food ended up in supermarkets labeled organic. You only search for information to confirm your already biased beliefs. I take offence to the attitude you give off and the broad strokes you paint entire businesses, and groups of people.

This makes no sense. Skinning a live animal would be much much more difficult than skinning a dead one. These people are clearly pretty sadistic. Love that the fur is murder crowd is out in full force; you are adorable. The average person (vegans, vegetarians, and organic lovers included) have NO CLUE how their food, clothing, or anything they buy is produced. Unless you were there for every step of production until you bought it you can't honestly say you are knowledgeable consumer. To say the consumer is buying the process means they know the process, I say even the most educated consumer is ignorant of the vast majority of the process to create, ship, and store the goods they buy.

agree.. and to reemphasize the point, what sense does it make to skin an animal while its alive. that would be extremely difficult.

agree.. and to reemphasize the point, what sense does it make to skin an animal while its alive. that would be extremely difficult.

i nthe video they do try to kill/knockout the animal by slamming it into the ground repeatedly, and step on the neck of another animal but that wasn't enough. They don't want to slit the throat because that would ruin the fur.

Archived