Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should US be reimbursed approximately $1 Billion in costs of supporting Libyan War?

killerbee99

I could certainly see situations where countries could agree to pay us for the protection of our troops.

We can't impose those deals unilaterally, and after the fact.

Fair enough

So lets look at Iraq again though.

They want our troops there to protect them even after many years post-sadaam.

Shouldnt we now demand payment for continued presence?

$1 billion off of $33 billion is fine, IMO. I doubt the US deducts it though, but instead uses their help as leverage with the new Libyan government. I'm fine with that as we've helped take out a dictator whose regime has supported terrorism and now have a new government stepping up that owes us.

But the suggestions of having Iraq or Afghanistan repay us hundreds of billions of dollars is ludicrous IMO. The Libyan revolution was started by it's citizens and we along with others provided assistance. Iraq and Afghanistan we invaded, and making them incur that debt would send them spiraling backward. The suggestion reminds me of the fallout from WWI and Germany being required to pay other countries back, and that combined with global economic downturn made German money better as firewood than currency and sent the population into a vulnerable, angry state which was taken advantage of by Hitler and his party. If we forced Iraq or Afghanistan to pay us back and it sent their economies into a downward spiral and into a depression, they'd blame us, regimes could be formed against us, and we're back at square one, everything we spent up to that point to stabilize those areas is then for naught. JMHO.

I could certainly see situations where countries could agree to pay us for the protection of our troops.

We can't impose those deals unilaterally, and after the fact.

Agreed. Also I think we will get some sort of reimbursment from this down the line. I just don't think we should take it ourselves now, or demand it publicly.

$1 billion off of $33 billion is fine, IMO. I doubt the US deducts it though, but instead uses their help as leverage with the new Libyan government. I'm fine with that as we've helped take out a dictator whose regime has supported terrorism and now have a new government stepping up that owes us.

But the suggestions of having Iraq or Afghanistan repay us hundreds of billions of dollars is ludicrous IMO. The Libyan revolution was started by it's citizens and we along with others provided assistance. Iraq and Afghanistan we invaded, and making them incur that debt would send them spiraling backward. The suggestion reminds me of the fallout from WWI and Germany being required to pay other countries back, and that combined with global economic downturn made German money better as firewood than currency and sent the population into a vulnerable, angry state which was taken advantage of by Hitler and his party. If we forced Iraq or Afghanistan to pay us back and it sent their economies into a downward spiral and into a depression, they'd blame us, regimes could be formed against us, and we're back at square one, everything we spent up to that point to stabilize those areas is then for naught. JMHO.

So now that it has been around a decade after their "liberation" who should be paying for our troops to camp out there?

Fair enough

This is a different situation and it makes a lot more sense to ask for money in this case. We should demand payment imo. Cause it costs us money. My guess is that we don't ask for money because our government would do it for free anyway.

This is a different situation and it makes a lot more sense to ask for money in this case. We should demand payment imo. Cause it costs us money. My guess is that we don't ask for money because our government would do it for free anyway.

I think we are on the same rough page (at least chapter!) then.

Fair enough

You find other ways for repayment, such as share in resources. Plus, we put ourselves there, we deal with the consequences. Our continued presence is a result of a draw back plan that is gradual and born out of a desire to maintain stability through a transition period. It's our plan to still have some soldiers there, so we accept the consequences of our actions.

You find other ways for repayment, such as share in resources. Plus, we put ourselves there, we deal with the consequences. Our continued presence is a result of a draw back plan that is gradual and born out of a desire to maintain stability through a transition period. It's our plan to still have some soldiers there, so we accept the consequences of our actions.

No, they asked us to stay beyond 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13722786

Why isnt SA or Kuwait paying us for our presence?

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 01:38 PM ----------

Is that who would get the money, the troops? ;)

LOL< nope, the empty treasury coffers that we currently have.

No, they asked us to stay beyond 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13722786

Why isnt SA or Kuwait paying us for our presence?

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 01:38 PM ----------

LOL< nope, the empty treasury coffers that we currently have.

Ok, well then yes, since Iraq is asking for some troops to stay past our withdrawl deadline then they should offer some form of compensation.

