Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL.com : Strong Defense, Easy Schedule will lead Cowboys to division title.

steve09ru

Cowboys have the best defense in the division

Rob Ryan has quickly crafted an elite defense in Dallas that is capable of carrying the team to the postseason.

Led by Demarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff and Sean Lee, the Cowboys rank fifth in total defense and are allowing a league-low 69.6 rushing yards a game. The run defense has been spearheaded by a frontline that is owning the line of scrimmage and allows a group of ultra-aggressive linebackers to flow freely to the ball. As a result, the Cowboys are holding opponents to 3.3 yards per carry. More importantly, that number drops to 3.19 yards per attempt on first down, which allows Ryan to unleash his exotic pressure in long-yardage situations.

The blitz-heavy defense has also been effective against the pass. The unit has 16 sacks -- led by Ware's seven -- and forces opposing quarterbacks into errant throws. Although the Cowboys have failed to generate many takeaways with the blitz, the pressure makes opponents settle for quick throws and the unit has done an exceptional job rallying to the ball. Consequently, Dallas has surrendered only 15 plays of 20-plus yards, third-fewest in the league, and not given up easy scores.

This was on display against the Patriots. Dallas held the league's most explosive offense to 20 points. While the effort didn't result in a win, it showed the potential of the defense.

I guess the Skins have an "elite defense" then also.

Jason Garrett will eventually solve the red-zone woes

Dallas has a star-studded offense, but the unit has struggled in one critical area: The red zone.

The Cowboys are near the bottom of the league in red-zone efficiency with only 33.3 percent of those drives resulting in touchdowns. Their ineptitude inside the 20 has been critical in each of their losses. Turnovers, penalties and poor execution have minimized scoring opportunities. Considering the Cowboys have played in 11 straight games decided by four points or fewer, the miscues become even more important.

Part of Garrett's problems generating points has been due to the absence of Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. Both receivers have missed time while nursing injuries, and that has prevented Garrett from getting the ball to his best playmakers at critical points of a game.

However, Austin and Bryant are almost fully healthy and that will encourage Garrett to take more chances. Rather than using misdirection or deception to finish off scoring chances, the Cowboys can throw back-shoulder fades or combination routes to attack the end zone.

By putting their best players in favorable matchups, the red-zone production will certainly improve and result in more wins.

You could say the same thing about the Skins.

The schedule works in their favor

The Cowboys had a tough opening slate, but the schedule-makers did them a huge favor with several winnable games in the middle of the season. Dallas' next seven opponents have a combined winning percentage of .324, with only the Bills and Redskins currently above .500.

NFL RedZone

Watching football on Sundays will be a whole new experience with NFL Network's channel, NFL RedZone. Find out why.

The Cowboys get three home dates -- St. Louis (10/23), Seattle (10/30) and Buffalo (11/13) -- over the next four weeks, which gives them a chance to gain significant ground on their divisional rivals.

While road games against the Eagles and Redskins certainly will be tough, the Cowboys can control their own destiny down the stretch.

The Skins have a pretty easy schedule, too. Seahawks, Miami, Jets (at home), NE (at home), Minnesota, Carolina.

Pretty much just another fluff piece on the Cowboys.

It's not their schedule is full of gimmies, it's just that the teams they are going to play over the next 6 games are considerably weaker then the ones they played the first 6.

Dallas arguably played the leagues strongest schedule over the first 6 games. But they are also a team that has shown they can blow any game at any point, so we'll see.

It's not their schedule is full of gimmies, it's just that the teams they are going to play over the next 6 games are considerably weaker then the ones they played the first 6.

Dallas arguably played the leagues strongest schedule over the first 6 games. But they are also a team that has shown they can blow any game at any point, so we'll see.

Good post, Schmitty. Very on point. Dallas has a chance with a weaker schedule then the rest of the east, to make up some ground. Have you seen the Giants schedule?!? Brutal.

Dallas historically has played either up or down to their opponents. We played up to New England, Detroit etc. Mark my words, the Rams game will be close. Very close. Dallas has played in 11 straight games decided by less then 4 points. Talk about gut wrenching lol.

The Skins have a pretty easy schedule, too. Seahawks, Miami, Jets (at home), NE (at home), Minnesota, Carolina.

jets and patriochests are easy games? ...thats a stretch, no matter where the game is played..........

and this article is about Dallas not the the skins, you wanna talk about the skins go to the stadium to do so please ......HAHA...i kid, I kid.........

Yeah I agree, just another fluff piece.