SA and Kuwait as far as I know we have bases there and that's about strategy for the entire region. Are we providing either SA or Kuwait a bunch of protection or doing tasks for them? Heck, we have bases in Europe, should we be asking Germany for example for compensation? Or is it that them allowing a base on their land and our presence compensation? Iraq is now asking us to stay past the deadline, are SA and Kuwait asking us to stay to help them, or is our presence there our desire for military strategy for the Middle East? If both sides are gaining in the arrangement then compensation is not necessary I believe.

Maybe they should have. We didn't have to go in, you know.

And that is not really what this discussion is about, is it? What this discussion is about is some people seeming to think that the US can pretty much impose any after the fact "deal" on a weaker country, and pretending that there will be no diplomatic consequences from doing so (or just not caring).

This is a really stupid idea with great populist emotional appeal. Did the Tea Party or the Occupy Wall Street people come up with it?

I think you're taking the point more specifically than others.

I dont think can or should send a bill to Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya.

However, the next time a nation would like our help, I think it needs to be part of the discussion and equation.

EDIT. Just saw your other response.

We agree in principle it appears. Which means it has to be terribly wrong.

Elka....we did not have parts of the Iraq and Afghanistan population on our side?

The Kurds,Shia and Northern Tribes in Afghanistan will beg to differ

I didn't say that at all, so spare me your condescending and unnecessary remarks, like I don't know the US had allied regimes in either country. Tell me, were either having successful rebellions which only required outside assistance and no troop commitments like Libya? Nope. We invaded the other two, so to ask for repayment for invasion is ludicrous. To ask for repayment for assisting with a rebellion, when the amount is only 1/33rd of what they'll receive, is a different story and a very clear point I made. You wouldn't have missed it had you bothered to address the whole of my post instead of commenting on just one fraction of it and completely misconstruing the point. Sorry if I sound like a jerk in my response, but it's very irritating when someone argues against a point I didn't make.

Ok, well then yes, since Iraq is asking for some troops to stay past our withdrawl deadline then they should offer some form of compensation.

SA and Kuwait as far as I know we have bases there and that's about strategy for the entire region. Are we providing either SA or Kuwait a bunch of protection or doing tasks for them? Heck, we have bases in Europe, should we be asking Germany for example for compensation? Or is it that them allowing a base on their land and our presence compensation? Iraq is now asking us to stay past the deadline, are SA and Kuwait asking us to stay to help them, or is our presence there our desire for military strategy for the Middle East? If both sides are gaining in the arrangement then compensation is not necessary I believe.

Yes, we should ask for compensatyion from every country that we keep bases in.

So people want the US to turn into homeless windshield washers. Show up, do something, and then expect compensation. Prices are negotiated UP FRONT not after the fact as a "oh by the way" scam.

Would you agree that should be part of our international footprint going forward?

Let the world know this police force is no longer a volunteer.

Would you agree that should be part of our international footprint going forward?

Let the world know this police force is no longer a volunteer.

In certain situations it makes sense to negotiate up front. Libya for instance. They asked for western air power and the response should have been "sure but..." There is always a chance the people you are speaking with won't have power later and can't come through, but that's a risk that needs to be considered before making an offer. I'm not saying it has to be a signed check but if the goal is upside then agree on the front end.

"having successful rebellions which only required outside assistance and no troop commitments like Libya? ""

If ya don't want me to condescend ya are gonna need to stop using phrases like this ;)

I remember it as come protect us or he is gonna kill us all

selling it as taking the losing side in a civil war loses justification needed for UN cover

Humanitarians don't demand pay,mercenaries do.

"having successful rebellions which only required outside assistance and no troop commitments like Libya? ""

If ya don't want me to condescend ya are gonna need to stop using phrases like this ;)

selling it as taking the losing side in a civil war loses justification needed for UN cover

if we're gonna act like a world government then it might make sense to start taxing the world

mercenaries is exactly how our troops have been used. Might as well have the customers foot the bill.

Lindsey Graham was just saying on CNN that he and others are urging the administration to help out with medical relief and reconstruction and that Libya has promised to reimburse them if they do.

He says that Obama and co. are taking the idea seriously.

(this seems to be aside from what has already been done though)

Are we using our military as mercenaries?

Corporations certainly are.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

We should be reimbursed for ALOT of wars.

funny most leaders up until the US never asked, they just went ahead and paid themselves and their people handsomely.

Archived