Cowboys have faced the 28th - 49ers (17.7 - allowed 24 ), 29th - Jets (15.5 - allowed 27 ), 17th - Redskins (20.4 - allowed 16), 13th - Detroit (20.3 - allowed 34 ), and 1st - Pats (26.8 - allowed 20)

Redskins have faced the 25th - Rams (17.6 - allowed 10), 18th - Cards (18.2 - allowed 20), 12th - Giants (20 - allowed 14), 7th - Dallas (20.8 - allowed 18), and 3rd - Eagles (24.7 - allowed 20)

Good post, Schmitty. Very on point. Dallas has a chance with a weaker schedule then the rest of the east, to make up some ground. Have you seen the Giants schedule?!? Brutal.

The Cowboys remaining schedule (26-34 .43%) is essentially the same as the Eagles (24-28 46%) and the Redskins (27-33 45%).

The Skins also have a slight advantage in the fact that they have one fewer true road game than everybody else since they play Buffalo in Toronto.

Homer Alert! Homer Alert! If you think your team is even close to their level you have not been watching anything but the Skins. You couldn't even beat the Eagles at Home - let alone Tom Brady!!!

You wont even beat the Cowboys the next time you play them - and if not you will have been swept - so this article could hold so truth by then. Dont want to see it happen - but far from a fluff piece, the guy sees something in this team, just like you somehow see it with your "Star-studded" Offense ( LOL) - all your stars are on defense - no one knows who is on your offense. Hell Donte might be the only well known name outside of Tana. Star - studded..?

Expect the Cowboys to struggle this weekend against the Rams. I believe the Cowboys will win, but I wouldn't be suprised to see the Rams jump out to an early lead.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Rams major weakness is a complete lack of run defense, but on the other hand the Cowboys rushing offense has been pretty weak itself. Now I don't completely disagree with the article at all, but that lack of a rushing offense to this point is one reason I'm still objectively skeptical about their chances. My biggest questionmark with this team is can they put teams away and close out games.

But on the other hand, if Bradford plays he's going to be a sitting duck out there with that ankle, the Dallas pass rush could have a pretty solid day.

jets and patriochests are easy games? ...thats a stretch, no matter where the game is played..........

Sorry, I included two thoughts in that one sentence:

1) The Skins have a pretty easy schedule, too. Seahawks, Miami, Minnesota, Carolina

2) Two of their tougher games (Jets and Patriots) are at home, making them slightly easier games.

Expect the Cowboys to struggle this weekend against the Rams. I believe the Cowboys will win, but I wouldn't be suprised to see the Rams jump out to an early lead.

One thing this article really doesn't take into account is the Cowboys tendancy to collapse in November and December.

The Cowboys may very well win the division. Its a division full of average teams. I bet the 'Boys dont win either of the away games with the Skins or Eagles. I think the winner of the division will be at best 10 and 6...with 9 and 7 even being a possible division winner. And all 4 teams I bet finish within a game of eachother. This division just isnt very good right now. The Uber talented Eagles just cant consistently play as a team...though I believe they end up winning the division. The Cowboys cant handle prosperity...and Romo sits to pee is a more physically talented Rex Grossmann. The Giants are beat up on D and made a huge mistake with their Oline. And my beloved Skins have 0 passing game. All 4 can hang with anyone. None of the 4 are elite.

• 5 weeks later...
I bet most folks thought the Dolphins had no chance to win this game a couple of weeks ago. I'm actually looking forward to a good game on Thanksgiving. Just our luck the 'Fins will resort back to their play from the earlier part of the season.
I hope they down resort back to that. They have really looked like a team that is coming together the past few weeks, and Dallas is usually a team that thinks too much of themselves and over looks the "bad teams." Hopefully, it wil be a good game!

The weird thing about this Thanksgiving is the first game matters. I haven't seen a Lions team that's relevant at Thanksgiving since I was a kid it seems like.

It depends on which Cowboys team shows up. I think Romo sits to pee had some accuracy problems early on Sunday, and the defense looked like they were at about 3/4 speed for parts of the game.. The special teams is anything but special, but that's been pretty consistently bad this year, outside of Dan Bailey. Another wrinkle to this is the Cowboys and Dolphins are really familiar with one another. There's a whole bunch of ex-Cowboys on the Dolphins, including Matt Moore, who started a game against the Cowboys when he was a Panther.

I'm definitely not anticipating a blowout.

Speaking of the division, I just want to point out that its possible for the Cowboys to get swept by the Giants and still win the division. The Cowboys have the Dolphins and Cardinals up next. If they take care of business in those games, they'll be 8-4 when they play the Giants in Cowboys Stadium. The Giants next game is at New Orleans on Monday, then they get the Packers. So in all likelihood, they'll be 6-6 coming into the Cowboys game. So even if they win that one, they're still a game behind. After that, if the Cowboys beat the Bucs and the Eagles, they win the division. The last game might matter for seeding, but then again, it might not.

Archived